Trying setting up work and home charging profiles

DennisB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Country flag
I've read several posts and looked at the youtube tutorials, but I'm still confused. This morning I arrived at the car and the charger was flashing red, so clearly something went wrong with my setup.

What I would like to achieve is pretty simple. 85% charge everywhere and at home a preferred charging time, because of the electricity rates.

- Went to profiles and have the general and added a home profile.
- General set to 85%
- Home is location based with charge set to 40% and preferred hours between 23.00-6.00
- Apparently a timer needs to be added to not exceed the 85%.
- Set timer to 6.00h daily, no preconditioning and at 85% charge.

I assumed I was telling my car now; When I'm at home be ready with charging at 6.00 am at 85% and you're only allowed to charge between 11pm and 6am. When I'm at work always charge to 85% with no restrictions.

Although this is not working, because it's also referring to the timer when I charge at my work address (timers are not location based). Do I need to add another profile and timer for my work? If yes, how does it know where to use what timer.
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Keep it simple and activate 1 timer (for all days of the week or preferred days) and 1 location based profile for Home.

Repeat and create another for work if you need to but only activate when at Work (again create a location based profile for this)

Don’t use the General Profile (this is the default). Remember that location based means using the geo-coordinates of where you are set automatically from the app map or My Porsche map.

Once you have this working then you can try and be ‘clever’ with multiple active profiles (when location based they should only become ‘active’ when at that geographical location.

Porsche Taycan Trying setting up work and home charging profiles Profile - Preferred Charging Time
Porsche Taycan Trying setting up work and home charging profiles Daily Timer
(

OP
OP

DennisB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Country flag
Thanks.

I found out that my setup only works when activating and de-activating the timer at the location the car is. Sort of what W1nge is saying.

Creating 2 profiles works, but the car will charge to 100%. Adding timers will prevent that, but the timers functionality is separate from the profile. Therefore when a profile is active you still need to select a timer you want to use for your max charge.

This is actually ridiculous and undermines the idea of creating a profile based on your charging preference at a certain location. But it is what it is.

2 solutions:
- Create a location based profile and let it charge to 100%
- Manually select a timer every time you change the location you want to charge.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Thanks.

I found out that my setup only works when activating and de-activating the timer at the location the car is. Sort of what W1nge is saying.

Creating 2 profiles works, but the car will charge to 100%. Adding timers will prevent that, but the timers functionality is separate from the profile. Therefore when a profile is active you still need to select a timer you want to use for your max charge.

This is actually ridiculous and undermines the idea of creating a profile based on your charging preference at a certain location. But it is what it is.

2 solutions:
- Create a location based profile and let it charge to 100%
- Manually select a timer every time you change the location you want to charge.
Nice to hear that you have got it working as you wanted.

Have you tried to set two timers ( or more)? So if you set a timer for leaving work say at 17.00 and repeat that for all weekdays. And then set another timer for your home that finishes at the time that your night rate finishes and repeat that for all days in the week.
And have bot of these options ticked all the time. The car should then only charge weekdays at your work and at preferred times at home. Just remember to untick the work timer on holidays etc.

OP
OP

DennisB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Country flag
Nice to hear that you have got it working as you wanted.

Have you tried to set two timers ( or more)? So if you set a timer for leaving work say at 17.00 and repeat that for all weekdays. And then set another timer for your home that finishes at the time that your night rate finishes and repeat that for all days in the week.
And have bot of these options ticked all the time. The car should then only charge weekdays at your work and at preferred times at home. Just remember to untick the work timer on holidays etc.
It's actually not working the way I want it to, or how I interpret a charge profile.

I simpy need:
Work (or anywhere else): charge to 85% every time I plug in, because I never know when to leave for an appointment.
Home: charge at night between 11am-6pm to 85%.

And this is not possible to my understanding.

With timers I could set:
Leaving at 8pm from work with 85%, but if I need to do a trip in the afternoon at 2pm I could have far less than 85%. I could also prevent that and set that 85% would be reached at 12pm, but if I plug in at 3pm it would use the timer that is set for home charging between 11pm-6am and therefore it would only reach 85% at 6am the next day.

Gordy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I also need the same setup as the OP - Home setup with timer - works fine for my cheap electric tariff and then I want 85% any other time on AC when away from home, in this case similar to the OP, if I'm at work which also has AC chargers.
I've not had a chance to test my setup as I'm fully WFH due to Covid at present and haven't tried taking the car to another L2 AC charging spot other than home. I was hoping that the location and time for home and then keeping General set to 85% would solve it. From what's mentioned above it doesn't, which is frustrating - I don't really want to be activating different charge setting each time I get in the car for home or work that's just a PITA.

Will find some time to do some tests to see if I can get a solution also.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
At work you want to charge immediately to 85% - that's a profile (GPS-based). So, what does the car do once the profile is satisfied? The answer - it does whatever the active timer tells it to do. If that active timer is (for example) for your next AM departure from home with 85%, it will pause, since the timer has also been satisfied. If there is no active timer, it will charge to 100%. So if you have preferred rates at home, set a timer for 85% (or 80%) for the end of the lower tariff time period. Even though you can set preferred charging times in a profile for your home, I find this is not necessary - just set the departure time for the end of lower rate and be done with it. So you would end up with one active profile (85%, GPS-based for work) and one active timer (85% with a departure time at the end of your lower tariff electricity). Give it a try.

