Tire pressure question

minstril

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
So, my GTS has 21-inch wheels with summer tires from the factory, which is correctly selected in the car’s TPMS settings. This makes the car and app show a desired (cold) pressure of 36psi front, 38 rear based on the deviations shown on screen. My door plate differs though, showing 41 front, 45 rear. Is the door plate assuming different tires? Should I just trust the PCM/app deviation values?
Sponsored

nischalr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST, Audi Q4 E-tron
Country flag
The tire pressures on the door plate indicates full load specs for tire pressure whereas the pressures you are seeing in the system reflect partial load pressures. On my Taycan, I can select partial load or full load in the PCM to reflect what my circumstance is.

mystermykee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 IGM
Country flag
Pros/cons to running full load pressures when I usually have no other occupants except weekends?

Sandash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
I would definitely go with 41/45. You can compare this to the max PSI on your tire. Higher PSI will result in higher efficiency and performance.

dtich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan GTS;'12 Model S(sold); Aprilia; Triumph
Country flag
higher psi = better tire life/fueling, less grip on cornering
lower psi = better grip, slightly greater wear/less efficient fueling

also, factor in ambient temps throughout driving, if you're in a very hot area you may not need to start with full spec pressure as the heat of the day will take the tire well past that as the gas (air) expands in the heat.

for 'normal' commuting-type driving, in middling temps (20C/70F)... loading to spec press is perfectly good. tweak as needed for performance, weather and load variances. i would not generally go more than 5 or 6 PSI lower than spec. also, low profile tires will like to err on the firmer side to keep the wide tread flatter. ymmv.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I would definitely go with 41/45. You can compare this to the max PSI on your tire. Higher PSI will result in higher efficiency and performance.
41/45 cold is way too high, unless the car is full of lead weights. Cold pressures in the range of 35-39 is optimal. I run the high end to get a slightly firmer ride and longer tire life, which gets me hot pressures of around 41.

kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo ST, Volvo XC90 T8
Country flag
As I didn’t get my car with 21’s, the card in the car only shows 20” pressures. Does anyone have a data sheet for all Taycan’s? Or how can we find out the tyre pressure?

Sandash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
41/45 cold is way too high, unless the car is full of lead weights. Cold pressures in the range of 35-39 is optimal. I run the high end to get a slightly firmer ride and longer tire life, which gets me hot pressures of around 41.
Optimal in what way, though? It all depends on what you're trying to achieve. I've always kept my car at slightly higher than recommended tire pressure for the firmer ride, as you mentioned; it also makes me feel more connected to the road.

RingoDingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
My understanding is that you should refer to the plate + the manual, which sets forth both part and full load deviations along with whether you have the 2 seats in back ro
As I didn’t get my car with 21’s, the card in the car only shows 20” pressures. Does anyone have a data sheet for all Taycan’s? Or how can we find out the tyre pressure?
Check the manual.

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
What make of 21’s have you got now?

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
It’s in the owners manual

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Optimal in what way, though? It all depends on what you're trying to achieve. I've always kept my car at slightly higher than recommended tire pressure for the firmer ride, as you mentioned; it also makes me feel more connected to the road.
Slightly higher is cold at 38-40. 41-45 is super high.
Sponsored