gtm

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'73 Lotus, '23 GTS
Country flag
Thanks for the link. It's refreshing to read that they got most of it right, but I quickly noticed something suspect in the second paragraph of their Range and Efficiency section:

1674318356582.png

If Edmunds observed 323.3 miles of range with a consumption of 32.3 kWh/100 miles, the usable portion of the battery would need to be 104 kWh.
1674320569434.png

The Performance Battery Plus isn't anywhere near that large - the usable portion is about 84 kWh.

Edmunds needs to clarify whether the Taycan was actually driven 323.3 miles from 100% to 0% SOC, and provide further details on where they came up with the 32.3 kWh/100 miles efficiency. Until then, I will question that portion of the article.
The little info icon opens a note that says they charge to 100% and drive until there is about 10 miles remaining. Edmunds might have driven that far but their efficiency calculation is wrong. Their consumption number would have to be 26.9kWh/100 miles, maybe 30kWh/100 if they are measuring what comes out of the charger to replenish the depleted battery. I find it odd that the miles traveled and consumption numbers are identical. Typo that wasn't noticed?

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
Real world examples from today morning…
1) 25 mile round trip on 4 lane highway with a few traffic lights. Ambient temp was 50F. Cruise control set to 65MPH. Average consumption was 2.3 m/kWh. Total calculated range would be 192 miles.
2) 16 miles one way on 4 lane highway with lights, interstate, then city driving. Ambient temp was 55F. Average consumption was 2.9 m/kWh but the general trend was downhill by about 500ft. Total calculated range would be 243 miles.

My car is constantly in these similar ranges. I can’t fathom getting 300+ miles even with driving it like a granny (basically how I drove it today anyway).

for what it’s worth, altitude changes (hills) seem to have a major impact on consumption. My car is also a CT4.

Raphie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s (21)
Country flag
It’s all relative, do you want 19” boring tires 245 on the back 225 front, then you’ll be range king And you’ll jo8n the Teslaraties.
But 21” 265/305 looks so much better, even if it consumes 15% more.

TXAG

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
The little info icon opens a note that says they charge to 100% and drive until there is about 10 miles remaining. Edmunds might have driven that far but their efficiency calculation is wrong. Their consumption number would have to be 26.9kWh/100 miles, maybe 30kWh/100 if they are measuring what comes out of the charger to replenish the depleted battery. I find it odd that the miles traveled and consumption numbers are identical. Typo that wasn't noticed?
Thanks for the additional sleuthing and squelching my doubts. It's probably a typo just like the one that appears in the Wildcard Section:
Porsche Taycan Taycan Range 1674336086836

Throb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi R8 V10, Taycan GTS ST, BMW 330e, MB C-Class
Country flag
Even Porsche only claims a max of 246 miles using the very lax WLTP standard.
No they don't. Porsche claim 276 miles for the Taycan according to WLTP (314 miles with Performance Battery Plus).

Hah. Please post a link to where the quote that.

See below, 314 miles according to WLTP.

https://www.porsche.com/uk/models/taycan/taycan-models/taycan/

Porsche Taycan Taycan Range Screenshot 2023-01-22 at 15.22.08

Whether you could get those figures in the real world is a different question. I'm simply pointing out that your statement about Porsche claiming 246 miles WLTP is WRONG.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Here is some data from my car for all to compare against - for ref I basically have not changed my driving style one bit in the transition from ICE to EV and in general, have def a bit of a lead foot :) Also the vast majority of my driving to date short city runs - started out 2021 with some good long distance trips in TX but have fallen way behind in that aspect i.e. a more balanced trip history might yield even better max ranges.

Some of the text stats. on RHS of this chart are a couple months old (only updated the total mileage which is embarrassingly low but have been abroad more than a third of last year).

Note that these data are simply the 'calculated' ranges post 85% at-home charging sessions for Normal and Range mode with AC completely off. As we all know 'real world consumptive' ranges will vary typically as a function of multiple variables incl car spec (wheel-tire), driving style, terrain, climate etc. Overall I am seeing a ca. 9-12% decrease in ranges for both modes from summer to winter but overall very happy TBH with the range I am getting, esp considering the spec of the car (wheels etc).

Curves need another year plus to 'settle' but using a polynomial vs logarithmic to better represent annual high lows of summer winter etc.

PS: had been mucking with the graph annotation so may need to QC all my adds but think its pretty much up to date.
Porsche Taycan Taycan Range Screenshot 2023-01-22 at 8.40.05 AM
Sponsored