Upgrading from MY 2020 4S to MY 2025 Turbo

Singularity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY 2020 Taycan 4S, MY 2022 Audi Q7 60 TFSIe
Country flag
Hello guys! I used to be active in the forum back in the day and now I'm making a bit of a comeback as I decided to order another Taycan.

I have a MY 2020 4S Gentian Blue (35 000 km driven) and now I decided to order a MY 2025 Turbo Carmine Red as a replacement. In this post I want to explain my reasoning a little bit and also reveal what changes I made to the configuration.

First of all, I consider the Taycan an absolutely great car and I have luckily not had any major issues with the car to date. So when I saw the extensive updates the 2025 model brings, I was immediately thinking about ordering one.

The range boost of 30-35% is a significant one and will make long trips easier. But very importantly for me, I was impressed by the increase in charging speed in cold weather. The cold weather charging speed has been boosted a full 100% which I'm very excited about. Living in Finland the most annoying thing about the car has been the slow charging speeds at temperatures of negative celsius. Over here it's significant for practical winter use that they have improved this. Long trips in the winter will be so much more convenient.

The powertrain boost doesn't hurt either although I don't think the 2020 4S is lacking in that department. It has definitely been fast enough. Why did I upgrade to a Turbo then? Well, the thing is that with the options I was thinking of choosing, the price difference between these two models isn't that big now. Combined with the fact that the models actually look more different now than they used to and I slightly prefer the look of the Turbo models. So I decided to upgrade from a fast car to a rocket ship.

I wanted to have a different looking car so I'm going with Carmine Red as the color. Interior Bordeaux Red. Red and black is the theme. Personally I didn't think there was any other interesting color to choose from if I don't go with another Gentian Blue (which is great).

In regards to options I want to highlight a few things:

• Still going with the default tires and definitely now since the default 20" wheels look really good. A lot better than the default 19" wheels the old one has.
  • Still going with the 14-way seats as they have been comfortable for me.
  • Upgraded to 4+1 seats to be able to fit the whole family into the car in case our other car is unusable for some reason.
  • Upgraded from Bose to Burmester. I think the Bose is a decent sound system but it is not high end. Our other car has a Bang & Olufsen system which is way better than the Bose.
  • Upgraded to thermal and noise insulated glass. Noise is one of the most annoying things about the car and if this helps even a little bit, it'll be worth it.
  • Upgraded to a heated steering wheel. I've gotten used to this with my other car.
  • Still going with the regular panoramic glass roof. It is great and there is no need to adjust it in Finland.
  • Still going with surround view cameras being the only extra driving assist feature. I'm a driver and like driving the car myself but seeing the surroundings better while parking is super convenient.
This is pretty much it. There were other changes but they were more superficial and more about the looks of the car.

I'm going to have one of the early production slots and the car should arrive during the summer. Really looking forward to it!
Sponsored

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
Welcone back, Singularity! I have a 2020 Taycan 4S too, but I have not made up my mind what to do with it. It only has about 14K miles on it, so I could probably enjoy it as is for several more years to come. On the other hand, replacing it by a new Macan EV is also an appealing prospect...

OP
OP

Singularity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Welcone back, Singularity! I have a 2020 Taycan 4S too, but I have not made up my mind what to do with it. It only has about 14K miles on it, so I could probably enjoy it as is for several more years to come. On the other hand, replacing it by a new Macan EV is also an appealing prospect...
Thanks! For me it was the electric 718 that I was actually waiting for and considering. Then the updated Taycan came out of the blue and I changed my mind.

Main reason for the decision was that I do occasionally need more than 2 seats so from a practical standpoint the Taycan is just superior.

There is an additional aspect at play here. I do want to sell the car before the main battery warranty goes out. And not doing it at the last minute probably helps with the resale/trade value. The new owner will still have warranty left.

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
Be interesting to see what part-ex the dealership will be willing to quote.

OP
OP

Singularity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Be interesting to see what part-ex the dealership will be willing to quote.
I have ordered already and I'm getting 72k€ for the 4S. If I understood your question correctly.

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
I have ordered already and I'm getting 72k€ for the 4S. If I understood your question correctly.
Cool. Are they locking that price in now? I assume you won’t be getting the new one for a while?
suspect dealers over here wouldn’t do that, just give an indication valuation of the car as of now.

