What happens if you run out of charge while on the road?

obxckw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Curious, have you ever run out of charge during a trip and if so, who did you call to help? I know AAA will tow you to the closest charging location but have any of you used a roadside assistance where they charge your vehicle?
Sponsored

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
Curious, have you ever run out of charge during a trip and if so, who did you call to help? I know AAA will tow you to the closest charging location but have any of you used a roadside assistance where they charge your vehicle?
while there may be a roadside charging service available, that type of service would be rare.
AAA or any other roadside service would tow you to the closest charger provided that it is a reasonable distance away.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
same thing as flat tire, road damage, mechanical failure, or any other lack of function with any vehicle - flat bed to nearest service point and resolve the issue…

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
same thing as flat tire, road damage, mechanical failure, or any other lack of function with any vehicle - flat bed to nearest service point and resolve the issue…
Looks like overkill and too expensive. If you have an ICE and run out of gas, a 5 gallon Jerry can which can be carried in the back of a service vehicle fixes the issue. AAA does this, brings the gas to you. Moving a 30 lb can is cheaper than moving a 5,000 lb. vehicle. An EV needs a similar solution, bring some charge to the car to get it to the nearest charger.

Best solution, I think. Probably a much hated small portable gas driven generator. As EV's take over the road, flat bedding to fix an out of charge problem sounds excessive.

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
If the car "runs out of charge", is the 12-volt battery still operable so the car can be shifted into neutral and loaded on a flat bed?

bah1590

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4
Country flag
The Porsche 24-Hour Roadside Assistance that comes with the car should be able to help you.

mdrobc1213

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M4, Taycan CT4, 992 Carrera,
Country flag
Sounds like a business proposal/proposition especially in a place like cal California with a high number of EVs on the road. 4-5 vans with these charge packs could do a lot.

jam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3, '22 Macan S, Taycan 4S CT ordered
Country flag
I think we’re going to start seeing more BEVs with vehicle-to-vehicle charging capabilities in the not too distant future, which will give us more options. Ford’s F-150 Hybrid already does this and the Lightning BEV will do the same. I think the Lucid Air will also do car-to-car. I’m sure there are others in the works.

mandoyoda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
I saw a Cherry Red Taycan 4S in North West London a couple weeks ago out of lightning, being put on flat bed to be taken to the nearest charge point.

Apparently the driver couldn’t find a charge point, and didn’t know how to use the PCM or their phone to find the nearest charge point.

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
Ah. I didn't realize that was a standard! Thanks!!
Don’t bank on this. I have just received my Porsche assist certificate and in the exclusions is flat high volt battery. So you are on your own from the Porsche assist point of view
Sponsored