What model to chose?

RingoDingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
However, Audi's are expensive, not cheap cars. So I don't think it's over-priced. It's just an expensive car because it's one of Audi's showpieces and Audi's are expensive.
I'd pay a premium for an R8. Those cars look as special as they are. When they first came out, they were show stoppers, and could easily hang with any of the non-hypercar Porsches. I could see an e-tron GT RS on the street and, at quick glance, easily mistake it for an A6. For some that's fine, but not for me for R8 money. That's in part why I never considered the e-tron GT.
Sponsored

kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo ST, Volvo XC90 T8
Country flag
I'd pay a premium for an R8. Those cars look as special as they are. When they first came out, they were show stoppers, and could easily hang with any of the non-hypercar Porsches. I could see an e-tron GT RS on the street and, at quick glance, easily mistake it for an A6. For some that's fine, but not for me for R8 money. That's in part why I never considered the e-tron GT.
I agree to an extent in terms of the R8, albeit I think they've made the R8 less iconic in recent years as it's gathered creases and vents in line with the rest of the line. The thing that makes the R8 special is the engine, now. The old design was very timeless and still looks great.

I agree on the e-tron GT, but again I think that's partly a function of Audi's design language permeating their entire range and cheapening what makes a high end Audi. IMO of course

RingoDingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I agree to an extent in terms of the R8, albeit I think they've made the R8 less iconic in recent years as it's gathered creases and vents in line with the rest of the line. The thing that makes the R8 special is the engine, now. The old design was very timeless and still looks great.

I agree on the e-tron GT, but again I think that's partly a function of Audi's design language permeating their entire range and cheapening what makes a high end Audi. IMO of course
Agree on both points. The R8 looks less special now and the consistency across the platform makes it harder for anything to stand out.

Zeegoff

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, GTS ST on order
Country flag
even after test driving both this is what it ultimately came down to for me!

as the boy racer in the Audi showroom said. "spending ~£100k on an Audi and you think.. wow that's pricey, you wouldn't think that for a Porsche"

Wish Audi had been more adventurous with the interior.. felt like just another Audi
I felt exactly the same, subjectively the etron is a beautiful looking car, the interior is a nice place to be but no "nicer" than any mid range S-line with a few trimmings. Such a shame they didn't get a bit more creative with it.

Reactions: Jin

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS E-Tron GT, VW ID.4 Pro
Country flag
TL;DR
Coming from an I-Pace a Taycan will give you a more visceral experience. This would be the best choice

If you want a lot of options, you don't mind numb steering, softer suspension, .1sec slower, traditional interior (AC buttons vs screen) get the Audi

Previous I-Pace owner as well. I absolutely loved the car and IMO still one of the best EVs you can buy.
I wanted something much faster, sportier, less SUV.
Porsche Taycan What model to chose? 20200202_084605

I drove the Taycan Turbo and fell in love with it. Soul electrified was the best way to describe it.
The handling, steering feedback, breakneck speed did it for me. Of course its beautiful.
I then made the decision to pursue a Taycan Turbo.

I've driven just about every modern EV so I gave the E-Tron GT a shot. It's an Audi so it has no brand cache, it's a point A to B car.
The Quattro which is a 4s was really fast off on Launch Control, but not significantly more than the I-Pace when not in LC. I personally didn't see the value of paying so much more the E-Tron GT for my needs. I-Pace is value in the EV world at least when they were giving incentives.

As I started to spec out the Taycan Turbo l started to see the price increasing due to the options. What should be standard on such an expensive car isn't on a Porsche. I also wanted PTS with heavy options so the costs were astronomical.

I test drove the RS E-Tron GT. I didn't like it as much as the Taycan due to numb steering, more body roll because of a softer suspension, doesn't give you that instant kick because it's .1 slower.
When looking at the price difference ($30k and lease options) RS E-Tron GT made more sense to me. I like a lot of options and Audi gives you those as standard at much less cost.
E-Tron GT production is 1/4 of Taycan so they are rare in comparison, especially in Southern California where I am.

