First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Macan
Country flag
Hi,

I've just recently joined this forum - thanks for letting me in!

I'm in the market for a new EV, having enjoyed 3 years of trouble-free motoring with an iPace. I'm torn between a Taycan 4S and Audi e-tron GT. The Taycan is currently the preference.

I've been surprised at how many low mileage 1-2 year old cars are for sale - all thoughts greatly received about what model year to go for and why. I haven't seen any chat yet about spec changes likely in new cars.

I'm sure this has been discussed elsewhere in the forum so please point me in the right direction. I'll keep looking too.

Thanks in advance

ARJR
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
4S, GTS or Turbo - sedan or CT/ST depending on personal preference - those are sweet spots in the line up.

smartymarti

First Name
Marti
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4s cross turismo
Country flag
I have a cross turismo 4s if I didn’t want an estate it would be the Etron gt all day every day it beats the porsche in every test and the Audi dealers probably won’t expect you to kiss arse

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Hi,

I'm in the market for a new EV, having enjoyed 3 years of trouble-free motoring with an iPace. I'm torn between a Taycan 4S and Audi e-tron GT. The Taycan is currently the preference.

I've been surprised at how many low mileage 1-2 year old cars are for sale - all thoughts greatly received about what model year to go for and why. I haven't seen any chat yet about spec changes likely in new cars.

I'm sure this has been discussed elsewhere in the forum so please point me in the right direction. I'll keep looking too.

Thanks in advance

ARJR
If you are looking at 2nd hand then I would suggest no earlier than MY21 but most recent is preferred.

All MY cars received a major software update from last September which conveniently brought all MYs up to the current MY23 software spec. MY20 probably got the least benefit due to some hardware limitations but in essence all MYs are the same - no cosmetic changes or battery upgrades.

4S is a great entry point but check that you have the Performance Battery Plus (extra range). It has more power than you'll likely know what to do with and has All Wheel Drive.

If new then 4S is still desirable but budget permitting then anything above will be even more rewarding - don't go crazy with options however if this is a private purchase as you will lose more in depreciation.

Saloon or Sports Turismo or Cross Turismo? Either ST or CT is more practical for loading but saloon may look better to some. ST and CT are essentially the same thing with the CT offering more ride height and lots of plastic (if you like plastic) external appendages.

I don't see many E-tron GTs - 4 in 2 years and there is probably a good reason for that.

Both are cousins but the Porsche will be tuned different and handle generally better.

If badge conscious which if we're honest we all are then it has to be Porsche.

OP
OP
arjr

arjr

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Macan
Country flag
The right answer is: test drive both. Despite being on the same platform, they don’t drive the same. Then make your mind up from there.
Agreed - that's my intention

OP
OP
arjr

arjr

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Macan
Country flag
If you are looking at 2nd hand then I would suggest no earlier than MY21 but most recent is preferred.

All MY cars received a major software update from last September which conveniently brought all MYs up to the current MY23 software spec. MY20 probably got the least benefit due to some hardware limitations but in essence all MYs are the same - no cosmetic changes or battery upgrades.

4S is a great entry point but check that you have the Performance Battery Plus (extra range). It has more power than you'll likely know what to do with and has All Wheel Drive.

If new then 4S is still desirable but budget permitting then anything above will be even more rewarding - don't go crazy with options however if this is a private purchase as you will lose more in depreciation.

Saloon or Sports Turismo or Cross Turismo? Either ST or CT is more practical for loading but saloon may look better to some. ST and CT are essentially the same thing with the CT offering more ride height and lots of plastic (if you like plastic) external appendages.

I don't see many E-tron GTs - 4 in 2 years and there is probably a good reason for that.

Both are cousins but the Porsche will be tuned different and handle generally better.

If badge conscious which if we're honest we all are then it has to be Porsche.
Thanks for your reply - useful to know about the approach to software upgrades - wasn't the same with the iPace. I think I"m going to be outvoted on the Saloon v ST / CT. I like the practicality of the ST but the looks of the saloon are very likely to win the argument - will just have to leave the dog at home ;)

This will be a private purchase so, I'm likely to go for a newish 2nd hand one.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Thanks for your reply - useful to know about the approach to software upgrades - wasn't the same with the iPace. I think I"m going to be outvoted on the Saloon v ST / CT. I like the practicality of the ST but the looks of the saloon are very likely to win the argument - will just have to leave the dog at home ;)

This will be a private purchase so, I'm likely to go for a newish 2nd hand one.
I have a 4S saloon just now and expecting a GTS ST by March. I have no dog but prefer the extra practicality.

Plenty to choose from our there so good luck.

Jin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (MY24)
Country flag
I was the same as you. I actually really liked the e-tron GT. In the end it came down to the fact one is a Porsche and the other isn't.
even after test driving both this is what it ultimately came down to for me!

as the boy racer in the Audi showroom said. "spending ~£100k on an Audi and you think.. wow that's pricey, you wouldn't think that for a Porsche"

Wish Audi had been more adventurous with the interior.. felt like just another Audi

or1

First Name
O
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
If you think you will go for a saloon: do a full baggage space check. I've had the RS e-tron GT and it could not take two "standard" suitcases. That is one of the reasons why I switch to Taycan Sport Turismo.
The Audi may be better for long-distance relaxed driving. But for engaged driving and winding roads, there is no contest in my opinion.

kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo ST, Volvo XC90 T8
Country flag
even after test driving both this is what it ultimately came down to for me!

as the boy racer in the Audi showroom said. "spending ~£100k on an Audi and you think.. wow that's pricey, you wouldn't think that for a Porsche"

Wish Audi had been more adventurous with the interior.. felt like just another Audi
This is my take on it. The e-tron GT is a very nice car. But it feels like any other Audi and lacks the special vibe you get from the Taycan. However, Audi's are expensive, not cheap cars. So I don't think it's over-priced. It's just an expensive car because it's one of Audi's showpieces and Audi's are expensive

If you think you will go for a saloon: do a full baggage space check. I've had the RS e-tron GT and it could not take two "standard" suitcases. That is one of the reasons why I switch to Taycan Sport Turismo.
The Audi may be better for long-distance relaxed driving. But for engaged driving and winding roads, there is no contest in my opinion.
It's very personal preference, but I don't think the Taycan in comfort mode isn't relaxing to drive. It's just the Audi has a more laid back feel. The Porsche can cruise with the best of them, but turns into something much closer to a Sports car when you want it to

I've not noticed ANY- which may be due to them looking like other Audis from many angles.
I think so. Mind, the Taycan definitely looks like a Porsche. But then it has something extra and Porsche design is (imo), superior to Audi design

Test drive if you can, faff with the controls a lot. Check luggage space and check you like the ergonomics.

FYI: my experience with Porsche has been very positive. My local Audi dealer have been decent, but had no GT's and other limited availability. Audi Reading I've had one of the worst sales experiences with any dealer on any network and I will never deal with them again. What I'm saying is that it will vary by dealer/network and location

Last edited:

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
Hi,

Thanks in advance

ARJR
If you carry people and/or things often, go ST/CT. These are only available with Porsche. Otherwise, if going with a sedan, you could argue for either Porsche or Audi. I agree with others about considering slightly used….and biasing towards the one that fits your interior/exterior style and spec the most.
Sponsored