Tinting glass that already has noise insulated factory option

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
I'm considering tinting my windows, and I already have the factory noise-insulated option. I've never tinted a car before, so I know very little about it. Based on the research I've done, 35% seems like a good amount.

My questions are regarding how this plays together with the fact that I already have the factory option. I can tell that the back windows are already more tinted than the front ones. If I take it to a shop to do tinting, will they just layer this on top of the factory tint, thus making the front windows 35%, and the back ones something less than 35% (because of two layers of tinting material)?

Also, what is common for the front windshield? Do most people tint it the same amount as all the other windows, or leave it untouched so as to retain the original factory visibility when looking out the car (safety reasons while driving)?
Sponsored

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
With modern heat rejecting films or ceramic coatings, there is no longer any reason to visibly darken the windows to keep the car cooler.

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
Here is my car with the insulated glass before it went to the shop for PPF, ceramic and tints. The lower picture is after. The factory tint is minimal but noticeable. After tinting, the rear is slightly darker than the back. This is better for the state I live in and I like the look.

Porsche Taycan Tinting glass that already has noise insulated factory option IMG_3287

Porsche Taycan Tinting glass that already has noise insulated factory option IMG_3475

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
35% front and 5% back on the insulated glass.

Porsche Taycan Tinting glass that already has noise insulated factory option FullSizeRender

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Macan GTS, 23 Taycan Turbo, 20 Cayenne Turbo,
Country flag
I agree with others that tinting in addition to thermal glass is more for the looks. I am not following any local state law and never had any issues, so I tint the way I think it looks best.

The rule we follow is that on SUVs the 2 rear windows and rear windshields measure at around 18%, so we just tint the 2 front windows with a 20% tint so combined with thermal glass it matches to almost exactly 17% or so all around and that looks good and not too dark from outside in or inside out. My wife likes the front windshield tinted for more privacy and prefers a 70% option, but I prefer no tint so I can see headlights at night at full intended brightness. However, our PPF shop has an 80% and 70% front windshield tint options.

However, for the Taycan, with thermal glass, I went with 15% all around but the windshield, but it has Exoshield on the outside, but it is clear of course. I have no issues with any visibility in the rain or at night on any of our tinted vehicles. I did drive an example that was for sale on a 750 mile trip with some light tint, possibly 35%, and I could not stand it how much light was coming in with all the glare from all over, and the interior was dark grey. I do cringe when I get loaners with no thermal glass and of course they have no tint, how blinding the driving experience is in just daylight, but of course all of this is personal preference.

Porsche Taycan Tinting glass that already has noise insulated factory option 1690076471013

Porsche Taycan Tinting glass that already has noise insulated factory option 1690076601345

OP
OP

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
Here is my car with the insulated glass before it went to the shop for PPF, ceramic and tints. The lower picture is after. The factory tint is minimal but noticeable. After tinting, the rear is slightly darker than the back. This is better for the state I live in and I like the look.

IMG_3287.jpeg

IMG_3475.jpeg
So this is the "same tint" applied to both front and back, but back looks a bit darker because of the factory tint? What % tint did you get applied? Looks like maybe 20%?

OP
OP

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
I agree with others that tinting in addition to thermal glass is more for the looks. I am not following any local state law and never had any issues, so I tint the way I think it looks best.

The rule we follow is that on SUVs the 2 rear windows and rear windshields measure at around 18%, so we just tint the 2 front windows with a 20% tint so combined with thermal glass it matches to almost exactly 17% or so all around and that looks good and not too dark from outside in or inside out. My wife likes the front windshield tinted for more privacy and prefers a 70% option, but I prefer no tint so I can see headlights at night at full intended brightness. However, our PPF shop has an 80% and 70% front windshield tint options.

