Mercedes Benz EQS vs Tayacn

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think you also need to add EQ'S' is meant to be the limo electric car, so it will be opulent inside, and probably not overly exciting to look at (but we might be surprised). However, it will also drive very smoothly and not unlike a normal S-class. Porsche on the other hand benchmarked and often references the Taycan driving experience with a 911. So unless the EQS drives like an AMG-GT - there is not comparison...IMO
The Taycan does drive very much like a Porsche. It handles similarly to a sports car. The EQS will likely drive like and S Class. I think that may be a good thing and a solid reason why I would want both.

I cannot help myself with what I'm about to say. The way it seems many of our members drive their Taycan's, (Hyper mileage, low highway speeds...) what difference does it make if it handles and performs like a 911 ??
Sponsored

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
I cannot help myself with what I'm about to say. The way it seems many of our members drive their Taycan's, (Hyper mileage, low highway speeds...) what difference does it make if it handles and performs like a 911 ??
back in the early days of EVs I owned a nissan leaf, the nerds in the leaf world would do hypermiling stunts to show how far the car could go, one guy got well over 125 miles by driving around his block at 12 mph, I countered with if I want to go @ 12 mph I could rollerblade to wherever I was going.
the hypermiling is just a foolish exercise. plan your trips when venturing away from home, know where the chargers are and then drive the car as it was meant to be driven.

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
back in the early days of EVs I owned a nissan leaf, the nerds in the leaf world would do hypermiling stunts to show how far the car could go, one guy got well over 125 miles by driving around his block at 12 mph, I countered with if I want to go @ 12 mph I could rollerblade to wherever I was going.
the hypermiling is just a foolish exercise. plan your trips when venturing away from home, know where the chargers are and then drive the car as it was meant to be driven.
AMEN !!

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
Sure, as long as you don't complain that your range is less than 200 miles, have all the fun you want. Even at a 200 miles range most of us are able to charge most days in the convenience of our own garages, so it does not really matter that much. One can still hypermile when needed on long road trips through charger-poor deserts.

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Sure, as long as you don't complain that your range is less than 200 miles, have all the fun you want. Even at a 200 miles range most of us are able to charge most days in the convenience of our own garages, so it does not really matter that much. One can still hypermile when needed on long road trips through charger-poor deserts.
I have been known to complain about my range, yes. But I'm gonna try harder to be grateful and accept it.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
if you're only getting 200 miles of range at 100% maybe there is something wrong, my car is reporting 250+ miles @ 100% 4S 20 inch wheels, as for charger poor regions there are range extending tricks that can be employed, first off is slow down to around 70 mph and my favorite one is to get behind a fast moving truck, no need to tailgate, even at more than 100 feet back you'll get the benefit of being in his wake.

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
if you're only getting 200 miles of range at 100% maybe there is something wrong, my car is reporting 250+ miles @ 100% 4S 20 inch wheels, as for charger poor regions there are range extending tricks that can be employed, first off is slow down to around 70 mph and my favorite one is to get behind a fast moving truck, no need to tailgate, even at more than 100 feet back you'll get the benefit of being in his wake.
I showed 199 mile range guesstimate in cold weather @ 100%. These days will show about 230 mile guesstimate @ 100%. But if I drive "normal" I'm never gonna see it.

Tay Tay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Loving him is like driving a new Maserati down a dead-end street
Country flag
I showed 199 mile range guesstimate in cold weather @ 100%. These days will show about 230 mile guesstimate @ 100%. But if I drive "normal" I'm never gonna see it.
But also this:

And my two buddies (Turbo S and a Turbo) both regularly charge to 90%. None of us will have the cars long enough to really have to worry about true "longevity" of the battery - unless it's affected in 4 years +/-
I get 300 driving normally and I don’t charge above 80% routinely. So maybe you should care a little more about the recommendations LOL.

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
But also this:

I get 300 driving normally and I don’t charge above 80% routinely. So maybe you should care a little more about the recommendations LOL.
Please show me a pic of your dash with the car run all the way down. Show me the range left and the range since charging in the right hand screen. Very interested to see the 300 mile range you are getting, thanks

I've been charging my car to 85% since day one. The battery was tested and it is at 93% capacity. The cells are also pretty even. I always run the battery down below 30% charge before recharging. I never let it sit below 20% overnight. I charge the car as little as I have to. Car sits in heated garage all year long, never sits overnight in the cold.

Best,

John

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
The Taycan does drive very much like a Porsche. It handles similarly to a sports car. The EQS will likely drive like and S Class. I think that may be a good thing and a solid reason why I would want both.
Me too!

If live in a big city with lots of speed limits and lots of traffic. Sometimes you are close to hypermiling - no choice. I do enjoy to hit corners really hard!

First one was wet, lost a little grip, fun! The second is a nasty compounding corner, even more fun!

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Please show me a pic of your dash with the car run all the way down...
Switch off AC/heating, perhaps pump up the tires and then drive the car for 20 min and see if you can get the consumption down to this level:

Porsche Taycan Mercedes Benz EQS vs Tayacn 1618890213684

Over 300 miles driven with 2% SoC and 7 miles left.

Porsche Taycan Mercedes Benz EQS vs Tayacn 1618890388599

Short trip this morning. No AC. Consumption even lower. It's really not that hard!

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Porsche Taycan Mercedes Benz EQS vs Tayacn 1618933086224

This is pretty typical for my driving style.

Eco/AC on all the time, Apple car play, Waze, heat at 70-72, radar detector, seat heaters (if necessary).

struther

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan GTR, Nissan 350z
Country flag
1618933086224.png

This is pretty typical for my driving style.

Eco/AC on all the time, Apple car play, Waze, heat at 70-72, radar detector, seat heaters (if necessary).
That’s more than I am getting at 85%. I am, however, only on week two with the car and have never taken it out of Sport Plus mode.

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That’s more than I am getting at 85%. I am, however, only on week two with the car and have never taken it out of Sport Plus mode.
That will do it. I drive on Normal all the time.
Sponsored