daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
60 amp version if you have the “stock” taycan - 80 amp version if you have the 19.2 kW Taycan
Sponsored

Reactions: TCT

LonePalmBJ

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S Gentian Blue Metallic, Black/Chalk,
Country flag
You refer to the TeslaTap Mini Adapter 40 Amps. Then "andrewket" mentioned the 80 amps. On the website for the Adapter, there is also a 60Amps...

Which one is recommended ?
There are two styles of TeslaTap, the larger, legacy style and the newer MINI style. Both styles come in a choice of 40A, 60A and 80A.

In my opinion I would avoid the 40A device since there is a chance that you could connect it to a charger that delivers more than 40A. Since the Taycan's onboard AC charger is 11kW by default or 19.2kW if you specced the upgrade, if you plugged your TeslaTap into an 80A Tesla Destination Charger, for instance, and into your Taycan it could draw at least 46A which would exceed the rating of the 40A MINI unless you were able to limit the current on the Tesla charger. For the meager price difference I would recommend the 60A or 80A TeslaTap to future-proof the purchase, open up a wider range of chargers you can use and provide an additional measure of safety. Like @andrewket I have an 80A non-MINI version of the TeslaTap.

JD4S

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I believe he's referring to the fact that you said the steps say to plug into the adapter first, THEN plug into the car. Your pic shows the adapter already in the car :)
Yep - I was just showing the adapter plugged into the the DC/fast charger side

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
My understanding (and as documented at Porsche.com), the US taycan can only handle 9.6 kw charging, so if you are in the US there's no reason to buy more than 40 AMP version as far as I can tell.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My understanding (and as documented at Porsche.com), the US taycan can only handle 9.6 kw charging, so if you are in the US there's no reason to buy more than 40 AMP version as far as I can tell.
this is incorrect - Porsche's specs are confused - North American Taycan's are shipped with the same 11 kW (48 amp) on board charger that the European models ship with.

yes - Porsche's own North American specification understate the maximum L2 charge rate for the North American Taycan - but it's the simplest message - cause if you want to achieve that rate you have to purchase a non-Porsche EVSE and Porsche has no North American offering.

the Taycan can charge at 48 amps (11 kw)
but all of Porsche's North American Mobile Chargers are limited to 9.6 kW or less.

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...-charger-48-amps-not-max-9-6-kw-40-amps.1793/

my speculation is that this is a Porsche marketing "simplification" since the included Porsche chargers (EVSE) are limited to 40 amps because they are mobile they are limited to NEMA 14-50/6-50 plugs (50 amp plugs with 40 amp charge rate)…

Porsche's inability to communicate this lowers my opinion of their EV efforts and demonstrates a lack of education and/or commitment to EV's…they can't seem to wrap their heads around what the vehicle is capable of, vs. the external EVSE that they ship by default.

the EVSE that ships with Taycan is limited to 9.6 kW
but the Taycan itself will charge at 48 amp when presented with any 48 amp J-1772 charger - including Tesla Wall Chargers via an Adatper.

There are numerous optional nonPorsche EVSE's that will charge the Taycan at it's full 48 amp capacity.

Last edited:

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
this is incorrect - Porsche's specs are confused - North American Taycan's are shipped with the same 11 kW (48 amp) on board charger that the European models ship with.

yes - Porsche's own North American specification understate the maximum L2 charge rate for the North American Taycan - but it's the simplest message - cause if you want to achieve that rate you have to purchase a non-Porsche EVSE and Porsche has no North American offering.

the Taycan can charge at 48 amps (11 kw)
but all of Porsche's North American Mobile Chargers are limited to 9.6 kW or less.

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...-charger-48-amps-not-max-9-6-kw-40-amps.1793/

my speculation is that this is a Porsche marketing "simplification" since the included Porsche chargers (EVSE) are limited to 40 amps because they are mobile they are limited to NEMA 14-50/6-50 plugs (50 amp plugs with 40 amp charge rate)…

Porsche's inability to communicate this lowers my opinion of their EV efforts and demonstrates a lack of education and/or commitment to EV's…they can't seem to wrap their heads around what the vehicle is capable of, vs. the external EVSE that they ship by default.

the EVSE that ships with Taycan is limited to 9.6 kW
but the Taycan itself will charge at 48 amp when presented with any 48 amp J-1772 charger - including Tesla Wall Chargers via an Adatper.

There are numerous optional nonPorsche EVSE's that will charge the Taycan at it's full 48 amp capacity.