However, for the Taycan, with thermal glass, I went with 15% all around but the windshield, but it has Exoshield on the outside, but it is clear of course. I have no issues with any visibility in the rain or at night on any of our tinted vehicles. I did drive an example that was for sale on a 750 mile trip with some light tint, possibly 35%, and I could not stand it how much light was coming in with all the glare from all over, and the interior was dark grey. I do cringe when I get loaners with no thermal glass and of course they have no tint, how blinding the driving experience is in just daylight, but of course all of this is personal preference.

1690076471013.png

1690076601345.png
Thanks for the pics. Can I see a pic from the outside which shows your side windows and windshield? I'm curious how stark the difference is when you leave it untouched.

@Genau yeah it's not really about heat rejection for me, mostly for privacy and somewhat for looks as well.

SThurlow

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
With modern heat rejecting films or ceramic coatings, there is no longer any reason to visibly darken the windows to keep the car cooler.
I tinted. More about not feeling awkward as people gawked at the car. Tint was my best friend in my R8 :)

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
So this is the "same tint" applied to both front and back, but back looks a bit darker because of the factory tint? What % tint did you get applied? Looks like maybe 20%?
Same tint on the front and back…20%. The back is slightly darker because of the factory tint. Here is another photo with less glare.

Porsche Taycan Tinting glass that already has noise insulated factory option IMG_3640

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Xpel ceramic tint all round 35% and STEK on the front windshield - used Huper Optik's tint in past which are excellent but the Xpel good and negotiated free from dealer on pick-up so no-brainer!

The STEK is one of the best for front windshield chip protection but really important that you get a top notch installer (for any windshield install) to ensure an optically perfect result - have zero issues with mine and 100% transparent i.e. no added windshield tint.

Car looks a million times better with tint :)

Porsche Taycan Tinting glass that already has noise insulated factory option IMG_5600

Porsche Taycan Tinting glass that already has noise insulated factory option IMG_5601

Last edited:
OP
OP

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
Xpel ceramic tint all round 35% and STEK on the front windshield - used Huper Optik's tint in past which are excellent but the Xpel good and negotiated free from dealer on pick-up so no-brainer!

The STEK is one of the best for front windshield chip protection but really important that you get a top notch installer (for any windshield install) to ensure an optically perfect result - have zero issues with mine and 100% transparent i.e. no added windshield tint.

Car looks a million times better with tint :)

IMG_5600.jpeg

IMG_5601.jpeg
Are you saying that the windshield tint in your pic is solely due to the factory look?

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Are you saying that the windshield tint in your pic is solely due to the factory look?
Nope - totally due to you looking through it and through the opposite side windows that have the tint :)!

OP
OP

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
Does material/brand matter much when choosing tint? I see ceramic tint was mentioned but that sounds expensive. Does it really matter compared to whatever the standard material is?

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Does material/brand matter much when choosing tint? I see ceramic tint was mentioned but that sounds expensive. Does it really matter compared to whatever the standard material is?
Most sites/vendors give you metrics on the amount of both IR and UV transmitted as well as visible light (the usual preference of 30, 35% etc) - ceramic tints being non-metallic will cause less issues re additional cell interference (although debatable how much any tint does TBH) but they also are (or were on my last look) some of the best tint products at controlling IR+UV transmission into the cabin (by a LONG way).

The tech is always changing so I'd always do a bit of reading/research regardless before committing.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
I can tell that the back windows are already more tinted than the front ones.
I don't think that's true in the US (it can be in EU where they offer privacy glass on the back), unless something changed recently. I measured my MY23 thermally and noise insulated glass and all side windows were 79% (so blocking 21% of light).

My questions are regarding how this plays together with the fact that I already have the factory option.
I measured Visual Light Transmissibility (VLT), as well as IR and UV resistivity if you care, on thermally and noise factory glass.

VLTUVRIRR
OEM T&N insulated glass79.0%100%78.8%
T&N insulated + 35% Stek Smart Ceramin tint30.5%100%93.3%
T&N insulated + 15% Stek Smart Ceramin tint13.0%100%92.9%

More details, such as how it was measured, in the original thread:
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...se-insulated-glass-windows.14576/#post-220163
Sponsored

Last edited: