Taycan Production Halt?

PNWTaycan4S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘91 Polar Silver 964, ‘20 Dolomite Silver Taycan 4S, ‘19 Gravity Blue Nero EV
Country flag
In two week I have tickets for the taycan factory tour, I will report back on what’s really going on.
It's an excellent tour and you'll be amazed at how few people it takes to assemble a Taycan. Make sure you also do the Mercedes Museum in addition to the Porsche Museum. If you haven't yet booked, a great hotel in Stuttgart is the EmiLu Design Hotel in the city center. Fabulous pizza at Pane E Vino next door.

Could you pack back a new GTS for me?
Sponsored

ToochMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche BMW
Country flag
I’m hearing rumours that production of new Taycans is being halted for 3 to 4 months and that the facelift will be delayed. Supposedly to try and clear the glut of new and used cars building up at dealerships.

Not an authoritative source but this YouTube Video mentions the alleged halt and goes on to cite the owner’s recent experience of getting his failed heater replaced in the shortest possible time.
This seems plausible as I have reached out to a number of dealerships in NE US looking for an allocation - there are none. We ended up finding a 4S which the dealer was aggressive with price to move the vehicle. Left me thinking there is a facelift coming ‘24.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
It's an excellent tour and you'll be amazed at how few people it takes to assemble a Taycan. Make sure you also do the Mercedes Museum in addition to the Porsche Museum. If you haven't yet booked, a great hotel in Stuttgart is the EmiLu Design Hotel in the city center. Fabulous pizza at Pane E Vino next door.

Could you pack back a new GTS for me?
Thanks for tips!! No hotel yet but will look into that one as well as the Mercedes museum. I’ve got two kids and they don’t know that they’re going :)

Redhot2474

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
If they stop production and move some cars prices will most likely at least stabilize

bluesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW F10 M5 Comp, BMW F10 550i
Country flag
End of summer I was told I could get an allocation in the next quarter. Last I heard, now it’s “maybe in a few months”. Yes, they do have a lot of Taycans sitting around. The problem for me is that they always order pretty much the same thing and that’s not the spec that I want. Same deal everywhere else I search.

Dabz

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S PB+
Country flag
friend of a friend was told they can't even place an order for a taycan right now. I'm trying to find out what dealer

Der-Schwabe

First Name
O.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes C-Class
Country flag
Not disputing some of the observations some have made but to my mind halting production of the Taycan makes little commercial sense. Looking at this month's sales figures in Germany (just released by the KBA (=equivalent of the DMV)), 379 Taycan were sold in November, so this makes it the 2nd best selling vehicle it it's segment after the Mercedes S Class and the best selling BEV in it's segment with a 24.8% increase from January to November over last year (and it is not new to the market as we all know). It is the 3rd best selling Porsche (almost level pegging with the Cayenne with 380 sold in November), only the 911 & the Macan sold better. Should production indeed be on hold, retooling for the face lift would be the only sensible explanation.

Just my two cents...:)

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
:) The annual mid-summer halt in deliveries is very different than a late year halt in production. One is part of the plan and is built into the cost of the product, the other erodes volumes, sales, and profits.
You’re assuming you know the ‘plan’, but you don’t. Porsche doesn’t produce pro rata volumes of every model equally throughout the year, nor does it changeover every production line at the same time in a given year. You must be new to Porsche. It is not uncommon for Porsche to stop production on a model during what would normally be the ‘production year’, ie during the winter.

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
You’re assuming you know the ‘plan’, but you don’t. Porsche doesn’t produce pro rata volumes of every model equally throughout the year, nor does it changeover every production line at the same time in a given year. You must be new to Porsche. It is not uncommon for Porsche to stop production on a model during what would normally be the ‘production year’, ie during the winter.
LOL 😂

Iluvcarats

First Name
Flygirl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi a7
Country flag
So this is potentially “good news” for us waiting on the new (facelifted??) model?
Yes, I was recently told that the new facelift is expected to be available this summer, not next fall. Also, dealerships outside of CA have a lot of inventory they need to sell. I canceled my order and am also waiting for the new updated facelift.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
If an employee needs to pee then what? Production comes to a halt. Fact.

