miguel

First Name
miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan 4s
Country flag
Hi, I have a 4S and with about 20,000 kms the front tires (pirelli p zero 265 35 zr 21 elect 101y) appear quite degraded with missing pieces. I'll have to change tires before 30,000. Has anyone had problems with pirelli tires? I complained about Porsche and Pirelli, but with 20,000kms they say it's normal...

Porsche Taycan tires degradation pneu frente taycan3

Porsche Taycan tires degradation pneu frente taycan2

Porsche Taycan tires degradation pneu frente taycan1

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag

YWGT3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo, BMW i8, and EQE 500 4Matic
Country flag
I learned a lesson on taking new tires on an ICE car to the track. Ended up losing chunks on several tires since they weren't properly broken in. In contrast to ICE cars, the Porsche EVs place a substantially greater amount of instant torque and stress on tires. Perhaps, especially when dealing with softer compound sport tires, immediate acceleration should be avoided until the treads have been properly worn in. Some tire manufacturers recommend gradual acceleration, braking, and cornering for the first 500 miles as a break-in period.

batteredhaddock

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT since 8th April 22
Country flag
I learned a lesson on taking new tires on an ICE car to the track. Ended up losing chunks on several tires since they weren't properly broken in. In contrast to ICE cars, the Porsche EVs place a substantially greater amount of instant torque and stress on tires. Perhaps, especially when dealing with softer compound sport tires, immediate acceleration should be avoided until the treads have been properly worn in. Some tire manufacturers recommend gradual acceleration, braking, and cornering for the first 500 miles as a break-in period.
Interesting on the breaking in, anything on this from Porsche? I'm guessing most will get their new Taycan and immediately launch it...(Porsche experience day may help reduce that initial urge). A very different car but still 2.2 tonnes, my current iPace is still going strong on 20,000 miles Goodyear F1 Asymmetric SUV (I know some have 30k before replacement but I don't nanny mine though road use only). Good to have heads up of another cost to bear in mind above the significantly increased monthly repayments when the Taycan arrives .......

OP
OP
miguel

miguel

First Name
miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan 4s
Country flag
TKS. Maybe I pushed too hard when I got the car

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
while the wear pictured is extreme getting 20k miles/32k km is not beyond normal wear

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, '19 e-Tron, '24 GMC 2500HD Duramax
Country flag
The overall wear appears normal for the mileage on a heavy car that has been driven briskly, but the chunk of rubber that has come out of the tread does not. My guess is that missing chunk is more likely related to a road hazard of some kind, perhaps running over a sharp stone or other debris.

YWGT3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo, BMW i8, and EQE 500 4Matic
Country flag
TKS. Maybe I pushed too hard when I got the car
It's easy and always tempting to push hard with the Taycan for the adrenalin rush. Unfortunately, the fresh tires bear the brunt of it. Good luck in breaking in the new ones.

Wakesurfer

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2023 YukonXL, 2024 Macan S
Country flag
Hi, I have a 4S and with about 20,000 kms the front tires (pirelli p zero 265 35 zr 21 elect 101y) appear quite degraded with missing pieces. I'll have to change tires before 30,000. Has anyone had problems with pirelli tires? I complained about Porsche and Pirelli, but with 20,000kms they say it's normal...

pneu frente taycan3.jpg

pneu frente taycan2.jpg

pneu frente taycan1.jpg
I was happy to get 8,000 miles on P Zeros on my 993. Summer driving was less - 7,000-7,500 miles. This was normal street driving with no track time. I had track wheels/tires for Drivers Ed events. At the time I was a PCA instructor/team leader and attended/instructed at 12-15 events per year. I never added up the dollars spent on tires but I would guess in the $14,000-$16,000 range per year including street tires that I happily used up. I imagine at today's prices upwards of $20,000 would not be surprising. I tell you this little story with a little added insight - tires are nothing more than tools to help you enjoy spirited (sometimes VERY spirited) driving. Drive it hard, learn how to aggressively enter and exit turns, use the tires up and just buy some more. By the looks of your tires I would guess that you are enjoying the handling characteristics of your car!!!?