Cowtownhusker

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan 4S CT, 2022 LR D110, 1989 LR D90
Country flag
Finally received my allocation for my 4S ct. I want the 21” ct wheels but fear damage. For context, commute 100 miles/day and have bent 2 panamera 21” wheels and bubbled 3 tires in 80,000 miles on Columbus, OH roads. These tires have a bit more sidewall than the taycan. I have read multiple posts but the waters remain muddy. Wanted to see if anyone has any added insight.

Also, definitely add RWS from what I have read? What is the discernible advantage?
Sponsored

proficient_mathematician

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Also, definitely add RWS from what I have read? What is the discernible advantage?
The advantage is a turning circle that’s smaller by about 2 ft (60 cm), so if that’s important to you and you have the funds go for it. I didn’t option it and am quite happy with how the car handles (w/ Power Steering Plus).

Can’t really comment on the 21” wheels as I have the 20s, but I’m glad to have a little extra side wall on the tyres on narrow parking garage ramps and such…

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
Finally received my allocation for my 4S ct. I want the 21” ct wheels but fear damage. For context, commute 100 miles/day and have bent 2 panamera 21” wheels and bubbled 3 tires in 80,000 miles on Columbus, OH roads. These tires have a bit more sidewall than the taycan. I have read multiple posts but the waters remain muddy. Wanted to see if anyone has any added insight.

I have a Pan with 21’s and am getting a Taycan with the same. For ride quality and potential damage, 20’s make a lot more sense but I have not ever seen Porsche 20’s that I love.
I live in the Northeast and take my chances.

As for RWS, (like with the other Taycan options) not critical but it adds to the enjoyment of driving. I ordered that one and all of the rest of the performance options because I appreciate what Porsche does with them.

the 21’s don’t make sense but you will love looking at your car with them. The Perf options are not needed but you will love driving your car even more with them. These kinds of options are Porsche’s sweet spot. Good luck!

JDNEPA

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
2 words - wheel insurance. Get the wheels you want. I have 21" and they're fine driving NE PA roads which arguably as bad or worse than OH or MI roads. Haven't damaged them yet but I did opt for wheel insurance so if it happens, I'm covered and have piece of mind. I had to get 20" winter wheels given the inclines where I live and amount of snow we get (I'd never get out of my driveway).

Reactions: B61

Boss Hogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S, 981 GT4
Country flag
No regrets having the 20" wheels, hit a huge pothole on Thursday night, was surprised the alloy survived it however the tyre did not fare so well.

I do a lot of mileage so the extra range is helpful too.

Porsche Taycan Wheel regrets? IMG_4101
Porsche Taycan Wheel regrets? IMG_4105

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
No regrets having the 20" wheels, hit a huge pothole on Thursday night, was surprised the alloy survived it however the tyre did not fare so well.

IMG_4101.jpeg
IMG_4105.jpeg
Ouch.
The 20’s do make so much sense though…

CarbonTax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
I love my 21" aero wheels and also live in the midwest. Even though I am not the extra insurance type of guy, I decided to get the dealer $2k wheel insurance policy for 5? years.
Nevertheless, if I had your commute I might consider some less precious hardware for 3-4 winter months. I'm always cringing near sewer covers, f'd up curbs not painted yellow/orange.

Jrkennedy37

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 Panamera ST, '21 Taycan CT4
Country flag
Consider replacement cost and availability of tires as well. Had a 20”tire with sidewall puncture on the Taycan and it cost under $300 to replace. Same issue with Panamera with 21” wheel and that was over $500.

Not sure what non-OEM tire options are available with 21” Taycan wheels but the Panamera size is extremely limited - unless I wanted mismatching front/rear summer tires or cup2s, I was forced to go through the dealer last week to replace 21” All Seasons.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
The advantage is a turning circle that’s smaller by about 2 ft (60 cm), so if that’s important to you and you have the funds go for it.
And this is the mistake people make when trying to assess RAS using paper statistics. It’s not about gross turning radius (which is largely determined by wheelbase). It’s about the way RAS swings the rear of the car and squares off 90 degree turns, which is awesome in tight parking lots. The ability to avoid hitting stuff, which has little to do with gross radius, and everything to do about how it achieves its radius.

Marcad80

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S
Country flag
Get the 21s, and the insurance for peace of mind. Just backed into a curb last week. Would have killed me if I hadn’t paid for the wheel insurance…..

Porsche Taycan Wheel regrets? 49419F10-78FE-4545-8F00-44CF2F9CF1CD

Cooler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW
Country flag
I have 21" and they eat a lot of range, the rears are 305 wide. Now in winter my range with 20" and 255 is almost the same as with summer tires.

I would prefer to have 20" (in summer also) as the range increases and I don't think they look too small.

RWS is great option, it makes 180 turns easy. In higher speeds it is hard to say if it has an effect.

If you have budget for it take, but I don't think it is must have option.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
I can't see any upside for the 21s other than looks.

But a good few downsides (cost, range, tyre choice, tyre cost, likelihood of damage etc).

So it depends whether you want the car more for the looks or practicality?
And as someone mentioned above, if it is the former, then wheel insurance makes sense.

Foxy

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS6,992GTS,GolfGTI
Country flag

IMG_4101.jpeg
IMG_4105.jpeg
Potholes are a nightmare, I would be inclined the have the wheel checked when you have the new tyre fitted, it may have warped under the impact.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
And this is the mistake people make when trying to assess RAS using paper statistics. It’s not about gross turning radius (which is largely determined by wheelbase). It’s about the way RAS swings the rear of the car and squares off 90 degree turns, which is awesome in tight parking lots. The ability to avoid hitting stuff, which has little to do with gross radius, and everything to do about how it achieves its radius.
This is my reason to like it. The entrance to my house is quite tight and having the rear swing round when I turn in will make a vastly bigger difference than whatever the turning circle is.
It is better for both tight corners and high speed stability too.
It was a no brainer for me but I am really into vehicle dynamics ;)
Sponsored