FrozenRobert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan S Cherry Red
Country flag
Just thought I'd contriubte -- I would imagine this product is available through Amazon in both USA and Canada.

It's a knock-off of the Tap, no brand-name ("Adapter"? "Zencar"?) and Amazon's sales page listed very little information about it. Cost about $199 CDN or $170 US, including s&h.

When I finally received it, I didn't have my hopes up. But after examining the unit it seems very well designed / built for the price. Amps are limited to 40A, so that will be something I need to consider.

I'll be trying it out this weekend on the Tesla L2 charger near my house, I'll let you know how it goes.

Porsche Taycan TeslaTap Mini Adapter feedback? 659C8E8C-5725-4358-B5D0-6B6EA98BF4E7

Porsche Taycan TeslaTap Mini Adapter feedback? 2A6CCEB9-87F7-4458-AFE6-150FDF214764

PorschePete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2018 Audi Q7
Country flag
If you get the 40AMP version (as an example), how do you ensure that you're getting 40amps or less? Does the Taycan allow you to specify "max xx AMPS"?
From the information I’ve seen online you should get the 50 AMP version at a minimum to avoid any potential issues. Keep in mind an article this month indicated Tesla would be opening up their Super Chargers to non Teslas sometime this year. I think max amp to Taycan is 48 but I am not positive on that. Info on adapters starts in this video at 38 minutes in. At 40 minutes 20 seconds in he discusses why to get adapter rated for 50 amps.

Last edited:

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
I disconnect it so I can put it back in the vehicle to have with me when I’m away from home - some people have two TeslaTaps - one for home - and one for travel - one for home also means you can charge friends/family EV’s when the Taycan is out and about and has the TeslaTap with it on the road.

basically you can’t have too many TeslaTaps :p
Alternatively (and cheaper), if you replaced your Tesla with a Taycan, you can just swap the Tesla connector for the J1772 connector (or sometimes easier to swap the whole cable) and just keep the TeslaTap in the car. I picked up an 18' 80A J1772 on ebay for $50 (used, but works just fine) and plan to swap it on one of the two Tesla chargers in my garage when the Taycan shows up. I also picked up a Tesla Tap mini to keep in the car, or if I want to charge on the other side of the garage where my wife's Tesla usually parks.

R88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo S (sold)
Country flag
Alternatively (and cheaper), if you replaced your Tesla with a Taycan, you can just swap the Tesla connector for the J1772 connector (or sometimes easier to swap the whole cable) and just keep the TeslaTap in the car. I picked up an 18' 80A J1772 on ebay for $50 (used, but works just fine) and plan to swap it on one of the two Tesla chargers in my garage when the Taycan shows up. I also picked up a Tesla Tap mini to keep in the car, or if I want to charge on the other side of the garage where my wife's Tesla usually parks.
Have you done a swap like this before? Are there instructions somewhere?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
it’s honestly easier to just switch the entire EV chargers - good EV chargers can be had for $500 or less - or you can go the TeslaTap route - either one will charge an EV.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Have you done a swap like this before? Are there instructions somewhere?
Not yet, but it is pretty straightforward if you feel comfortable with wiring things yourself. Here is one video converting the Gen3. For the diode pilot override which removes the initial charging delay, in case you don't want to build it yourself, you can even buy those (e.g. one site calls it "coffee bean" and sells it here for $9.50). I'd make sure the cable you add matches the output of the charger in Amps. For me, I use Gen2's up to 80A so it was a bit of a search to find, but 40A or 48A (which is the safe way for Gen3, since Gen3 maxes out at 48A) cables you can buy much easier, for example here.

Last edited:

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
it’s honestly easier to just switch the entire EV chargers - good EV chargers can be had for $500 or less - or you can go the TeslaTap route - either one will charge an EV.
I think it depends on what you start with. If you already have a Tesla HPWC installed, you can upgrade for just over $100, e.g. cable with J1772 $75 on ebay, pilot override $9.50 (or you can make your own cheaper). Amount of work is similar to swapping out a whole charger. If your HPWC is 80A capable Gen1 or Gen2, you get up to 80A J1772 charging out of this.

If you had to install from scratch, then yes, a whole new native J1772 charger would probably be easiest (or better yet, hardwire the Porsche charger the Taycan comes with and buy a mobile charger to carry in the car, which you will rarely or never use).

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I think it depends on what you start with. If you already have a Tesla HPWC installed, you can upgrade for just over $100, e.g. cable with J1772 $75 on ebay, pilot override $9.50 (or you can make your own cheaper). Amount of work is similar to swapping out a whole charger. If your HPWC is 80A capable Gen1 or Gen2, you get up to 80A J1772 charging out of this.

If you had to install from scratch, then yes, a whole new native J1772 charger would probably be easiest (or better yet, hardwire the Porsche charger the Taycan comes with and buy a mobile charger to carry in the car, which you will rarely or never use).
I’ve torn apart a Gen2 HPWC - swapping charging cables at least for me was a bit involved and some of the connection were soldered - so while cost is manageable I’d be concerned about the actual act of swapping the cable, but maybe I’m just too timid.

