Traded Taycan 4 CT for EQS 450 4Matic SUV

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
The software in the Mercedes seems to be developed by programmers who spent some time with focus groups getting input from consumers. Whereas, the Porsche software seems to have been written by people who have never driven a car.
In a previous lifetime, I worked for a small (German) company which was subcontracted by the provider of infotainment systems to Daimler; we were asked to provide the multimedia stack for the then-upcoming W221 S-Klasse. I had been around/working with technical PMs before and after, but the MB people were in a klasse (heh) of their own: they knew and formalized precisely what they wanted in terms of features, quality metrics/tolerances, useability _and_ had a good understanding of the technology we were peddling. It was quite an eye-opener (for me) into the differences between automotive software and "retail" (even business-oriented). That's not to say everyone develops/produces automotive software the same way MB does..

As for Porsche's, it's unclear (to me) how much of the new system was forced-adoption of Cariad, and what/if any comes from their own development centers (in Ro). The older/classic version in my gen 1 Macan seems to be the same QT-based, Harman-provided system also used by BMW - which is quite decent. (And the software in my 996 is just sophisticated enough to display a clock, and let you adjust it. Definitely written by drivers. ;-))
Sponsored

RingoDingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I am curious as to the rear seat space/third row. Is it more like a GLE or a GLS in terms of third row ease/access and space for adults?

OP
OP
fgwinn

fgwinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 FBM CT4 (sold), MY23 EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Country flag
I am curious as to the rear seat space/third row. Is it more like a GLE or a GLS in terms of third row ease/access and space for adults?
I purchased a 5-seat version from dealer inventory. The mat in the cargo area is 43" long by 39" wide. The entire floor lifts up to expose a somewhat irregular shaped storage area. I did look at some EQS SUVs with the optional third row. They are more like the GLE with three rows. The EQS SUV is shorter than a GLS. The versions with three rows have less than half as much below floor storage space since room is needed to accommodate the folded seats.

There is a designated storage place for the cargo area cover at the rear edge of the subfloor compartment in both 5-seat and 7-seat models.

Porsche Taycan Traded Taycan 4 CT for EQS 450 4Matic SUV 43Long39WideEQS-SUV-cargo-mat

Porsche Taycan Traded Taycan 4 CT for EQS 450 4Matic SUV FloorJackCompartment

Porsche Taycan Traded Taycan 4 CT for EQS 450 4Matic SUV TeslaMobileEVSEinStorageCompartment

RingoDingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I purchased a 5-seat version from dealer inventory. The mat in the cargo area is 43" long by 39" wide. The entire floor lifts up to expose a somewhat irregular shaped storage area. I did look at some EQS SUVs with the optional third row. They are more like the GLE with three rows. The EQS SUV is shorter than a GLS. The versions with three rows have less than half as much below floor storage space since room is needed to accommodate the folded seats.

There is a designated storage place for the cargo area cover at the rear edge of the subfloor compartment in both 5-seat and 7-seat models.

43Long39WideEQS-SUV-cargo-mat.jpeg

FloorJackCompartment.jpeg

TeslaMobileEVSEinStorageCompartment.jpeg
Thank you! I had a feeling it was more GLE-sized than GLS. We're a proper GLS-sized Texan family, but I'm hopeful in the next 8-10 years we can get an EQS GLS-sized vehicle with range enough to get to Houston and back on a single charge (i.e., a little over 525km).

OP
OP
fgwinn

fgwinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
...but I'm hopeful in the next 8-10 years we can get an EQS GLS-sized vehicle with range enough to get to Houston and back on a single charge (i.e., a little over 525km).
EPA range on EQS 450 4Matic SUV is 285 miles. 100% charge at home indicated 347 miles. You probably won't have to wait 8-10 years to get an SUV that can comfortably make that round trip.

RingoDingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
EPA range on EQS 450 4Matic SUV is 285 miles. 100% charge at home indicated 347 miles. You probably won't have to wait 8-10 years to get an SUV that can comfortably make that round trip.
8 years is more my timeframe for when I'd be buying a new family hauler. I agree we probably get a GLS sized electric SUV before then.

