Tire Selection Tips

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
We don’t have a date for when (or if) you’ll be able to option the 4S & Turbo w/ summer tires. Mandatory all-season tires on the 4S and Turbo with 21” wheels is to ensure the vehicle can achieve the EPA rated range.
Whose rule is that - the EPA, or Porsche? Seems crazy that the consumer can’t decide what tires they want.

But, do we care? Will the car handle noticeably worse in the summer with the all season tires, vs summer tires? Will the all seasons be significantly worse in the snow than snow tires? I’ve never had all seasons before, but do notice and prefer summer tires over winter tires.
Sponsored

dryii

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2015 Porsche Macan Turbo
Country flag
We don’t have a date for when (or if) you’ll be able to option the 4S & Turbo w/ summer tires. Mandatory all-season tires on the 4S and Turbo with 21” wheels is to ensure the vehicle can achieve the EPA rated range.
I'm not sure how accurate this is. As I understand it, summer, or performance, tires are standard because all-season tires are an option via the configurator.
Porsche Taycan Tire Selection Tips 1581471271404

Chowster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4S
Country flag
Whose rule is that - the EPA, or Porsche? Seems crazy that the consumer can’t decide what tires they want.

But, do we care? Will the car handle noticeably worse in the summer with the all season tires, vs summer tires? Will the all seasons be significantly worse in the snow than snow tires? I’ve never had all seasons before, but do notice and prefer summer tires over winter tires.
Dave, I personally feel a big difference between summer and A/S, in the warmer summer months. Depends on how hard you drive the car, and what level of handling prowess you are accustomed to. However, looks like I might be forced into A/S on my 4S based on what my SA has said.

I'm not sure how accurate this is. As I understand it, summer, or performance, tires are standard because all-season tires are an option via the configurator.
1581471271404.png
For the 4S and Turbo, the all season tires is a mandatory option once you select any of the 21" wheel options. If you are configuring the Turbo S, you can keep summer tires and NOT be forced to check the A/S tires.

dryii

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2015 Porsche Macan Turbo
Country flag
For the 4S and Turbo, the all season tires is a mandatory option once you select any of the 21" wheel options. If you are configuring the Turbo S, you can keep summer tires and NOT be forced to check the A/S tires.
I understand. Thanks for the clarification. I kept the 19" wheels myself, which may be why I didn't know this tidbit.

OP
OP
ron_b

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Does anyone know the supplied All Season 20" Tires? (and how they are?)
I saw the post from @nsheth_ahimsa in another thread about:
19": Summer Hankook Evo3s (N/Porsche Spec), All Season Contis in N Spec.
20": Summers N Spec Michelin PS4.

nsheth_ahimsa

First Name
Nirav
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (ordering), 2020 GLS450, 2017 BMW 535d
Country flag
Does anyone know the supplied All Season 20" Tires? (and how they are?)
I saw the post from @nsheth_ahimsa in another thread about:
19": Summer Hankook Evo3s (N/Porsche Spec), All Season Contis in N Spec.
20": Summers N Spec Michelin PS4.
Hi Ron - the A/S on the 20”s are also Continental ProContact RX (N Spec). Or at least they were on the Turbo I had test driven. If you go up one size in the 20s (255/45/20 and 295/40/20) you will get a couple of additional A/S options including a really good Pirelli, however in theory the options in that size are considered truck/suv tires.

Chowster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4S
Country flag
Hi Ron - the A/S on the 20”s are also Continental ProContact RX (N Spec). Or at least they were on the Turbo I had test driven. If you go up one size in the 20s (255/45/20 and 295/40/20) you will get a couple of additional A/S options including a really good Pirelli, however in theory the options in that size are considered truck/suv tires.
My SA says it's a bit of a crap shoot which tires come on the cars from the factory, as there are multiple N-spec tires. Currently A/S has been the Continentals, and summer 21s have been Goodyear F1s. Although I have also seen some cars elsewhere come with Michelin PS4s, which would be my preference..

@ron_b Michelin PS4s are currently probably the gold standard for performance summer tires. Some may disagree, but the majority of Porsche owners seem to prefer Michelin (PS2 PSS, PS4 over the years) over the generations of Pirelli P-Zeros. You could read for days about tire choices over on Rennlist.

nsheth_ahimsa

First Name
Nirav
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (ordering), 2020 GLS450, 2017 BMW 535d
Country flag
I know very few folks are ordering the base 19” wheels on a 4S, but it looks like there is a Michelin PS4 option for Summers on that size now (vs Hankook only). If you are going w the 19”s and with Summers, the Michelin is prob a much better ride than the Hankook.