Winter tires

DrT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4 Cross Turismo
Country flag
I ordered Taycan Tequipment Design 20" wheels that should come with Hakka winter tires (non-studded) from the dealer.
Sponsored

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
I’m going with 20” Taycan turbo aero design with N0 tyres for eur 5980.

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
I highly recommend the Michelin Pilot Alpin 4 or 5. Have those on my RWD 911 which goes anywhere uphill with those in the winter.
Thanks for the suggestion.

I am looking online in North America and am only seeing the PIRELLI SCORPION WINTER tires available. My car isn't going to be delivered until the end of 2021 (if I’m lucky) so I do have some time. Its possible there will be better availability as we get closer to delivery.

Last edited:

Arc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
Country flag
Reifendirekt is part of delti.com which has internetshops many countries. If you check their shops in the nordic countries (sweden, norway, finland etc) they do have the R3 in stock.
There however seem to be limited numbers available that may be the reason why they are not currently available in the german and swiss version of their online store.

https://www.dackonline.se/rshop/Dac...45-R20-103R-XL--Nordiska-vinterdaeck/R-411320

https://www.dackonline.se/rshop/Dac...40-R20-108R-XL--Nordiska-vinterdaeck/R-411321

Arc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
Country flag
The Pilot Alpin is a totally different kind of tyre compared to the R3. It’s not really a winter tire if by that you mean a tire made for real cold and icy winter conditions.

The Pilot Alpin is a central european winter tire made for highspeed driving primarily for rain and occasional light snow. Tread pattern and rubber compound is vastly different and optimised for tempartures above 32F/0C Performance wise it’s great for what it’s intended for but compared with the R3 its not anywhere near as good with regard to breaking distance and traction on ice, snow in harsher winter conditons and low temperatures.

The only similar alternative to R3 available 20inch Taycan dimensions is the Michelin X-ice SUV and if you want studded the Hakkapelitta 10 all the other alternatives are more or less similar to the pilot Alpin.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I am looking online in North America and am only seeing the PIRELLI SCORPION WINTER tires available. My car isn't going to be delivered until the end of 2021 (if I am lucky) so I do have some time. Its possible there will be better availability as we get
BTW, if you’re not bothered with the NF0 rating, then I highly recommend the Michelin Pilot Alpin 4 or 5. Have those on my RWD 911 which goes anywhere uphill with those in the winter. Had winter Pirelli’s before which never got more than 15k KMs with soft driving; these Michelins are over 25k KMs and still 4-5mm of thread. Maybe they’ll make it through the season

OP
OP
schad

schad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, e-tron
Country flag
There is a decent supply in Canada, the problem is that they generally won't ship. For example, if you're willing and able to get to the Toronto area, or know someone north of the border and can arrange shipment yourself, Premier Wheels Direct has some for about CAD$935 a pair. I'd make the trek there myself and spend some on the Canada side of Niagara Falls, but the truck's in the shop until mid-October and I don't think I can fit my four summer tires in the Taycan's trunk. :headbang:

tutis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
The Pilot Alpin is a totally different kind of tyre compared to the R3. It’s not really a winter tire if by that you mean a tire made for real cold and icy winter conditions.

The Pilot Alpin is a central european winter tire made for highspeed driving primarily for rain and occasional light snow. Tread pattern and rubber compound is vastly different and optimised for tempartures above 32F/0C Performance wise it’s great for what it’s intended for but compared with the R3 its not anywhere near as good with regard to breaking distance and traction on ice, snow in harsher winter conditons and low temperatures.

The only similar alternative to R3 available 20inch Taycan dimensions is the Michelin X-ice SUV and if you want studded the Hakkapelitta 10 all the other alternatives are more or less similar to the pilot Alpin.
Not sure where you got that the Pilot Alpin 4-5 is terrible, I’ve tried a few here in Switzerland over the years and found them to be the best for my use; daily to work through the countryside, driving up the mountain in any conditions even in unkept roads to go skiing nearly every weekend in season, etc. It’s usually -10 to -15c where I drive and the tyre perform fine. Considering I have a RWD 911 with those I’d say that the tyres exceed my expectations.