It's also in the documentation for the car itself - has somebody seen >40 amps while charging their car? (Not pushing back, genuinely curious because it affects my own teslatap mini order :) )

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It's also in the documentation for the car itself - has somebody seen >40 amps while charging their car? (Not pushing back, genuinely curious because it affects my own teslatap mini order :) )
yes - screen shots in the link I provided…

yeah Porsche is all screwed up here - they are shipping an 11 kW on board chargers and a 9.6 kW external EVSE…

note the kW in the screen shot of my link - 10.48 kW reported by the 2020 Taycan while charging from my 100 amp Tesla chargers is more than 9.6 kW - when charging from a 9.6 kW source the vehicle reports 8.46 kW charge rate.

10.48 kW is about right for 240 volts @ 48 amps (60 amp breaker) and identical to the charge rate of the European models when they are using 11 kW chargers.

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
19.2kW was an option, and will likely will be again. I have it, and charge at 80A every night. 19,200W / 240V = 80A.

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
yes - screen shots in the link I provided…

yeah Porsche is all screwed up here - they are shipping an 11 kW on board chargers and a 9.6 kW external EVSE…

note the kW in the screen shot of my link - 10.48 kW reported by the 2020 Taycan while charging from my 100 amp Tesla chargers is more than 9.6 kW - when charging from a 9.6 kW source the vehicle reports 8.46 kW charge rate.

10.48 kW is about right for 240 volts @ 48 amps (60 amp breaker) and identical to the charge rate of the European models when they are using 11 kW chargers.
Sorry, missed clicking on that link. That is super super useful information - thank you very much!
I'm changing my order to 60amps

LonePalmBJ

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S Gentian Blue Metallic, Black/Chalk,
Country flag
Yes. I have charged my US-spec car at 10.56kW using my TeslaTap and a frend's HPWC. Search these forums and you'll find lots of other examples. The Taycan supports 11kW irrespective of what the underpromised documentation says. I don't know if they originally intended to have a slower onboard charger for the US market, or as Dave suggests it's just that the fastest EVSE that Porsche sells in the US is 240V@40A, but the true charging speed potential for US cars is ~11kW

Last edited:

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Yes. I have charged my US-spec car at 10.56kW using my TeslaTap and a frends HPWC. Search these forums and you'll find lots of other examples. The Taycan supports 11kW irrespective of what the underpromised documentation says. I don't know if they originally intended to have a slower onboard charger for the US market, or as Dave suggests it's just that the fastest EVSE that Porsche sells in the US is 240V@40A, but the true charging speed potential for US cars is ~11kW
Depending on the safety margin of teslatap and similar, that "underpromise" is literally a safety risk, since I'm sure I'm not the only one making decisions like this based on that.

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
[s] 2021 Taycan AWD [\s] 2022 Rivian R1T
Country flag
80A TT Mini + 19.2kW on-board charger + 80A Tesla HPWC FTW! That Mini is habitually attached, but I’m thinking about getting another 60A version to keep in the car for Destination Chargers of opportunity.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
This is consistent with what I get from the TeslaTap Mini 60 amp on our Tesla HPWC at 48 amp/60 amp breaker.

TeslaTap is a great product.

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
I just got the TeslaTap Mini 60A and did my first attempt charging with my Gen3 Tesla HPWC. I followed TeslaTap's instructions and plugged in the adapter to the cable first, waited for a while (admittedly not quite 30 seconds, probably more like 15. I assumed it was ready because the HPWC changed to a single blue light), and then plugged into the car. After a bit, the car said "Charging is not possible" and the battery meter was colored red instead of the usual green. At this point, the HPWC lights also shut off completely.

I unplugged everything and put the charging cable back into the HPWC, but the lights were still off a couple minutes later.

FWIW, my HPWC is on a 30A breaker.

Any idea what happened here?

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
I just got the TeslaTap Mini 60A and did my first attempt charging with my Gen3 Tesla HPWC. I followed TeslaTap's instructions and plugged in the adapter to the cable first, waited for a while (admittedly not quite 30 seconds, probably more like 15. I assumed it was ready because the HPWC changed to a single blue light), and then plugged into the car. After a bit, the car said "Charging is not possible" and the battery meter was colored red instead of the usual green. At this point, the HPWC lights also shut off completely.

I unplugged everything and put the charging cable back into the HPWC, but the lights were still off a couple minutes later.

FWIW, my HPWC is on a 30A breaker.

Any idea what happened here?
Are you using a gen3 HPWC? Have you configured it for Tesla only?
Sponsored