Using a 3rd Party Home EV Charger Compromises Warranty? Updated response from PCNA

FlyingPoint

First Name
Cobblestone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, GT3
Country flag
This reminds me of parking in a NYC garage - Big sign "we are not responsible for items left in the car". Pure BS, they are responsible. Companies can write anything they want - does not mean they will prevail.
Sponsored

MBAZ

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i4, M5, Taycan GTS. 911 Cab
Country flag
So, based on what this says, going to an Electrify America station and using their non-Porsche EVSEs and having an issue while charging using your Porsche negotiated and offered free 30mins, would void your warranty???

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
So, based on what this says, going to an Electrify America station and using their non-Porsche EVSEs and having an issue while charging using your Porsche negotiated and offered free 30mins, would void your warranty???
Exactly. It's nonsense.

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
No. I don't think it means that.

Here's what it means: If you attach anything that has not been approved by Porsche (it doesn't necessarily need to be Porsche branded -- like the N0 tires manufactured by others are Porsche approved so they would be treated the same as Porsche tires for warranty purposes), and the thing you attached damages your Porsche, Porsche is not responsible for the damages caused by that thing (the implication is that you would have to go after the manufacturer of the thing that caused the damages to pay for the damages).

They are NOT saying that if you attach anything that is not approved by Porsche, your warranty is void. So, even if you, say, install an aftermarket stereo that is not approved by Porsche, you are covered for all damages to your Porsche except for damages that were directly caused by the stereo.

jkoya

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan CT4, 23 Mini Cooper SE on order
Country flag
Well, I just replaced my Tesla Wall Connector 2 with an Autel Maxicharge and Autel is advertising it works with Porsche. So, if any warranty claim was denied, I guess I would get Autel involved to settle the dispute with Porsche.

The Taycan is my 5th plug in vehicle and I have to admit other manufacturer's may have had similar verbiage that I just never paid attention to...

Porsche Taycan Using  a 3rd  Party Home  EV Charger Compromises Warranty? Updated response from PCNA Screen Shot 2022-11-10 at 6.36.15 AM

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Well, I just replaced my Tesla Wall Connector 2 with an Autel Maxicharge and Autel is advertising it works with Porsche. So, if any warranty claim was denied, I guess I would get Autel involved to settle the dispute with Porsche.

The Taycan is my 5th plug in vehicle and I have to admit other manufacturer's may have had similar verbiage that I just never paid attention to...

Screen Shot 2022-11-10 at 6.36.15 AM.png
OK, so this is NOT legal advice, so consult your own counsel, but I do not think that is accurate.

Any claims by third parties that their devices work with Porsche are irrelevant even if they are true.

The sole thing that matters is what Porsche says. So, if Porsche says that Autel is a Porsche-approved product (e.g., like Michelin N0 tires), then Porsche would cover damage to your car even if caused by Autel.

But Porsche has not said that, to my knowledge, so if the Autel causes damage to your Porsche (and Porsche finds out about it), Porsche could deny a warranty claim to repair the damage. In that case, you would have to go to Autel to ask for money to pay for the damage (so read the Autel warranty).

MBAZ

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i4, M5, Taycan GTS. 911 Cab
Country flag

Here's what it means: If you attach anything that has not been approved by Porsche (it doesn't necessarily need to be Porsche branded -- like the N0 tires manufactured by others are Porsche approved so they would be treated the same as Porsche tires for warranty purposes), and the thing you attached damages your Porsche, Porsche is not responsible for the damages caused by that thing (the implication is that you would have to go after the manufacturer of the thing that caused the damages to pay for the damages).

They are NOT saying that if you attach anything that is not approved by Porsche, your warranty is void. So, even if you, say, install an aftermarket stereo that is not approved by Porsche, you are covered for all damages to your Porsche except for damages that were directly caused by the stereo.
I really need to work on my sarcasm.... thanks TD, I was trying to make that point, appreciate you spelling it out. 100% Agree.

jkoya

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan CT4, 23 Mini Cooper SE on order
Country flag
But Porsche has not said that, to my knowledge, so if the Autel causes damage to your Porsche (and Porsche finds out about it), Porsche could deny a warranty claim to repair the damage. In that case, you would have to go to Autel to ask for money to pay for the damage (so read the Autel warranty).
That is why I said if a warranty claim was denied I would get Autel involved.

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I really need to work on my sarcasm.... thanks TD, I was trying to make that point, appreciate you spelling it out. 100% Agree.
Sorry, I'm a big fan of sarcasm myself. It just seems that people are pretty worked up about this and I'm trying to do my small part to put things into perspective!

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag

But they said/wrote: .... due to using 3rd party charger.... they didnt say "not approved 3rd party charger".

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That is why I said if a warranty claim was denied I would get Autel involved.
OK, I misread that as meaning that you would be having a threeway (conversation) between you, Porsche and Autel as opposed to just you and Autel working things out.

Contrary to popular belief, threeways are not always fun.

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
But they said/wrote: .... due to using 3rd party charger.... they didnt say "not approved 3rd party charger".
I think we all agree that the response could have been written more clearly. The implication is non-Porsche approved 3rd party charger. She quoted the warranty manual (and provided a link) and the warranty manual, which is the definitive legal document, refers to non-Porsche approved devices.

Reactions: B61
OP
OP

Scotty

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4s
Country flag
The letter says definitely that "the warranty would be compromised using a 3rd party charger" but then goes on to refer to the warranty specifying that damage will not be covered if it results from "unauthorized access to vehicle data or software from any source, including non-Porsche parts or accessories." Unless one has a charger that does that, I don't see how this language would apply. Maybe someone will correct me, but I don't believe my Clipper Creek charger interfaces with the car in any way aside from providing electricity.

In any event, there is an easy workaround if you bring the car in with a problem. "I always charge with my Porsche Mobile Connect". ;)
A porsche employee me told me the same thing- just say you were using the Mobile Charger. However, there is one problem saying this- If PCNA challenges you and forces you to go to arbitration, all testimony is under oath.

Reactions: B61

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
OK, so this is NOT legal advice, so consult your own counsel, but I do not think that is accurate.

Any claims by third parties that their devices work with Porsche are irrelevant even if they are true.

The sole thing that matters is what Porsche says. So, if Porsche says that Autel is a Porsche-approved product (e.g., like Michelin N0 tires), then Porsche would cover damage to your car even if caused by Autel.
Correct - Autel can make a claim, but Porsche is the grantor of "privileges" (warranty etc.) Autel's claim would need to be endorsed by Porsche to be included in those privileges.

Having said that, I've long wondered why we didn't have a thread on the newly-introduced Autel EVSEs. Someone else mentioned theirs, this is the second mention. I, for one, would _totally_ be in favor of hijacking this thread and turning it into a review of the Autel devices. Any takers/givers of opinion?

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, '19 e-Tron, '24 GMC 2500HD Duramax
Country flag
A porsche employee me told me the same thing- just say you were using the Mobile Charger. However, there is one problem saying this- If PCNA challenges you and forces you to go to arbitration, all testimony is under oath.
Well, my reply about claiming to always use the Porsche charging equipment was tongue in cheek ;) but, to be honest, I'm not too worried about this issue.
Sponsored