OP
OP

DennisB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Country flag
At work you want to charge immediately to 85% - that's a profile (GPS-based). So, what does the car do once the profile is satisfied? The answer - it does whatever the active timer tells it to do. If that active timer is (for example) for your next AM departure from home with 85%, it will pause, since the timer has also been satisfied. If there is no active timer, it will charge to 100%.
Correct

just set the departure time for the end of lower rate and be done with it. So you would end up with one active profile (85%, GPS-based for work) and one active timer (85% with a departure time at the end of your lower tariff electricity). Give it a try.
The first part would work if I would only want to charge at home. You can debate if the profile with dedicated charging hours would add any value, but that's not relevant here.

What you're missing here, or maybe I'm overseeing something is; I can't create a profile for work that would charge to 85% without adding a timer. I don't need a timer at work, because it should charge right away to 85%. Therefore you could use the general profile where you are able to set the max charge percentage. With another profile this would be the minimal charge percentage (to make things confusing).

Conclusion: Adding a timer works for every profile you would add. The departure time of 7am will prevent my car to charge at my work during the day. I need to disable the timer in the menu to get it to charge.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
It would require some juggling given the dependencies. Have you thought of simply having your home settings (timer and a profile) and nothing for work but when you get to work set the charging to be DC (Direct Charge) from the app (or PCM or My Porsche) and then monitor it remotely and disable when 85% (or target charge) is reached?

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
The first part would work if I would only want to charge at home. You can debate if the profile with dedicated charging hours would add any value, but that's not relevant here.

What you're missing here, or maybe I'm overseeing something is; I can't create a profile for work that would charge to 85% without adding a timer. I don't need a timer at work, because it should charge right away to 85%. Therefore you could use the general profile where you are able to set the max charge percentage. With another profile this would be the minimal charge percentage (to make things confusing).

Conclusion: Adding a timer works for every profile you would add. The departure time of 7am will prevent my car to charge at my work during the day. I need to disable the timer in the menu to get it to charge.
I did goof in my reply. You need both the general profile active (at the minimum of 25%) and your work profile. You definitely need an active timer to get the car to stop charging at a specified SOC. But the minimum charge in the applied profile is what the car will start charging to immediately. When you plug in there will be zero or one applied profiles and zero or one applied timers. I say zero because you can disable the general profile. If you have the general profile active and other profiles active (e.g. your work profile), a GPS-based profile always takes priority over the general profile.

So what I am saying is that if you add a profile for work and set it to 85% it will immediately charge your car to 85% when you plug in at work. Once it reaches 85% at that location is when a timer will matter. If there is an applied timer with a target charge > 85%, it will calculate when it needs to resume charging to reach the max charge in the timer. If there is an applied timer with a target charge <= 85%, it will do nothing since that timer has been satisfied. Once the time for the applied timer passes, another timer could become applied and the above logic is repeated, but I haven't actually tried that.

Try my suggestion then next time you get to work. Create a profile there (recall you have to save the GPS location there), set to 85%, make that profile active, and check what the charging dashboard says for the applied profile and timer. If they are correct, plug in and see what happens. If your car isn't charging within 60 seconds, I will have been proven wrong.

OP
OP

DennisB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Country flag
I did goof in my reply. You need both the general profile active (at the minimum of 25%) and your work profile. You definitely need an active timer to get the car to stop charging at a specified SOC. But the minimum charge in the applied profile is what the car will start charging to immediately. When you plug in there will be zero or one applied profiles and zero or one applied timers. I say zero because you can disable the general profile. If you have the general profile active and other profiles active (e.g. your work profile), a GPS-based profile always takes priority over the general profile.
Correct

So what I am saying is that if you add a profile for work and set it to 85% it will immediately charge your car to 85% when you plug in at work. Once it reaches 85% at that location is when a timer will matter. If there is an applied timer with a target charge > 85%, it will calculate when it needs to resume charging to reach the max charge in the timer. If there is an applied timer with a target charge <= 85%, it will do nothing since that timer has been satisfied. Once the time for the applied timer passes, another timer could become applied and the above logic is repeated, but I haven't actually tried that.
I'm actually a little ashamed I didn't came up with that myself. I'll blame it on the workload I have at my company.

Try my suggestion then next time you get to work.
I'm always at my work ;) and will try this, but I'm almost sure this is going to work. Thanks.

OP
OP

DennisB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Country flag
It seems to be working. I want to charge to 85% at both places and created 2 profiles:

- Home, min charge level 40% (so direct charge is to 40%). The added timer makes sure the remaining 45% is done between 23pm and 6am
- Work, min charge to 85%, so when connected the charge will always go to 85%.

This will give sort of an error in the screen, because the min. set charge is above the charge target, but it works.

SJGG

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have encountered a similar issue in that I want to use the cheaper rate power available overnight and have set the "preferred charging times" to 00.00-05.00 for a home based profile. If I set the minimum charge level to (say) 25% and a target leve of (say) 85% the car will immediately charge when plugged in and then stop at 25% irrespective of the target charge level. Interestingly this function was working perfectly prior to the WMA5/6 software update.

The car is now at the dealer in an attempt to rectify this issue and another, unrelated, problem. I have been informed that Porsche Germany are now aware of this bug as it has been reported by multiple other owners and are working on a software fix. Expect another software update shortly....

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
Just a thought: why not charge to 100% when you are at home?
Or at work, if you are not leaving the office During the day?
Sponsored