I ended up getting the RS E-Tron GT in an exclusive color (PTS)
For it's faults compared to the Taycan, it's still the same car underneath the skin

I love the car and I'm happy with my decision
Porsche Taycan What model to chose? IMG_20221105_101618_509

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
I have a cross turismo 4s if I didn’t want an estate it would be the Etron gt all day every day it beats the porsche in every test and the Audi dealers probably won’t expect you to kiss arse
I liked the styling of the E-Tron GT and had a test drive and found it to feel big and a bit ungainly to drive.
I was amazed the Taycan felt so much smaller and more nimble to drive despite being the same size and platform.

I preferred the interior ergonomics of the Audi but didn’t like it enough to consider buying one.
The Taycan i only looked at because it had an estate car body option and originally wanted just to look at the space inside, the dealer said they had a demo car and I could drive it. It was so much better than the E-Tron GT I was shocked.

I drove it on a Friday, thought about it for the weekend and ordered a CT 4S first thing Monday morning.

Obviously it is a matter of personal preference and I probably prefer the Audi styling and interior ergonomics - though I prefer the Porsche interior design if not ergonomics but in the end for me it was the driving and for that it was no contest.

Jonswright

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Range Rover, VW iD3
Country flag
I was the same as you. I actually really liked the e-tron GT. In the end it came down to the fact one is a Porsche and the other isn't.
Get the Porsche, more people will be jealous and more people will think you're a flash 'c**t. The Audi is just, ........ well an Audi.

or1

First Name
O
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
I have driven an RS e-tron GT for a year and some, and now I have a GTS ST. As far as both styling and practicality go, I prefer the Taycan.

I also think the Taycan is more enjoyable to drive. It is not as good at "soft" comfort, but is more planted and takes curves in a more active and engaging way. In steering feel there is no contest.

And I can turn off the artificial sound, which I do most of the time. I am not fond of listening to wheel bearings going bad - which is what the Audi sound reminds me of.

mcr21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
This is my take on it. The e-tron GT is a very nice car. But it feels like any other Audi and lacks the special vibe you get from the Taycan. However, Audi's are expensive, not cheap cars. So I don't think it's over-priced. It's just an expensive car because it's one of Audi's showpieces and Audi's are expensive

It's very personal preference, but I don't think the Taycan in comfort mode isn't relaxing to drive. It's just the Audi has a more laid back feel. The Porsche can cruise with the best of them, but turns into something much closer to a Sports car when you want it to

I think so. Mind, the Taycan definitely looks like a Porsche. But then it has something extra and Porsche design is (imo), superior to Audi design

Test drive if you can, faff with the controls a lot. Check luggage space and check you like the ergonomics.

FYI: my experience with Porsche has been very positive. My local Audi dealer have been decent, but had no GT's and other limited availability. Audi Reading I've had one of the worst sales experiences with any dealer on any network and I will never deal with them again. What I'm saying is that it will vary by dealer/network and location
I don't understand how many of these larger London area "official" dealerships can get away with offering such a poor customer experience. I will not touch Porsche West London or Mayfair for future purchases nor servicing.

SS64

First Name
Subodh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Merc E350d
Country flag
Hello

right. We went and saw the Audi etron GT and Taycan. Personally the looks outside and inside were much better for the Taycan. The drive we felt was also better for the Taycan. As I posted we went for the Porsche. Again personal preference I guess. To be frank we are blown by the Taycan in every aspect. We test drove many EV’s. Mustang Mach E. Tesla model 3 and Y. KIA EV 6. Hyundai ioniq 5. Merc EQE. I know they are not sports cars. But we thought we will try what we liked. We were not fussed about sports car or normal saloon or SUV. We already have a merc EQC SUV. Is a fabulous car - silent, super comfortable and refined, quiet, fast in a straight line and oh so smooth. Hypervolt home charger which is very good for the job and a simple yet informative app.
Can’t keep smiling and so eagerly looking forward to the Taycan RWD
Sponsored