TeslaTap Mini Adapter feedback?

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
Are you using a gen3 HPWC? Have you configured it for Tesla only?
I am using a Gen 3, yes. How would I have configured it for Tesla only, is that a setting? If so, how can I turn it off? Also, what is the point of a "Tesla only" setting?
Sponsored

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
[s] 2021 Taycan AWD [\s] 2022 Rivian R1T
Country flag
IIRC the Gen 3 HPWC is the version Tesla is promoting for its Destination Charging program. As such, my guess is they want to give operators the option of only allowing Teslas to use them, vs any LEAF or Volt “off the street” that may find them. But that’s just a guess.

R88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo S (sold)
Country flag
I am using a Gen 3, yes. How would I have configured it for Tesla only, is that a setting? If so, how can I turn it off? Also, what is the point of a "Tesla only" setting?
The option for Tesla only in the web configuration for the HPWC.
You can get to the web UI via the "Commissioning Procedure" section of the manual here: https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...ng/Gen3_WallConnector_Installation_Manual.pdf - i.e. make it broadcast the SSID, connect to that wifi network on your phone, go to the URL the manual tells you.

Once you're there, there is a setting on one of those screens for access control. Either Tesla only or any vehicle. Check that's on any vehicle. If you get stuck I can run out to my HPWC and see exactly where it is. Note that this was a relatively new feature for the HPWC firmware so you might not see it at all.

disclaimer: I don't have my Taycan yet, but currently a Tesla + HPWC, so following this thread closely because I like the HPWC a lot and hope to reuse it.

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
I figured it out. For some reason, when my electrician set up my HPWC, they didn't configure it to only pull 30A even though it was wired into a 30A breaker. They left it at the default 60A, and told me to adjust my Tesla to only pull 30A. I thought it was strange at the time, but I did it anyway.

The Taycan doesn't have a setting to adjust the current it pulls, so it just requests whatever the charger provides. Since my charger was configured to try and pull 60A, it went ahead and did that, and tripped my breaker.

I reset the breaker and re-provisioned it, correctly this time. Now all is well. I only charged for like 5 minutes with the TeslaTap Mini as a test, but it was working perfectly! It was pulling something like 5.7 kW.

PS I didn't see the setting for access control, mine is probably using an older firmware. Not gonna bother fixing what isn't broken so I'll just leave it on whatever firmware it came with for now.

R88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Awesome! Does it start right away or do you need to do the dance of attaching, waiting 30s, then plugging in? Trying to figure out how reasonable it is just to keep the adapter attached to the HPWC all the time and just plug in and walk off when I get home like I can do with the Tesla today.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I figured it out. For some reason, when my electrician set up my HPWC, they didn't configure it to only pull 30A even though it was wired into a 30A breaker. They left it at the default 60A, and told me to adjust my Tesla to only pull 30A. I thought it was strange at the time, but I did it anyway.
I am NOT an electrician, but from what I've read you only want to use 80% of the breaker capacity for safety/overhead reasons.

Our Tesla HPWC is on a 60 amp breaker and is configured to pull 48 amps.

If your breaker is only 30 amps, you want the HPWC configured to pull 24.
I'd personally see if a 60 amp breaker can be fitted though.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
5.7 kw is 24 amps - the tesla set/configuration on the EVSE is breaker size - it then adjusts to appropriate charge rate.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
5.7 kw is 24 amps - the tesla set/configuration on the EVSE is breaker size - it then adjusts to appropriate charge rate.
Ah that makes sense. Was this changed from the gen 2 to gen 3?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
not to my knowledge - its always been that way

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
not to my knowledge - its always been that way
This is correct for all generations. The HPWC is set for breaker and wiring size and will de-rate by 20%. The max setting on gen1/2 is 100A which yields 80A.

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
Yeah, as others said, in the chargers config page (ie when you connect to the chargers wifi network) you choose the breaker amperage as per the instructions and then on the summary page it tells you that for a 30A breaker it will pull 24A.

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
Awesome! Does it start right away or do you need to do the dance of attaching, waiting 30s, then plugging in? Trying to figure out how reasonable it is just to keep the adapter attached to the HPWC all the time and just plug in and walk off when I get home like I can do with the Tesla today.
I've only tested it extremely briefly but I think TeslaTap's 30 seconds instruction is just being extra safe. When I plug in the adapter to the cable the light on the HPWC turns from solid green to solid blue within 5 seconds. According to the charger manual this means it is in J1772 mode, so I assume it is ready. Thus far I've waited a few more seconds just to be safe, but I'm sure that over time as I trust the adapter more I'll start plugging it in right when I see the blue light.

I don't know if there is any detriment to keeping the charger in J1772 mode all the time, but you certainly wouldn't be able to "re-holster" the cable in the charger if the adapter is attached, fwiw. Do you just leave the cable on the ground when you're not using it?

As an aside, the adapter is very easy to attach/detach and feels very solid. It arguably feels even more premium than the J1772 adapter that comes standard with the Tesla (though it's heavier and slightly bulkier).

R88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I don't know if there is any detriment to keeping the charger in J1772 mode all the time, but you certainly wouldn't be able to "re-holster" the cable in the charger if the adapter is attached, fwiw. Do you just leave the cable on the ground when you're not using it?
I was thinking either wrap it around so it's dangling (but not on the ground) or buy a separate holster designed for J1772s and mount that next to it.

Thanks for the other feedback, this is encouraging.

BetweenFlights

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I have the Gen3 Wall Connector and 80a TeslaTap Mini adapter. Charging works great to my Taycan. Have a question about adapter when not in use. Do you leave the adapter connected to the Tesla plug while not in use? I noticed the light on the wall connector stays Blue when it’s connected and not plugged in to car.

Per the manual for the Wall Connector the solid blue light indicates waiting to charge, communicating with vehicle. Without the adapter it is solid green which is standby.

Would be more convenient to leave it connected but don’t want to risk anything.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I disconnect it so I can put it back in the vehicle to have with me when I’m away from home - some people have two TeslaTaps - one for home - and one for travel - one for home also means you can charge friends/family EV’s when the Taycan is out and about and has the TeslaTap with it on the road.

basically you can’t have too many TeslaTaps :p
Sponsored