Replika

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Lightning
Country flag
Probably a good call. At this point I’m set on EQS/EQE out of all of the EV sedans. The ride and NVH are on another level. That’s what they do best. Software is also fantastic.

In spite of the exterior design it’s an easy decision.

OP
OP
fgwinn

fgwinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Probably a good call. At this point I’m set on EQS/EQE out of all of the EV sedans. The ride and NVH are on another level. That’s what they do best. Software is also fantastic.

In spite of the exterior design it’s an easy decision.
Setting up the AC charging schedule at home is more intuitive in the EQS. Simply specify up to four time slots per day when NOT to charge. You can also specify a departure time like in the Taycan. Maybe MB follows this forum to learn from Taycan owners' experience. Another feature I like is that there is a setting to prompt you to keep the last used drive mode when starting the car. However, in the EQS SUV drive modes other than Comfort are not something I expect to use very often.

Replika

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Lightning
Country flag
Setting up the AC charging schedule at home is more intuitive in the EQS. Simply specify up to four time slots per day when NOT to charge. You can also specify a departure time like in the Taycan. Maybe MB follows this forum to learn from Taycan owners' experience. Another feature I like is that there is a setting to prompt you to keep the last used drive mode when starting the car. However, in the EQS SUV drive modes other than Comfort are not something I expect to use very often.
Glad to hear you’re enjoying it so far. I’ve experienced modern Mercs and the software touches are quite nice. I really liked the feature that subtly adjusts the seat position points over time to keep you more relaxed. Have you tried the trip planner? Apparently it’s at least as good as Tesla’s.

For what it’s worth, Merc software seems to be the best of all the Germans. I’ve also enjoyed BMW’s (especially iDrive 7 and before), and found that VAG software is anywhere from just acceptable to atrocious.

bluegrassvroom

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 taycan 4s
Country flag
I totally understand the increasing trend for jellybean-shaped cars due to much-needed aerodynamic efficiency when designing EVs, but I really don't like how MB has taken this concept and made it priority #1 over anything else it seems. IMO, they didn't even make a decent effort to make a good-looking EV. They went with maximum aero efficiency and to hell with any semblance of attractive styling. I mean c'mon! We all know this is possible - Porsche has done it, Audi too to some degree, and even Tesla to an even lesser degree. But all the MB EQ models literally look the same from a distance - they all look like jellybeans with a big 3-pointed star stuck on one end.

[snip]
Glad to hear someone else feels the same way i do. I did see in another post, someone referred to the EQS (sedan) as "FUGLY" which i also second. I literally lost my breath when i saw people typing that they thought it was great looking. Never felt to gaslit in my life. It's simple. It's hideous. And i have to wonder about ANYONE'S mental status who says otherwise. And NO, this isn't like each new model styling of a BMW that i dislike the first year that grows on me. EQS sedans are ugly jelly beans. Ugly licorice jelly beans, not even the tasty flavors

Porsche Taycan Traded Taycan 4 CT for EQS 450 4Matic SUV 1668357604210

I'd have driven the concept - the bottom image above, in a heartbeat. To me, there's ZERO personality in the production model. Or it has personality - that of the librarian that shushed you in elementary school. When i first saw it in person, i literally, swear to god, laughed out loud. To do THAT to a car, a concept, that had so much going for it.

I still haven't seen the EQS SUV in person - but i'm not immediately turned off by the photos. I like a more aggressive SUV like the Q8 or X6 or even an F-Pace (don't get me started on the Venza, sorry, i mean I-Pace)

Hopefully, this is a VERY short-lived phase, and Mercedes grows out of it VERY quickly

Sorry to throw this in your thread, i jsut have been waiting to say how hideous the EQS sedan is and i couldn't hold it any longer

MrBlueSky

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S
Country flag
Glad to hear someone else feels the same way i do. I did see in another post, someone referred to the EQS (sedan) as "FUGLY" which i also second. I literally lost my breath when i saw people typing that they thought it was great looking. Never felt to gaslit in my life. It's simple. It's hideous. And i have to wonder about ANYONE'S mental status who says otherwise. And NO, this isn't like each new model styling of a BMW that i dislike the first year that grows on me. EQS sedans are ugly jelly beans. Ugly licorice jelly beans, not even the tasty flavors……….

