UK Insurance - selecting repairer rules?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
My assumption is that having entered the registration and purchase price the quote is accurate, but agree it’s cheap, comparatively.
Nope that won't work - you must ensure the insurer has complete details for your own assurance.
Sponsored

Speuk

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT 4S in Dolomite Silver
Country flag
Nope that won't work - you must ensure the insurer has complete details for your own assurance.
Yes good advice. The insurers I have dealt with have so far all confirmed that factory fitted options are covered but aftermarket wheels, tuning etc can change the premium or worse mean they won't insure

Foxy

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS6,992GTS,GolfGTI
Country flag
Yes good advice. The insurers I have dealt with have so far all confirmed that factory fitted options are covered but aftermarket wheels, tuning etc can change the premium or worse mean they won't insure
There are no after market options but I’ve followed a process through the insurers website, with no apparent option to detail the exact spec of the car, the insured value is what I’m due to pay. I’ve followed this process dozens of times, but as I’ve not made a claim for years I’ve no idea if this is watertight.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
There are no after market options but I’ve followed a process through the insurers website, with no apparent option to detail the exact spec of the car, the insured value is what I’m due to pay. I’ve followed this process dozens of times, but as I’ve not made a claim for years I’ve no idea if this is watertight.
Caveat emptor!

Good luck.

Foxy

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS6,992GTS,GolfGTI
Country flag
Caveat emptor!

Good luck.
Not sure what you’re driving or the value of your car, but there are so many variables that comparison is difficult. I assume you somehow sent your insurer the full spec of your car? Not sure how I do that on their on line model but will try again tomorrow, agree that it’s cheap but I’ve had experience of high cost insurers (cancelled holiday due to a bereavement) nailing me to have a healthy scepticism.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Not sure what you’re driving or the value of your car, but there are so many variables that comparison is difficult. I assume you somehow sent your insurer the full spec of your car? Not sure how I do that on their on line model but will try again tomorrow, agree that it’s cheap but I’ve had experience of high cost insurers (cancelled holiday due to a bereavement) nailing me to have a healthy scepticism.
I insure through Admiral and have a multicar policy.

They were very clear on requiring complete details on the specification of the car (factory options and not aftermarket (there isn't one but that's beside the point)).

Some of the options carry a hefty price such as the performance battery plus (£4K) which is an option on a 4S.

Perhaps eSure are doing a special promotion or premiums have tumbled.

I'm 60, live in a no crime area, full NCB, no penalty points, car is garaged etc and I think I've got a bargain at £550 (others have been quoted twice this rate from the same insurer).

Just trying to highlight a possible risk should the worst happen.

Foxy

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS6,992GTS,GolfGTI
Country flag
I insure through Admiral and have a multicar policy.

They were very clear on requiring complete details on the specification of the car (factory options and not aftermarket (there isn't one but that's beside the point)).

Some of the options carry a hefty price such as the performance battery plus (£4K) which is an option on a 4S.

Perhaps eSure are doing a special promotion or premiums have tumbled.

I'm 60, live in a no crime area, full NCB, no penalty points, car is garaged etc and I think I've got a bargain at £550 (others have been quoted twice this rate from the same insurer).

Just trying to highlight a possible risk should the worst happen.
I appreciate that and have observed how much you contribute to this forum, as an early adopter your insight and experience is invaluable. Our profiles are similar, I’ll have a go with Admiral tomorrow and if there’s anything worth reporting back I will do so.

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo, Eletre R (on order)
Country flag
Spoke to Admiral this afternoon. I’ve been insured with them, with several cars for probably a decade or more. They confirmed the same - that all *factory fitted* options above the base build of the car don’t need to be specifically declared / listed out - as long as the total value of the car including factory fitted options is correctly declared.

They are apparently allowing the NCB on the existing car to be reflected on the policy, as an ‘introductory bonus’ - which is handy at 22 years NCB. The other earned NCB I had on previous second car had lapsed apparently as it was a few years since being last insured.

Speuk

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT 4S in Dolomite Silver
Country flag
Spoke to Admiral this afternoon. I’ve been insured with them, with several cars for probably a decade or more. They confirmed the same - that all *factory fitted* options above the base build of the car don’t need to be specifically declared / listed out - as long as the total value of the car including factory fitted options is correctly declared.

They are apparently allowing the NCB on the existing car to be reflected on the policy, as an ‘introductory bonus’ - which is handy at 22 years NCB. The other earned NCB I had on previous second car had lapsed apparently as it was a few years since being last insured.
Thanks for the feedback,very useful. I will give Admiral a try in mid November, I have got my X5 insured with them atm. I recall Martin Lewis doing some research plotting insurance quotes daily between one month before the policy start date and the omtimum time to get a quote was about 20 days before the start date. My 4S CT is due at Reading on 2nd December (fingers crossed) so I will look at quotes mid November. I got a quote from Aviva befoe I placed the order in June. That was £535 with protected NCD and full NCD sensible excess of about £650 from memory and both myself and wife as drivers. Likewise Aviva include all factory fitted options.

Last edited:

Abdul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Gentian Blue Taycan 4S...previously Ice Grey RWD
Country flag
Thanks for the feedback,very useful. I will give Admiral a try in mid November, I have got my X5 insured with them atm. I recall Martin Lewis doing some research plotting insurance quotes daily between one month before the policy start date and the omtimum time to get a quote was about 20 days before the start date. My 4S CT is due at Reading on 2nd December (fingers crossed) so I will look at quotes mid November. I got a quote from Aviva befoe I placed the order in June. That was £535 with protected NCD and full NCD sensible excess of about £650 from memory and both myself and wife as drivers. Likewise Aviva include all factory fitted options.
There's been thread on this before and the understanding can be different depending on the Adviser at the other end. I always repeat my understanding of the spec etc and it's recorded calls.
Admiral do seem to very competitive and we have all 4 family cars with them ...multi car definitely makes a difference. I'm 55, 'good' area and several years NCB ..£450. Strangely my quote was less expensive for the 4S than the RWd ?! ....and my wife's 3 year old X5 is £100 more than mine! Its a black art

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo, Eletre R (on order)
Country flag
Three weeks prior or should I lock it in before. What do you think? Premium I’ve been quoted is pretty good. Or the car could be delayed again. Hmmm

Speuk

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT 4S in Dolomite Silver
Country flag