This test seems to agree that these are good tyres as they came out second (although behind the Nokian H3) https://www.tyrereviews.com/Tyre/Michelin/Pilot-Alpin-5.htm

The original poster mentioned he couldn’t find the H3, so I think the PA5 make sense. The X-ICE SUV is a SUV tyre so driving feel is probably not optimised which is a shame if you’ve gone through the expense of buying a low slung sedan instead of an etron SUV. Not sure how winter extreme you want to go anyway with the Taycan - if the snow is deep enough you’ll get beach because of ground clearance before the tyres lose traction…

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
If I can't get 'NFO Porsche' (as far as I can tell from the Tire Rack configurator, the Michelin Alpin 5 is not NFO), will there be problems with Porsche warranties?

tutis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
If I can't get 'NFO Porsche' (as far as I can tell from the Tire Rack configurator, the Michelin Alpin 5 is not NFO), will there be problems with Porsche warranties?
Short answer is that you will not have any issues in the US with your warranty thanks to the Magnuson Moss act (as was pointed out by another poster on this forum recently)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson–Moss_Warranty_Act

in Switzerland where I am Porsche initially wanted to refuse a PDK warranty replacement on my 911 because I anadvertantly put M0 (Mercedes) on the front. Thankfully my 911 is RWD and I successfully argued that the front tyres had no relationship with the gearbox. But they tried

Arc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
Country flag
Not sure where you got that the Pilot Alpin 4-5 is terrible, I’ve tried a few here in Switzerland over the years and found them to be the best for my use; daily to work through the countryside, driving up the mountain in any conditions even in unkept roads to go skiing nearly every weekend in season, etc. It’s usually -10 to -15c where I drive and the tyre perform fine. Considering I have a RWD 911 with those I’d say that the tyres exceed my expectations.

This test seems to agree that these are good tyres as they came out second (although behind the Nokian H3) https://www.tyrereviews.com/Tyre/Michelin/Pilot-Alpin-5.htm

The original poster mentioned he couldn’t find the H3, so I think the PA5 make sense. The X-ICE SUV is a SUV tyre so driving feel is probably not optimised which is a shame if you’ve gone through the expense of buying a low slung sedan instead of an etron SUV. Not sure how winter extreme you want to go anyway with the Taycan - if the snow is deep enough you’ll get beach because of ground clearance before the tyres lose traction…
If actually wrote that the Alpin is good fo the conditions its made for which high speed driving on mostly wet non snow covered roads paired with acceptable performance on lightly snow covered roads.

I would however not want them in harsher weather conditions. The rubber compound is too hard and the tread pattern is not made for huge amounts of snow, its design is actually more similar to a racing tyre made for rain. Therefore it will get clogged when there is too much snow.

Here i nordic countries where the winter often is much longer and harsher than in Switzerland ? we also get something called black ice which is when snow and ice melts and then refreeze forming an invisble ice layer on the road surface. Brake performance of light winter tires on this kind of surface condtions is not very good.

It has been proven repeatedly in tests done over the years by auto magazines that there is a huge difference between the winter tires made for light winters vs harsh winters.

The tire manufacturers themselves also recommend different tires depending on geographic location and driving conditions.

There are offcourse drawbacks with real winter tires such as R3 or studded Hakkapelitta. On wet and dry asphalt with no snow and when the temperature is above 10 C the soft rubber compound and the treadpattern will make them feel mushy and handle much worse than for instance Alpin. The max speed rating of the R3 is also much lower.

One should always try to choose the winter tire most appropriate for the geographic location and weather condtions you intend to use them in.
In some places Alpin and similar tires make most sense while in places where the winter is harsh R3 or even studded tires is a much wiser choice.

Vercingetorix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
I have to wait long enough to get replacement OEM tires from Discount Tire. Wouldn’t want to wait even longer for tires to come from a foreign country.

cccmanhattan

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan CT4S
Country flag
Has anyone tried this? Vredstein wintrac pros area available in those sizes.
275/40/20 seem to be about 100x as common as 285/40/20. Crucially they are they same diameter as 245/45/20.
Has anyone tried this? Vredstein has wintrac pros is this size. I ran them on an RS6 Last year and they were decent

jlee504

First Name
jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
targa gts
Country flag
did you get them from Suncoast? I'm thinking about a winter set as well. any impact on range?
I ordered Taycan Tequipment Design 20" wheels that should come with Hakka winter tires (non-studded) from the dealer.

andix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
991.1 S, Taycan Turbo (4/21), others
Country flag
Goodyear Ultra Grip Performance NF0
They're actually better than my summer tyres.
Make sure you get NF0 labels
Sponsored