Bumski

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
Anyone have experience using the TeslaTap Mini Adapter? It converts the Tesla charging socket to a standard J1772 allowing one to use the Tesla destination chargers (Level 2) that are common at many hotels. It is rated for 50A.
Porsche Taycan TeslaTap Mini Adapter feedback? Tesla Adaptor
Sponsored

riozilla

First Name
Rio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I bought one of these to keep in my charging bag for road trips but have not used it yet so can’t comment. It’s an adapter, so I kind of just expect it to work. It was one of those things that I did not want to be without in the event that I needed it and no other options were available. Those can be dire moments (not being able to get a charge when you need it) so to me was cheap insurance.

TYKHAAAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Ram 2500, Kia EV9
I have it. Tried it out at a local destination charger hotel (and a supercharger station that i was misinformed about, it wont work there) and it worked fine at the Tesla destination charger. You just have to make sure you seat it firmly on the cable, then follow the directions to wait 30 seconds before plugging it in to you car. Pretty easy and convenient.

Alemany

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
McLaren 600LT, Nissan GTR, Tesla P100D, MiniCooper Cooper limited edition, Taycan Turbo S (ordered), Giulia Quadrafoglio
Country flag
Anyone have experience using the TeslaTap Mini Adapter? It converts the Tesla charging socket to a standard J1772 allowing one to use the Tesla destination chargers (Level 2) that are common at many hotels. It is rated for 50A.
Tesla Adaptor.png
I have one. Works great on the regular port. Does not work or latch to the high power port on the car.

JD4S

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I also have one - works as advertised. Just like Tykhaan said "You just have to make sure you seat it firmly on the cable, then follow the directions to wait 30 seconds before plugging it in to you car."

Porsche Taycan TeslaTap Mini Adapter feedback? IMG_2184 copy

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
If you get the 40AMP version (as an example), how do you ensure that you're getting 40amps or less? Does the Taycan allow you to specify "max xx AMPS"?

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
I also have one - works as advertised. Just like Tykhaan said "You just have to make sure you seat it firmly on the cable, then follow the directions to wait 30 seconds before plugging it in to you car."

IMG_2184 copy.jpg
that's not what the pic shows

JD4S

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Kort - are you referencing the side the Tap is plugged into? If so, you are correct, I've used mine on the passenger side port (high power port). I haven't really tested it beyond the standard Tesla charger at 2 different local hotels. Sorry for lack of data - we bought it just in case we got into a bind. Hope this helps clarify.

LonePalmBJ

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S Gentian Blue Metallic, Black/Chalk,
Country flag
I have one. Works great on the regular port. Does not work or latch to the high power port on the car.
FWIW, I've used the original style TeslaTap on the passenger/DC Fast Charge side and it worked fine.

Alemany

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
McLaren 600LT, Nissan GTR, Tesla P100D, MiniCooper Cooper limited edition, Taycan Turbo S (ordered), Giulia Quadrafoglio
Country flag
FWIW, I've used the original style TeslaTap on the passenger/DC Fast Charge side and it worked fine.
Mine works fine on the passenger side of the car. Does not on the driver side where I have the higher power charger.

LonePalmBJ

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S Gentian Blue Metallic, Black/Chalk,
Country flag
Mine works fine on the passenger side of the car. Does not on the driver side where I have the higher power charger.
What do you mean "higher power charger"? Do you have multiple EVSEs/Tesla Wall Chargers?

I'm pretty sure the higher power charge *port* is always on the passenger side of the vehicle itself. It swaps sides for RHD vs LHD cars but it's always the passenger side. I'm certain that's true for US vehicles.

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
I have two of the 80A non-mini adapters. One I use every day and the other stays in the car for travel use. It works great.

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
Kort - are you referencing the side the Tap is plugged into? If so, you are correct, I've used mine on the passenger side port (high power port). I haven't really tested it beyond the standard Tesla charger at 2 different local hotels. Sorry for lack of data - we bought it just in case we got into a bind. Hope this helps clarify.
I believe he's referring to the fact that you said the steps say to plug into the adapter first, THEN plug into the car. Your pic shows the adapter already in the car :)

TCT

First Name
François
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MB E350, Taycan CT4 Mamba green
Country flag
You refer to the TeslaTap Mini Adapter 40 Amps. Then "andrewket" mentioned the 80 amps. On the website for the Adapter, there is also a 60Amps...

Which one is recommended ?
Sponsored