SwissTaycan

First Name
Dieter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S arrived on 23.12.20 and 718 Spyder on order
Country flag
Hey everyone. I had my software update on Tuesday (only minor problems and settings getting lost as well as integrated Apple Music icon no longer appearing) and finally switched to summer tires as the car was delivered on winter tires.

So whilst I was checking the settings I landed on the tire pressure section and my rear tires are at 3.0 bar????? I have Michelin Pilot Sport 4 245/45 R20 front and 285/40 R 20 in the back.

I sent the dealer the photos and he said come in for me to check. I then asked him: what should the pressure be? Especially as I noticed that the front tires of the Taycan have higher pressure than the back tires (at least for my winter tires). He could not answer me and said the sticker on the car door is just a "reference" and not the real pressure. I just want to know what it should be and go to the petrol station and see what their basic tire pumps says my pressure is.

He said those are never exact and wants me to come in to make sure that it is not a fault on the reading in the PCM :mad:. What tire pressure do you guys have? Last time I ever saw tire pressure above 3.0 bar was a 930 Turbo.

Porsche Taycan Tire pressure tempImageSvfCnu

Porsche Taycan Tire pressure tempImageFPrMdX

MrJack

First Name
Gianni
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S MY2021, Panamera 4S
Country flag
I have 21" wheels with 2.7 bar for all cold tyres. I've noticed that with higer pressure (3.0 bar) the car is too much hard and has little bit oversteering reactions.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Follow the guidance in the Good to Know App - for a 4S it should be 2.5 / 2.6 front and 2.1 / 2.2 20” wheels rear BUT CHECK THE MANUAL. The plate on the car should correspond to the manual and will give guidance on what load / pressure is required.

3 bar is on the high side for sure if the reading is accurate.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
In the US, the plate on the driver door frame shows the inflation pressures for full load. That's fine if that's what you want, but more likely you want partial load or something in between. You can get the partial load inflation pressure from the PCM screen, then select somewhere between the two and all should be well.

OP
OP
SwissTaycan

SwissTaycan

First Name
Dieter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks guys.
In the end the pressure was at 3.0 cold. The dealer wanted me to come in as initially they thought it was a wrong reading and that the software update had somehow messed with it, which was not the case.

The guy then said not to follow the sticker on the driver door or Good to Know as even the tire pressures could be updated based on the "latest" knowledge of Porsche and tires. So he said: stick to making sure the correct tires are chosen in the PCM and then go by what the PCM display tells you to do!

Same for toggling full load/partial load advice.

kreshi

First Name
hansi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
@SwissTaycan
I think mine are even above 3.0 bar...
What did you end up with on the tires? I think I have the exact same tires.
I will try and see what the PCM says. I don't think I've seen the Menu to set the tire brand.

Thanks!

OP
OP
SwissTaycan

SwissTaycan

First Name
Dieter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
He said to use the R20 Summer tires setting as I do not have EV specific tires (also an option in the R20 size).

He also recommended go down maybe 0,2 and 0,3 and drive a day so you do not end up being too low. So if you are at 3.0 you probably have 2-3 days of doing this.

OP
OP
SwissTaycan

SwissTaycan

First Name
Dieter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Eh gad!!!! Now press on the scrolling button/wheel and you will see how much you are too high!!!

My suspicion: My car was delivered on winter tires, so maybe the summer tires were stored at 3.0 and they forgot to reduce when they changed the tires last week.

kreshi

First Name
hansi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
What did you end up with? 2.8? All 4?
I'll go down to the car soon and see what the PCM says.

By the way, I drove like this on the Autobahn at 260km/h. Now I have a feeling my tires were about to explode that day :( ?

OP
OP
SwissTaycan

SwissTaycan

First Name
Dieter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have to check... will post a photo. But it is higher in the front and lower in the back. Think it is 2.6 front and 2.4 back.

Well they probably would have heated up a bit, but I saw that they are specced to have a max pressure of 5.0 bar! Let just hope that you never got to that level :eek:

kreshi

First Name
hansi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
I have to check... will post a photo. But it is higher in the front and lower in the back. Think it is 2.6 front and 2.4 back.

Well they probably would have heated up a bit, but I saw that they are specced to have a max pressure of 5.0 bar! Let just hope that you never got to that level :eek:
Thank you for your effort!

The ride quality was fine for me but with the lower pressure it must get better ?

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have no idea what BAR settings are. I am running 44 in the rear and 38 in the front. Want to see how range is affected- was running 38 rear and 35 front previously

kreshi

First Name
hansi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
I have no idea what BAR settings are. I am running 44 in the rear and 38 in the front. Want to see how range is affected- was running 38 rear and 35 front previously
44 PSI is 3.0 Bar.
Why are you running higher pressure in the rear?