Time from waitlist to allocation - your experience?

soul.electrified

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 4S convertible, LX570, CT4 (pending)
Country flag
I am aware this is a highly subjective question, and certainly depending on many factors... That being said, what has been your experience when waiting for an allocation? How many months would you wait for it and when would you venture out to different dealers, pay above MSRP, or take an available dealer spec'd vehicle?
Sponsored

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
I am coming up to seven months since I paid my deposit and haven't got a build date yet.
I wouldn't buy a dealer spec'd vehicle because they always choose items I do not want but not those I do.
I wish I had tried more than one dealer though, I think the one I went with has too many customers and/or not enough allocations based on other people's experience.

Crick

First Name
Crick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Volt, 2009 BMW X5D, 2021 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Deposit in Jan 2021, allocation in May 2021.
I had contacted every dealer from LA to SF - not one had an allocation or received one during this time.

My dealer is Redwood City Porsche, the highest volume dealer in Northern CA. They worked "allocation trades" trying to get a Turbo S. Mine was the last Turbo S allocation they received in 2021. When I received my car on 12/31/21, they still had not received another.

gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
Deposit and allocation, for a late March/early April 2022 delivery, in October 2021. The car is in production as of 25 January.

If there happened to be a car on the lot that was very very close to my configuration I might have considered it. Of course, at the time and even now, that is not likely to be the case. Spending this much money on a car I'm willing to wait to get exactly what I want.

motherheroic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan Turbo S
i secured my dealers only turbo s allocation for the foreseeable future in early nov after asking in sept. the car is currently about to pass through panama canal for early march delivery.

Westbyz80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan
Country flag
I went to Livermore Porsche…

Deposit late Oct 2021, allocation mid Nov 2021, build date Feb 4 (though I don’t think it’s started at that point), delivery was originally set for 4/15/22, moved back a week to 4/22/22 (via TYD).

jld1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S23
Country flag
Deposit November 2021. Dealer said allocation Jan/Feb, he since backtracked and said March. If in 3 weeks I don't hear good news, I'm probably going to another dealer.

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
I would recommend contacting Porsche dealerships within a 500 mile radius if your local one cannot provide solid details on securing an allocation.

Both my local dealerships in Denver could not confirm when they would have a CT4s allocation, so I decided to get serous in the end of January and hunt around. I emailed dealerships in New Mexico, Texas, Utah, Nebraska, Kansas, and Oklahoma. Out of all the emails, Aristocrat in Kansas City had an immediate allocation with a lock date for the end of February - delivery date by the end of May.

They confirmed they would sell the car MSRP, so I immediately jumped on it, and couldn't be happier with the support and patience of the team at Aristocrat. I have only updated my build spec 9 times in the two weeks since I put down the deposit, but think I am good now.

In this environment, you need to be flexible and hunt around. Just my two cents.

Fsudoles

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan RWD
Country flag
Champion Porsche, Pompano Beach Florida

Deposit and order November 27, 2021

Freeze Point January 12, 2022

Order created January 21, 2022

Scheduled for Production, January 26, 2022

Track your Dream has stalled updating at this point (Stuck in Phase Two of Four)

Call to SA at Champion Porsche yielded the Production started February 2, 2022

Track Your Dream updated to include a Vin Number February 6, 2022

Production should probably wrap up this week, still checking TYD daily to see if that has updated

Delivery date has remained steady for weeks now, April 1, 2022

Lars

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 911 C4S Taycan CT 4S
Country flag
I am coming up to seven months since I paid my deposit and haven't got a build date yet.
I wouldn't buy a dealer spec'd vehicle because they always choose items I do not want but not those I do.
I wish I had tried more than one dealer though, I think the one I went with has too many customers and/or not enough allocations based on other people's experience.
I think yours does seem a long time Frank. I think you ordered around the same time as me (Mid July) and I got notification of allocation in December for build date Feb 25th

OP
OP
soul.electrified

soul.electrified

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 4S convertible, LX570, CT4 (pending)
Country flag
Deposit November 2021. Dealer said allocation Jan/Feb, he since backtracked and said March. If in 3 weeks I don't hear good news, I'm probably going to another dealer.
I ventured out today and found three dealers with available allocations for what I am looking for. Now, purchasing remotely somehow does not feel right and most of the allocations that were offered are July-builds. I am debating whether I should just sit tight and get a 2023 model instead, especially if 2022 allocations are out to July...

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
I think yours does seem a long time Frank. I think you ordered around the same time as me (Mid July) and I got notification of allocation in December for build date Feb 25th
I am disappointed.
I don't approve of cronyism so didn't try to use my contacts to get early build (I admit I did consider it) and ordered from my nearest dealer.
I am beginning to think Porsches are for people more tolerant and patient than I am.

mdrobc1213

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M4, Taycan CT4, 992 Carrera,
Country flag
Asked my dealer around May about the car after 1st hearing about it. Test drove a Taycan 4S in July and my dealer came across their 1st allocation due in Oct 2021 for an already spec'd car. Same color as what I wanted but a few things I didn't want (like off road areo package) so passed and was able to get 1 of 2 allocations for Oct builds. Grabbed it and car shipped in Nov and delivery end of Jan 2022.

If you're serious my advice is to look far and wide for cars...and be willing to wait 6-12 mos if necessary..the markets in some places are just that tight. Lots of buyers and less supply out there.

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
I am disappointed.
I don't approve of cronyism so didn't try to use my contacts to get early build (I admit I did consider it) and ordered from my nearest dealer.
I am beginning to think Porsches are for people more tolerant and patient than I am.
I had an opportunity to get an earlier (by at least 3 months) build with a more distant dealer, but concluded that it was more important to have the convenience of dealing with my (very) local dealer should I have any issues with the vehicle (it wasn't enough to hear that any dealer will look after any customer regardless of where they bought their car). When I put down my deposit in October, the CT4S was the variant most in demand with delivery estimated to be up to 12 months out.
Sponsored