R88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Don’t think I’m comfortable enough doing that kind of wiring work right now. Will stick to the TeslaTap Mini on my Gen 3 (keeping it attached permanently). I would swap the HPWC but the Tesla one is very sleek and works well so don’t see a reason to.

Thanks for the advice though!

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I’ve torn apart a Gen2 HPWC - swapping charging cables at least for me was a bit involved and some of the connection were soldered - so while cost is manageable I’d be concerned about the actual act of swapping the cable, but maybe I’m just too timid.
I'm not too worried about soldering a cable if needed, but I get that it's not for everyone. I would say it's a small step above installing your own L2 charger (i.e. adding a new circuit, running wires, etc), and even that is not recommended as a DIY for everyone either. The conversion of Gen3 looks straightforward (to me) in the youtube video, but will let you know once I convert my Gen2 (which won't be until I get a Taycan CT which I'm told will be Q1 next year or later - might have gotten 4S a bit sooner but I'm holding out for a Turbo allocation). I plan to get the 20KW charger upgrade so will be able to report how the 80A charging works with the HPWC, and how well it balances the charging with an actual Tesla (between the 2 Teslas it works smooth as butter, hoping it works the same between a Taycan and a Tesla).

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Don’t think I’m comfortable enough doing that kind of wiring work right now. Will stick to the TeslaTap Mini on my Gen 3 (keeping it attached permanently). I would swap the HPWC but the Tesla one is very sleek and works well so don’t see a reason to.

Thanks for the advice though!
If you already bought the TeslaTap Mini, it sounds like the easiest solution. Small hassle to remember to take it with you if going on trips where you could use it outside. Out of curiosity, how is the stability of the plug with the TeslaTap mini? When I connected the TeslaHPWC-->TeslaTapMini-->TeslaJ1772Adapter (to make sure my TeslaTap works for 80A), the resulting "connector" was much longer that usual, and I would worry that if someone was to accidentally run into it while walking between the cars in my garage, that it could damage the car's charge point (longer level, much more leverage force on the charge port).

R88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If you already bought the TeslaTap Mini, it sounds like the easiest solution. Small hassle to remember to take it with you if going on trips where you could use it outside. Out of curiosity, how is the stability of the plug with the TeslaTap mini? When I connected the TeslaHPWC-->TeslaTapMini-->TeslaJ1772Adapter (to make sure my TeslaTap works for 80A), the resulting "connector" was much longer that usual, and I would worry that if someone was to accidentally run into it while walking between the cars in my garage, that it could damage the car's charge point (longer level, much more leverage force on the charge port).
I don't have my Taycan yet. I did exactly what you did (HPWC->TelsaTap-1772adapter) on my Tesla and did note that it was long, but felt solid enough. I think without the 1772 adapter the size is marginally more than a native 1772 so shouldn't really be an issue. Of course it's not quite as clean having an adapter there the whole time, but let's see if that is bothersome. The bulk/instability was coming from putting the Tesla 1772 adapter back on the end IMO.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I don't have my Taycan yet. I did exactly what you did (HPWC->TelsaTap-1772adapter) on my Tesla and did note that it was long, but felt solid enough. I think without the 1772 adapter the size is marginally more than a native 1772 so shouldn't really be an issue. Of course it's not quite as clean having an adapter there the whole time, but let's see if that is bothersome. The bulk/instability was coming from putting the Tesla 1772 adapter back on the end IMO.
Btw, another possible "no retrofit" option is to get a J1772 extension on top of the TeslaTap. Then connect HPWC->TeslaTap->J1772extension->Taycan. This does add more cable into the path (so some more resistive losses) but it would make it function as if you just replaced the HPWC cable. What is your max HPWC current and what is your Taycan AC charger (10KW or 20KW)? 40A extensions are easy to find, I thinks I saw 48A somewhere, but I did not find any 80A extensions.

R88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Btw, another possible "no retrofit" option is to get a J1772 extension on top of the TeslaTap. Then connect HPWC->TeslaTap->J1772extension->Taycan. This does add more cable into the path (so some more resistive losses) but it would make it function as if you just replaced the HPWC cable. What is your max HPWC current and what is your Taycan AC charger (10KW or 20KW)? 40A extensions are easy to find, I thinks I saw 48A somewhere, but I did not find any 80A extensions.
It’s the standard 10kW charger. HPWC is on a 50A breaker so 40A, however I was about to swap out for a 60A breaker because I checked the wiring and it can handle it.

This is a neat, albeit slightly excessive, idea to avoid having to handle the combined plug/adapter size with the adapter. I’m buying a Taycan so I’m all for slightly excessive things - I’ll look into it!

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
The Teslatap 60 amp adapter worked well for me on my current adventure. It is a must have for anyone who wants to road trip in their Taycan
Sponsored

Reactions: KTC