How dark are thermally & noise insulated glass windows?

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 x Tesla Model S, TTCT ordered
Country flag
Did anyone measure light transmissivity of the thermally and noise insulated windows? I saw in videos it's slightly darker than non insulated glass, but could not find the percentage transmissivity. I'd like to use that number so that I can order the appropriate tint film ahead of the car's arrival.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2
Videos may skew the color but It's not darker - has a slight frosted look to it.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
I wonder if it varies from country to country depending on local laws and typical weather?
Here in the UK “thermally insulated glass all round” is standard and the option is just named “Acoustically insulated laminated glass” in the UK configurator, though there is a graphic showing a small reduction in UV transmission too.
Most of the year here the best solution is no tint at all for the side windows :)

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
Videos may skew the color but It's not darker - has a slight frosted look to it.
I have had both insulated an non-insulated on my Taycans. The insulated is definitely slightly darker. I have not measured it (I assume I need some sort of tool for that, but not sure what) but it looks darker from the outside and with the door open I can see the tinted film because it does not extend all the way to the edge of the window. I'll try to get a picture sometime today.

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
I have had both insulated an non-insulated on my Taycans. The insulated is definitely slightly darker. I have not measured it (I assume I need some sort of tool for that, but not sure what) but it looks darker from the outside and with the door open I can see the tinted film because it does not extend all the way to the edge of the window. I'll try to get a picture sometime today.
Here’s a photo…

C1343FF1-F361-42EE-97DA-2794DFB43667.jpeg

OP
OP
whitex

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Here’s a photo…

C1343FF1-F361-42EE-97DA-2794DFB43667.jpeg
Thanks. This is what I was wondering if anyone measured. There are meters out there which measure it, I picked up this one for under $100 last year for a project I was doing which looks like this:
1674593696484.png

Obviously adding tint on top of this already darker window will make it darker than adding same tint to a clear window. I realize most people won't care so much, I have specific preferences and don't like my windows being too dark for night driving. I actually tint the front side windows lighter than the back for better night visibility (especially if the car has dimming side mirrors already).

I'm currently planning a 3,000 mile fly-and-drive pickup next month, so was thinking whether I would ask the dealer to do the tint prior to pickup, but maybe I'll just drive it as is and figure out the tint once I've got the car in my garage and can take actual measurements.

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Did anyone measure light transmissivity of the thermally and noise insulated windows? I saw in videos it's slightly darker than non insulated glass, but could not find the percentage transmissivity. I'd like to use that number so that I can order the appropriate tint film ahead of the car's arrival.
In North America not in any why that is noticeable…it's mostly the double pane thickness and heat reflecting coatings - not actually significantly "darker" windows.

OP
OP
whitex

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
In North America not in any why that is noticeable…it's mostly the double pane thickness and heat reflecting coatings - not actually significantly "darker" windows.
The picture from post #5 above does show it visibly darker (remember, VLT percentages multiply when stacking films). Once I actually get my car (in about a month) I will measure the Visual Light Transmissivity (along with UVR and IRR since the meter has them) and will post it here for reference.

TXAG

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag

ZYRUS