Transmission noise at 50mph / 80kph?

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Hmm, time for me to try and setup a soundproofing project then.... The Rivian and M3P are dead silent at these speeds, really surprises me if this is normal for Porsche.
My 2020 Model 3 was twice as loud as the Taycan at all speeds.
Sponsored

MConte05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4. GTS ST inbound
Country flag
My 2020 Model 3 was twice as loud as the Taycan at all speeds.
Road and wind noise yes, but the drivetrain was silent, and since this happens mostly at 35-45mph which isn't all that loud for road and wind noise, the loud drivetrain noise is really noticeable in this Taycan.

Toodal00

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan RWD, 21 Tesla MY, Mercedes E350, GLC 300
Country flag
my car makes this noise around 45mph and the shop foreman blamed it on the tires, i told him why does the noise come out then when you press the accelerator?? he had no answer. Will go back and write it up!

MConte05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4. GTS ST inbound
Country flag
my car makes this noise around 45mph and the shop foreman blamed it on the tires, i told him why does the noise come out then when you press the accelerator?? he had no answer. Will go back and write it up!
recently switched over to winter tires and no change in the noise.

going to a different dealer here since my closest one wants nothing to do with this car. Really frustrating.

rs38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan,gt2,i8
Country flag
simple test if it's the tires or not: switch between 1st and 2nd gear with normal and sport mode at ~60kph if the noise changes by only changing the gear, it cannot be the tires, right?

Bognar67

First Name
Janos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
T M3P 2019, Taycan GTS 2022, i4 40 MS 2024
Country flag
Electric engines has/had a trouble with keeping very high rpms and still give a lot of hp/torque. This was until tesla revealed the plaid, which uses a carbon sleve around the stator, amongst other things, to deal with the forces of spinning the engine at veeery high rpms.

Usually, you would choose a fixed gearing for you electric motor when you connect it to the wheels. A low ratio would give you better response in low speed, and better 0-60 for instance. But a higher gearing will give you a higher top speed, and better consumption (usually).

porsche decided they wanted both and for the first time, as far as i know, introduced a gearbox. You can read more about this here:
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/part-3-whats-so-great-porsche-taycans-2-speed-ev-mathiazhagan

This is a technical walktrough of the unit by people that sell this information to other manafacturers (so quite detailed, 3 parts).

The sound you are hearing comes from the first of the two gears. The first gear is an almost straight cut gear, just like you reverse gear in normal cars. This makes more sound then a more common helical gear. If you select sport or sport+ drive mode (not suspension) the car will start in 1 gear, and keep you there untill 60-90kmh/h. An algorithm of your current drivestyle decides when second gear is activated. If i have been doing some crazy stuff i usually get second gear in the high 80’s (km/h) and as soon as 65km/h when cruising.

Normal and range mode will start you in second gear untill you basicly flore it (and under a certain speed ofcourse).

It is reported by some users that their cars are making a noticable gear sound in 1 gear in higher speeds. Mine make it from 80km/h to about 90km/h. It is also more noticeable when engine breaking/regen at the same speed. I have never seen any information from porsche if they look into this sound when people report it, or if its expected/ok/can-occur.
Today I kept speed 40-50mph in Sport following the relatively slow traffic (so 1st gear) an recon this strange noice as well, especially on overrun. Sport sound off, coming clearly from the rear. As soon as shifts up to 2nd it is gone. Then slow down to 15 mph, waiting to shift down, accelerating to this 40-50mph and the same annoying noise.
So what is your experience from the last year, it is normal? I mean should I turn to service? 5 month old car with 6k miles. -Thanks in advance.

JonasOfNorway

First Name
Jonas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Today I kept speed 40-50mph in Sport following the relatively slow traffic (so 1st gear) an recon this strange noice as well, especially on overrun. Sport sound off, coming clearly from the rear. As soon as shifts up to 2nd it is gone. Then slow down to 15 mph, waiting to shift down, accelerating to this 40-50mph and the same annoying noise.
So what is your experience from the last year, it is normal? I mean should I turn to service? 5 month old car with 6k miles. -Thanks in advance.
I felt the sound getting higher so asked the dealer to have a look at it.
I had the senior tech with me in the car, and he informed me it was well within normal and they had checked with the factory after a guy with a 2023 GTS had complained about the sound. The tech also said the sound was more present in the GTS than mine.

Bognar67

First Name
Janos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I felt the sound getting higher so asked the dealer to have a look at it.
I had the senior tech with me in the car, and he informed me it was well within normal and they had checked with the factory after a guy with a 2023 GTS had complained about the sound. The tech also said the sound was more present in the GTS than mine.
Thank you for your fast respond.-So it seems this issue is not a mechanical failure, we have to live with.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That's my exact issue even after drive unit replacement. It is more pronounced with regen on due to the "engine braking" effect and friction (no coasting). Porsche has no idea. My dealer and the local/state rep have nothing further to add. It's not normal - when the car was brand new it did NOT do it - started around 800 miles.

Just like the charger being throttled back to 50% - they have no solution at this time. Have to deal with it and I have made it clear to PCNA that I am not happy.

Bognar67

First Name
Janos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That's my exact issue even after drive unit replacement. It is more pronounced with regen on due to the "engine braking" effect and friction (no coasting). Porsche has no idea. My dealer and the local/state rep have nothing further to add. It's not normal - when the car was brand new it did NOT do it - started around 800 miles.

Just like the charger being throttled back to 50% - they have no solution at this time. Have to deal with it and I have made it clear to PCNA that I am not happy.
Thank you. So nothing to do with, especially if drive train unit exchange did not solve it.
Really unpleasant noise for sure. Destroying the driving pleasure at the mentioned drive mode/speed conditions.

CarpeDM

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have this same issue. I would call it a noticeable whine that might start around 25mph and stops at the shift. What I don't get is that it happens in Sport mode only. Not at all in Normal mode. Any ideas?

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have this same issue. I would call it a noticeable whine that might start around 25mph and stops at the shift. What I don't get is that it happens in Sport mode only. Not at all in Normal mode. Any ideas?
It's more pronounced in sport since first gear is held longer and first gear is the problem. Mine was very noisy 50-60mph - especially when deceleration with regen/recoup on.

Bognar67

First Name
Janos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes, it is a 1st gear issue. Were loud when the weather is cold, especially added with cold transmission temperature. A little bit better with higher km (run in) but still annoying before the upshift.

CarpeDM

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Yes, it is a 1st gear issue. Were loud when the weather is cold, especially added with cold transmission temperature. A little bit better with higher km (run in) but still annoying before the upshift.
thanks very much. So is there a fix or is it just something to live with? Any reason to talk to dealer?

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
thanks very much. So is there a fix or is it just something to live with? Any reason to talk to dealer?
Live with it. I already had my drive unit replaced and the noise came back after a short time.
Sponsored