Porsche Taycan Taycan Production Halt? IMG_6766

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Not disputing some of the observations some have made but to my mind halting production of the Taycan makes little commercial sense. Looking at this month's sales figures in Germany (just released by the KBA (=equivalent of the DMV)), 379 Taycan were sold in November, so this makes it the 2nd best selling vehicle it it's segment after the Mercedes S Class and the best selling BEV in it's segment with a 24.8% increase from January to November over last year (and it is not new to the market as we all know). It is the 3rd best selling Porsche (almost level pegging with the Cayenne with 380 sold in November), only the 911 & the Macan sold better. Should production indeed be on hold, retooling for the face lift would be the only sensible explanation.

Just my two cents...:)
I'm also suspicious of pre-registrations (not something normally associated with the marque) - with 700+ new Taycans available for sale in UK and more demonstrators there is scope to inflate actual sales here.

OP
OP
n3ophyte

n3ophyte

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Nissan GT-R
Country flag
I'm also suspicious of pre-registrations (not something normally associated with the marque) - with 700+ new Taycans available for sale in UK and more demonstrators there is scope to inflate actual sales here.
I thought this was standard practice with all dealerships in the UK regardless of the marque. Don’t Official Porsche Centres have to ‘register’ a specified number of new vehicles each year to keep the franchise?

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
End of summer I was told I could get an allocation in the next quarter. Last I heard, now it’s “maybe in a few months”. Yes, they do have a lot of Taycans sitting around. The problem for me is that they always order pretty much the same thing and that’s not the spec that I want. Same deal everywhere else I search.
Yea, one of the appeals of a Porsche is the custom build. Almost every custom build (not speced by a dealer) is 100% unique. Dealers seem to order from the same template. I've personally been quite surprised how many Turbos I've seen without RAS, PDCC, PTV, or the 150KW 400V DC charging option. I've seen Turbo or Turbo S with no options at all, or a bunch of high margin options like PMCC, plastic cladding or accents, painted wheels, but no performance options. If customer buys a Turbo, you'd think they care about performance, but perhaps they just care about the badge? In the end I hope dealers know what sells, so perhaps gold colored plastic accents are worth more than 150KW charging option on the spec or used car market. Or maybe the Porsche options are so complex that most dealers don't care to learn enough to even understand what they all are, and in turn they sell to customers who don't care to take the time to understand the available options either? "Just gimme the least expensive chalk Taycan with red interior and bitchin' wheels" may be as deep as some customers' requirements go.

nischalr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST, Audi Q4 E-tron
Country flag
Yea, one of the appeals of a Porsche is the custom build. Almost every custom build (not speced by a dealer) is 100% unique. Dealers seem to order from the same template. I've personally been quite surprised how many Turbos I've seen without RAS, PDCC, PTV, or the 150KW 400V DC charging option. I've seen Turbo or Turbo S with no options at all, or a bunch of high margin options like PMCC, plastic cladding or accents, painted wheels, but no performance options. If customer buys a Turbo, you'd think they care about performance, but perhaps they just care about the badge? In the end I hope dealers know what sells, so perhaps gold colored plastic accents are worth more than 150KW charging option on the spec or used car market. Or maybe the Porsche options are so complex that most dealers don't care to learn enough to even understand what they all are, and in turn they sell to customers who don't care to take the time to understand the available options either? "Just gimme the least expensive chalk Taycan with red interior and bitchin' wheels" may be as deep as some customers' requirements go.

Sadly I think what you say is true of most Taycan customers and the dealer priorities. Taycan Forum members are the minority among the scope of Taycan customers. I specify Taycan, since it likely along with the Macan attract more new to Porsche buyers than the 911 does and are the bread and butter of the volume sales that Porsche are using to sustain themselves.
Sponsored