First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Let me simplify my statement:
Does or doesn't a Taycan have a connection to the internet?
If yes: there you go, all I'm saying.
If no: how does the car know your Porsche-ID?
And where is you Porsche-ID stored?
Well, there you go, my point.

My other (still unanswered) question:
How come my WiFi hotspot and my bluetooth connection point have the same name? (see my previous post).
You stated that the Car has Wi-Fi Connection for all the Porsche updates etc!

Does it really?
please show that!
and perhaps with some technical evidence as well!

All the cars communication via the internet is via cellular network like LTE, 4G or 3G.
I do not think even in Netherlands you have mobile WiFi!
Sponsored

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I thought the wifi hotspot in the car was not available in NA. So in europe etc they can get updates via a wifi connection ?
The US cars have the WiFi hotspot as I understand it, but it is a dead end in the US.
You can subscribe to a Data Package from Porsche Connect in some countries in Europe. It is shown in MyPorsche services in the car once you log in! It is very expensive and limited to 7 GB for me here. So the phones connection does the same hotspot function if needed for a tablet etc.

And NO we do not get any updates through that data package. The updates that come for maps etc now is via the cellular network and the cars e-sim!

And the WiFi will still not connect to your home WiFi or any other public WiFi provider at Starbucks or MacDonalds etc.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
You stated that the Car has Wi-Fi Connection for all the Porsche updates etc!

Does it really?
please show that!
and perhaps with some technical evidence as well!

All the cars communication via the internet is via cellular network like LTE, 4G or 3G.
I do not think even in Netherlands you have mobile WiFi!
I now can see where the misunderstanding is coming from.
Yeeee! :)
I should have written "The car has connection to the internet" instead of "The WiFi has connection to the internet".
The emphasis is on "internet connection" and not on "WiFi" or "car".
I'm sorry for the misunderstanding.
I totally see what you mean now.
The WiFi is connected to the internet by the LTE though (which I also have stated previously), but it's not accessible for us (unless you buy a data package, right?).
Still, the car is using its LTE connection too for updates, status, app etc.
We are saying the exact same thing. :)

Last edited:

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
WiFi is the connection to the internet (through the LTE) but isn't enabled yet as far as I know.
Only the car itself has access to internet so far.
Welcome aboard! :clap:

ejcintr

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan 4s, F150
Country flag
The US cars have the WiFi hotspot as I understand it, but it is a dead end in the US.
You can subscribe to a Data Package from Porsche Connect in some countries in Europe. It is shown in MyPorsche services in the car once you log in! It is very expensive and limited to 7 GB for me here. So the phones connection does the same hotspot function if needed for a tablet etc.

And NO we do not get any updates through that data package. The updates that come for maps etc now is via the cellular network and the cars e-sim!

And the WiFi will still not connect to your home WiFi or any other public WiFi provider at Starbucks or MacDonalds etc.
Thanks - this is my understanding as well...

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Be aware of the update button in your Porsche-ID.
Standard it's off (it may be the reason you haven't received any updates yet).
Just a heads up.

2021-01-13_08.18.50.jpg
Thanks! I found this setting and yes it was disabled for me too.

Porsche Taycan Where's the WiFi Menu? 20210113_082124

Porsche Taycan Where's the WiFi Menu? 20210113_082138

Last edited:
Reactions: Dee

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Has anyone actually received any OTA software/firmware updates from Porsche?

It was my understanding that none have been released (other than nav/map updates) and we have to take the car to a Porsche Dealer to get them....

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just checked, mine was turned "ON".

If memory serves, I think I did that a while back to enable software features to be remotely enabled/disabled/purchased via the portal.

Has anybody actually received an OTA software/firmware update? How do you know this? Did the car notify you of the update (perhaps for approval)?

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Just checked, mine was turned "ON".

If memory serves, I think I did that a while back to enable software features to be remotely enabled/disabled/purchased via the portal.

Has anybody actually received an OTA software/firmware update? How do you know this? Did the car notify you of the update (perhaps for approval)?
I was receiving map updates even when this setting was off for me. I have not received any other OTA updates before or after enabling this. The car says it is up to date. I checked all sw versions in my car and they are the same as they were the first day.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I think map updates and vehicle / firmware updates are separate. Map updates will come regardless of this setting. I have seen at least one notification of a map update that was applied (did not ask for consent - just advised me the update was installed). Vehicle / firmware updates are controlled by this setting. I know I have received at least one OTA update* since April, due to a PCM menu change (don't recall what exactly but it was mostly insignificant), but I did NOT receive a notification that there was an update ready to install - it was installed without my consent or knowledge. I'm mostly fine with this, and I guess you could consider deactivating that setting on the website as withdrawal of consent for updates.

*Now all that said, it's also quite possible I received the update during one of three visits to the dealer between October and December to restore lost PCM connectivity...

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think map updates and vehicle / firmware updates are separate. Map updates will come regardless of this setting. I have seen at least one notification of a map update that was applied (did not ask for consent - just advised me the update was installed). Vehicle / firmware updates are controlled by this setting. I know I have received at least one OTA update* since April, due to a PCM menu change (don't recall what exactly but it was mostly insignificant), but I did NOT receive a notification that there was an update ready to install - it was installed without my consent or knowledge. I'm mostly fine with this, and I guess you could consider deactivating that setting on the website as withdrawal of consent for updates.

*Now all that said, it's also quite possible I received the update during one of three visits to the dealer between October and December to restore lost PCM connectivity...
Personally, I don't have a problem with OTA updates being "installed" without my consent.

However, you don't want to be climbing into the car (and trying to drive it) as this is happening (as you can't). Telsa not only asks us if its OK to install the update "now", but also provides the estimated "downtime" for the process and asks if we would like to postpone it until a more convenient time (0100 being the default I believe). These options are made available both via the Smartphone App and inside the car itself. Most updates estimate the downtime to be an hour or less.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Personally, I don't have a problem with OTA updates being "installed" without my consent.

However, you don't want to be climbing into the car (and trying to drive it) as this is happening (as you can't). Telsa not only asks us if its OK to install the update "now", but also provides the estimated "downtime" for the process and asks if we would like to postpone it until a more convenient time (0100 being the default I believe). These options are made available both via the Smartphone App and inside the car itself. Most updates estimate the downtime to be an hour or less.
Agreed the way Tesla does it is good. I haven't seen a definite Porsche OTA update yet so maybe that's how it will work (update is available - schedule time to install)...

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
Has anyone actually received any OTA software/firmware updates from Porsche?

It was my understanding that none have been released (other than nav/map updates) and we have to take the car to a Porsche Dealer to get them....
Only navigation map updates, as far as I can tell.
Sponsored