Tesla's "rollout" 0-60

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Is that before or after I buy a bridge from Elon Musk in NY/NJ? Honestly I just don’t get it, does he have some kind of magic mind bending drug I have failed to use yet?
You obviously are a climate change denier and in the pocket of big oil. (Or so I have been told when I asked similar questions. ;) )
Sponsored

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
You obviously are a climate change denier and in the pocket of big oil. (Or so I have been told when I asked similar questions. ;) )
Absolutely, that is why I own 5 EVs, get my entire electricity supply from wind. Yeah that is why I am asking these same OBVIOUS question. You and i can get together and burn stuff for no reason whatsoever…

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Is that before or after I buy a bridge from Elon Musk in NY/NJ? Honestly I just don’t get it, does he have some kind of magic mind bending drug I have failed to use yet?
Steve Jobs died, so folks need someone else to find a RDF to be enthralled by.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
As mentioned above, baking in a rollout to a 0-60 time is industry standard. Some are more transparent about it but almost everyone does it.

Even if it wasn't, I wouldn't consider it too sketchy to include a rollout for an EV vs an ICE. As we all know, a 3.5 second EV is really a lot faster than a 3.5 second ICE unless you're specifically doing a launch control in good conditions.

OP
OP
Kingske

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
Absolutely, that is why I own 5 EVs, get my entire electricity supply from wind. Yeah that is why I am asking these same OBVIOUS question. You and i can get together and burn stuff for no reason whatsoever…
Pfff... all greenwashing. You probably have a coal-powered lawn mower.

OP
OP
Kingske

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
As mentioned above, baking in a rollout to a 0-60 time is industry standard. Some are more transparent about it but almost everyone does it.

Even if it wasn't, I wouldn't consider it too sketchy to include a rollout for an EV vs an ICE. As we all know, a 3.5 second EV is really a lot faster than a 3.5 second ICE unless you're specifically doing a launch control in good conditions.
Before this thread, it did not know this and therefore learned something new. Do I therefore understand it now correctly that Porsche's stated 0-60 mph acceleration numbers for the Taycan are measured with the same rollout procedure as Tesla uses for its Model S Plaid and that therefore the numbers can be compared apples to apples?

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Unless Porsche quotes their rollout number somewhere, it's impossible to know. But numbers from Porsche are pure marketing drivel anyway. The 0-60 times quoted by Porsche are to help maintain the marketing difference between the trim levels.

Only instrumented 3rd party logging is reliable for *any* manufacturer. And there's tons of variables in even that. The only smart thing to do is ignore the details anyway. Making a purchasing decision on some quoted 0-60 times is completely ignoring all the stuff that actually matters. (It doesn't matter if plaid cars are faster in a straight line anyway, eventually there will be faster cars than the Taycan from many other makes)

rich_r

First Name
RIch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover sport
Country flag
Unless Porsche quotes their rollout number somewhere, it's impossible to know. But numbers from Porsche are pure marketing drivel anyway. The 0-60 times quoted by Porsche are to help maintain the marketing difference between the trim levels.

Only instrumented 3rd party logging is reliable for *any* manufacturer. And there's tons of variables in even that. The only smart thing to do is ignore the details anyway. Making a purchasing decision on some quoted 0-60 times is completely ignoring all the stuff that actually matters. (It doesn't matter if plaid cars are faster in a straight line anyway, eventually there will be faster cars than the Taycan from many other makes)
Yep. I'd say if you want a metric that will give you a rough sense of acceleration feel for comparison sake, pick a source that tests 5-60 (car and driver for example) and compare those times. That'll give you atleast a relative sense of how various cars will feel when you step on it from a light (reason is that the 5-60 test doesnt involve stuff like brake-torquing, launch control, etc).

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have seen reports that the Porsche TTS numbers of 2.6 to 60 is without rollout, and someone computed 2.4 with rollout if I am correct. And honestly from Everything I have read Porsche seems to UNDER report the times for their cars, that instrumented runs match or exceed them.

Tesla on the other hand….

JustLooking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Huracan, M2, R1 (+ Emira, CyberTruck)
Country flag
Obviously people dropping that kind of cash aren't missing it. If I had any indication that production would start soonish, I'd. certainly put down $50k on a Roadster, but I'm not wealthy enough to part ways with that type of money for years.

And if you have to ask why, consider what this car gives you and how much alternatives cost in the same space. Look at the Rimac or Lotus Evija among others*. The Roadster looks like a relative bargain** and is very practical with 4 seats, yet still the size of a traditional supercar, since it doesn't need space for the engine and associated components.

I used to not like the roadster, but with 4-seat practicality and alternatives in the more "exclusive" space..... I want it in my garage, especially after test driving the Taycan and coming away unimpressed - especially for the price.

It's all relative

*I'm sure those will be more limited/exclusive/track focused and will prioritize different things, I get it
** If/when it gets to production ;)

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
*I'm sure those will be more limited/exclusive/track focused and will prioritize different things, I get it
** If/when it gets to production ;)
Well there is definitely the “preference” factor and that is personal. But the Roadster is vaporware. It doesn’t exist. If I put down a deposit on a car that is going into a fixed production date, or I am in a que that is one thing. But the Roadster with a 200 KWHr battery is NOT a track car. I can’t even begin to guess the curb weight.

My issue isn’t with the price. It is with the vapor aspect, with being asked to pay a large deposit for something that doesn’t exist, with a company that has a proven track record of being years late.

I’ll stick with my slow, pokey, first gen one for now…its the first electric Lotus in a way.

JustLooking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My issue isn’t with the price. It is with the vapor aspect, with being asked to pay a large deposit for something that doesn’t exist, with a company that has a proven track record of being years late.
That's the price you pay to be "first in line" as it were. This is no different than when you read about other manufacturers release some supercar in the future - oh and by the way, they're already all spoken for. Tesla will be late for sure, but they'll deliver.

I actually like Tesla's model, they determine demand, ensure it's there and then build it. How do you determine demand? Have people put their money where their mouth is. Obviously having a $1k reservation like the Model 3 had, would mean everyone and their mother would reserve one (and then determine whether to go through with it based on the secondary market). It wouldn't be an accurate gauge.

If Porsche, today, announced that they'll take a $50k deposit on a future GT3, people would pay it in a heartbeat to get it at MSRP (or even have the chance to get one). If you wait until it's released, you'll be paying $50k+ in dealer markup and you still won't get one. I just spoke to my Porsche dealer about getting a GT3 and I was told even with the markup, there are none available; I can't have it.

JustLooking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Exactly, so why not drop it on something much more exciting like

https://ctwo.rimac-automobili.com over 1400 kW with 1.85 sec 0-60 MPH with "one foot roll-out"
From Motor Authority:
According to Rimac's Facebook post, only the car's first year of production has been sold, with many of these early slots being sold to dealers rather than end customers. That means anyone interested in a C_Two (and can afford the rumored $2 million price tag) should be able to secure a build slot, possibly even one of the early slots.
Let's see... $50k down on a $200k+ car or a ?? deposit on a $2m+ car (before import/taxes or whatever it takes to get the car from Croatia). Yeah, I'll wait for the Roadster :cool:

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS E-Tron GT, VW ID.4 Pro
Country flag
Let's not forget the Tesla Plaid was announced after the Lucid crushed the quarter mile in 9.245
He makes up numbers for the stock, nothing else.
The technology doesn't exist for the Plaid and the non-existent Roadster (announced in 2017)

Porsche under promises and over delivers. The 0-60 on the Taycans by .03 seconds
Sponsored