……..Hopefully, this is a VERY short-lived phase, and Mercedes grows out of it VERY quickly
Hyundai appear to think otherwise by the looks of it:

Porsche Taycan Traded Taycan 4 CT for EQS 450 4Matic SUV B983E7C4-18F5-452A-8D22-D94C7493E2B7

OP
OP
fgwinn

fgwinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I sold off the last of my Taycan CT accessories so I don't have much reason to hang around the Taycan forum. All of the stuff went to forum members except the PMC+ since the forum members are better informed than eBay buyers. I have been busy personalizing my MB EQS SUV and posting the results on a couple of different MB forums.

If I live long enough, I might work my way over to the Porsche dealer to check out the next generation of the Porsche EVs.

For now I am happy with the MB EQS SUV which I may have to hang onto for a couple of years since used car prices are rapidly falling. The Taycan CT I traded six weeks ago is still on the dealer lot priced at $6K over the MSRP at the end of 2021.

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
I sold off the last of my Taycan CT accessories so I don't have much reason to hang around the Taycan forum. All of the stuff went to forum members except the PMC+ since the forum members are better informed than eBay buyers. I have been busy personalizing my MB EQS SUV and posting the results on a couple of different MB forums.

If I live long enough, I might work my way over to the Porsche dealer to check out the next generation of the Porsche EVs.

For now I am happy with the MB EQS SUV which I may have to hang onto for a couple of years since used car prices are rapidly falling. The Taycan CT I traded six weeks ago is still on the dealer lot priced at $6K over the MSRP at the end of 2021.

Are you going to post a picture of what you did to personalize your new MB? I am kind of curious since I am not sure what you can really do to make the car look any better. I did not think a car manufacturer could make an uglier car than the new BMW iX, but MB pulled it off.

It is always interesting to see what people do to make extremely unattractive vehicles less unattractive, but since you are still hanging around here, let's see what you did.

OP
OP
fgwinn

fgwinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I agree that neither the EQS Sedan nor the BMW iX are going to win any beauty contests. But IMHO there is nothing wrong with the way the EQS SUV looks. "Personalized" may have been the wrong choice of words since I have not done anything to change the outward appearance of the car. So far my modifications are more like functional adjustments in a few areas where I was not satisfied with MB's approach.

First one was relatively simple and required disassembling the under cargo area storage compartment at the rear of the car to cut a flap in the liner to allow easy access to one of the fuse panels.

Second one was a bit more complicated. MB does not include a frunk in the EQS. The hood release is concealed and there are no hood struts to hold the raised hood open. Basically, MB does not expect owners to open the hood. After one week, the cowl area was full of leaves and it became apparent that the only way to prevent the leaves from rotting and plugging up drain holes was to open the hood. The hood is too heavy to safely prop open while working under it so I ordered a couple of different lengths of aftermarket struts with different force ratings. The hinge incorporates a ball stud but I did have to install a 10mm ball stud on the inner fender. Fortunately an M8x1.25 threaded hole was available.

The third thing I did was to install a MagSafe cell phone mount. Like the Taycan, the EQS has a wireless charger for a single phone which is not ideal for a two-phone family. While somewhat awkwardly placed ahead of the cup holders, it is more accessible in the EQS than in the Taycan console compartment. I installed the phone mount on the dashboard and disassembled the center console in order to conceal the MagSafe power cable on its route to one of the USB C ports below the sliding lid on the console. There are eight USB C ports in the EQS. The one I chose to use had a surprise feature. When a phone is either on the factory wireless charger or the MagSafe charger is plugged into one of the two USB C ports near the cup holders "Hey Mercedes" reminds you to take your phone when the car is powered down and you open the door to exit.

Next project... While some EQS configurations include a 12v socket in the cabin, mine only included one in the cargo area near the lift gate. I plan to install one in the cabin, possibly in the center console.

Porsche Taycan Traded Taycan 4 CT for EQS 450 4Matic SUV EQS-SUV-OpenHood

Porsche Taycan Traded Taycan 4 CT for EQS 450 4Matic SUV HangingTrim

Porsche Taycan Traded Taycan 4 CT for EQS 450 4Matic SUV MagSafeCableToConsoleUSB