OP
OP

Singularity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Cool. Are they locking that price in now? I assume you won’t be getting the new one for a while?
suspect dealers over here wouldn’t do that, just give an indication valuation of the car as of now.
In my experience it's usually locked in when ordering over here. That has at least been the case now and was also with my Audi order a few years back.

Might be different if the delivery was a long way off. To my surprise I'm getting the car really fast, estimate is June/July.

KLHubb

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S 2009 911S 2012 Cayenne
Country flag
Hello guys! I used to be active in the forum back in the day and now I'm making a bit of a comeback as I decided to order another Taycan.

I have a MY 2020 4S Gentian Blue (35 000 km driven) and now I decided to order a MY 2025 Turbo Carmine Red as a replacement. In this post I want to explain my reasoning a little bit and also reveal what changes I made to the configuration.

First of all, I consider the Taycan an absolutely great car and I have luckily not had any major issues with the car to date. So when I saw the extensive updates the 2025 model brings, I was immediately thinking about ordering one.

The range boost of 30-35% is a significant one and will make long trips easier. But very importantly for me, I was impressed by the increase in charging speed in cold weather. The cold weather charging speed has been boosted a full 100% which I'm very excited about. Living in Finland the most annoying thing about the car has been the slow charging speeds at temperatures of negative celsius. Over here it's significant for practical winter use that they have improved this. Long trips in the winter will be so much more convenient.

The powertrain boost doesn't hurt either although I don't think the 2020 4S is lacking in that department. It has definitely been fast enough. Why did I upgrade to a Turbo then? Well, the thing is that with the options I was thinking of choosing, the price difference between these two models isn't that big now. Combined with the fact that the models actually look more different now than they used to and I slightly prefer the look of the Turbo models. So I decided to upgrade from a fast car to a rocket ship.

I wanted to have a different looking car so I'm going with Carmine Red as the color. Interior Bordeaux Red. Red and black is the theme. Personally I didn't think there was any other interesting color to choose from if I don't go with another Gentian Blue (which is great).

• Still going with the default tires and definitely now since the default 20" wheels look really good. A lot better than the default 19" wheels the old one has.
  • Upgraded to 4+1 seats to be able to fit the whole family into the car in case our other car is unusable for some reason.
  • Upgraded from Bose to Burmester. I think the Bose is a decent sound system but it is not high end. Our other car has a Bang & Olufsen system which is way better than the Bose.
  • Upgraded to thermal and noise insulated glass. Noise is one of the most annoying things about the car and if this helps even a little bit, it'll be worth it.
  • Upgraded to a heated steering wheel. I've gotten used to this with my other car.
  • Still going with the regular panoramic glass roof. It is great and there is no need to adjust it in Finland.
  • Still going with surround view cameras being the only extra driving assist feature. I'm a driver and like driving the car myself but seeing the surroundings better while parking is super convenient.
This is pretty much it. There were other changes but they were more superficial and more about the looks of the car.

I'm going to have one of the early production slots and the car should arrive during the summer. Really looking forward to it!
I would think that you would include rear wheel steering....I love it.
And Burmester is a must-have.

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Macan GTS, 23 Taycan Turbo, 20 Cayenne Turbo,
Country flag
Great write up with rationale to move up to the higher trim and latest model. I wonder if you could share a US compatible build code to see what you selected to drool over. I am a MY23 Turbo owner of less than 1 year with 5.5k miles, and I can see how the charging in cold weather is such a major improvement for your use case. I am loving mine, look forward to every drive, and how this latest refresh compares to the original, so will be looking for your feedback when you get yours.

kmcdonal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan 350Z, Subaru WRX
Country flag

Thanks for the post. I too am going from a 2020 4S to a 2025 Turbo so your post was very interesting / helpful. In my case I sold my 2020 a while ago so I am just looking for a replacement. Excited about the additional range among other things.

Boss Hogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S, 981 GT4
Country flag
I'm in a similar situation, 2021 4S CT moving to ST Turbo. For me it was the performance, range, turbo differentiation, comfort, faster charging (and hopefully new heater) in that order. Been told car available July.

OP
OP

Singularity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I would think that you would include rear wheel steering....I love it.
After some researching and thinking about it, I decided to add rear-axle steering to my build. The build isn't locked yet so this was possible.

I'm excited to see how it changes the driving experience. I've never had a car with that feature. I will certainly report on it later on so we get one more opinion on the usefulness of that option.
Sponsored