Which model to get?

darth_maul_80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4 , Taycan GTS
Country flag
Hi everyone,

Been on the forum for a few days and lots of information you have all posted. I’ve learnt so much and already changed my configuration ahead of my test drive in a few days time.

Question I have is should I go CT 4s, turbo or turbo s?

One of my clients said his local dealership said the 4s is the sweet spot. I’ve been looking at all three similarly spec’d up. I’ve managed to persuade the finance minister that we can go all the way to turbo s but is it a nice to have?

Another thing I read here somewhere on here difference between turbo and turbo s is only extra Hp in launch mode. Is that also correct

Your thoughts are most welcome
Sponsored

scav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo (2022)
Country flag
I picked the 4S. I won't run it on a track (and if I do, I will be surprised and probably have enough power to play with). I guess it boils down to what you will use it for, in my case I will have kids in the back and use it for what ever I am currently using my Volvo for (skiing, hauling stuff, vacations etc).

If I wanted 0-100 in 2.8, I could have gotten a Tesla, and this is probably by far my biggest reason for not wanting to shell out that much money for acceleration. It simply isn't why I ordered a Porsche in the first place.

Swissbob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo
Country flag
Similar discussion here: https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/any-rwd-owners-regret-not-going-to-4s.6422/

If you’re a speed junkie and can afford it why not get the Turbo S! But you’re paying a lot of money for a level of performance you can probably rarely fully take advantage of so I’d say nice to have is being generous. Even the base is a hell of a car! Do you have the opportunity to test drive? The non-CT Taycan will give more or less the equivalent driving experience if there are no CT’s available. Or maybe there’s someone on here that lives near you?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Hi everyone,

Been on the forum for a few days and lots of information you have all posted. I’ve learnt so much and already changed my configuration ahead of my test drive in a few days time.

Question I have is should I go CT 4s, turbo or turbo s?

One of my clients said his local dealership said the 4s is the sweet spot. I’ve been looking at all three similarly spec’d up. I’ve managed to persuade the finance minister that we can go all the way to turbo s but is it a nice to have?

Another thing I read here somewhere on here difference between turbo and turbo s is only extra Hp in launch mode. Is that also correct

Your thoughts are most welcome
If this is your first performance Porsche then 4S is more than enough - normally best resale too.

Turbo has several options as standard in addition to extra HP.

Turbo S same as above and yet more power.

Try all models if you can and then decide.

Performance battery plus, rear axle steering, Sports Chrono and possibly PTV+ are the key options but be careful not to over spec a base model with performance features which make no sense.

4S is the thinking man's choice ?

Swissbob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo
Country flag
Similar discussion here: https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/any-rwd-owners-regret-not-going-to-4s.6422/

If you’re a speed junkie and can afford it why not get the Turbo S! But you’re paying a lot of money for a level of performance you can probably rarely fully take advantage of so I’d say nice to have is being generous. Even the base is a hell of a car! Do you have the opportunity to test drive? The non-CT Taycan will give more or less the equivalent driving experience if there are no CT’s available. Or maybe there’s someone on here that lives near you?
Saying that, and despite the fact that you hail from my home town London, I might be a bit intimidated offering to take “Darth_Maul” for a test drive ?

Swissbob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo
Country flag
Performance battery plus, rear axle steering, Sports Chrono and possibly PTV+ are the key options but be careful not to over spec a base model with performance features which make no sense.

4S is the thinking man's choice ?
What is the value of the Sports chrono? Maybe I didn’t understand this option properly…

It seemed to be:
1) a clock on the dashboard - why?
2) a twisting button to change modes - but there is already a “Sport” mode button on the touchscreen and if you want range/gravel or sport plus (rare for me) it’s 2 clicks on the display

What am I missing?

Swissbob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo
Country flag
If this is your first performance Porsche then 4S is more than enough - normally best resale too.
In CH it is 20k more for the CT4S over the 4. Can’t see how you’d get that back in resale in 3 years. That would mean on a 120k CT4 vs a 140k CT4S you’d be expecting more than 80K (57%) for the 4S if the 4 went for 60K (50%). And you’d lose more on Turbo and Turbo S models.

Swissbob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo
Country flag
In CH it is 20k more for the CT4S over the 4. Can’t see how you’d get that back in resale in 3 years. That would mean on a 120k CT4 vs a 140k CT4S you’d be expecting more than 80K (57%) for the 4S if the 4 went for 60K (50%). And you’d lose more on Turbo and Turbo S models.
Ouch I take that back… the premium for the 4S in the UK is about half the amount in CH… the pricing difference works out to be about £10k for the 4, £20k for the 4S, £30K for the Turbo and £40k for the Turbo S!!!

Porsche Taycan Which model to get? D924CEC7-CFCB-4B22-9FD3-CDB9B439EEB4

Porsche Taycan Which model to get? FAB4634A-D2EA-4AE4-BB63-EF28F46935FA

Swissbob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo
Country flag
And interestingly Tesla is completely opposite - the Plaid is £10k cheaper in Switzerland!!!

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
I live in a relatively quiet countryside location.
I ordered a 4S because I don't do either track days at all or flat out straight line acceleration very often and the performance increment for the turbo was negligible in real worl use for me but the difference in price is huge.
I did spec one, thinking maybe the difference in price was mainly that most f the options I wanted would be standard on the Turbo, but no...
The 4S was quick enough for my use so neither the Turbo nor the Turbo S made any sense to me at all.
OTOH if I was keen on track days they may have been but even then the cost increment is huge.

Rickpoisson

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.porsche-code.com
Vehicles
VW e-Up!, Taycan Turbo CT MY22 - delivered
Country flag
If you are leasing, or doing salary sacrifice, the options are often payed for over the term of the finance (2-4years). Therefore, as you load up options on a 4S you start to get into Turbo monthly costs due to the base of the Turbo having more 'included'. For this reason I specced the Turbo with less options even though the P11D price was higher it was about the same monthly cost!

However, our company got acquired, so setting up a salary sacrifice scheme got too complex with the new entity and moving the order across etc. so now I'm gonna just buy the Turbo I ended up speccing outright :blush:

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
If you are leasing, or doing salary sacrifice, the options are often payed for over the term of the finance (2-4years). Therefore, as you load up options on a 4S you start to get into Turbo monthly costs due to the base of the Turbo having more 'included'. For this reason I specced the Turbo with less options even though the P11D price was higher it was about the same monthly cost!

However, our company got acquired, so setting up a salary sacrifice scheme got too complex with the new entity and moving the order across etc. so now I'm gonna just buy the Turbo I ended up speccing outright :blush:
Interesting.
Very few of the things I wanted were standard on the Turbo, unlike my experience with Mercedes in the past, so the options cost wasn't much reduced, for me, going Turbo.
It was over £20k dearer for a, IME, negligible real world on road performance increase

Beardo

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BluTack 4S CT
Country flag
The turbo has the following standard in the UK IIRC, might of missed the odd option but these are the main ones. Majority of them I'd want but that still leaves £20k difference for the power.

Metallic (£774)
Turbo Wheels (£1776)
Leather (£2538)
14 way seats (£1170)
Matrix LED headlights (£1221)
Sports Chrono (£788)
PSCB Brakes (£2105)
Bose (£956)

Thats £11K ish.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
What is the value of the Sports chrono? Maybe I didn’t understand this option properly…

It seemed to be:
1) a clock on the dashboard - why?
2) a twisting button to change modes - but there is already a “Sport” mode button on the touchscreen and if you want range/gravel or sport plus (rare for me) it’s 2 clicks on the display

What am I missing?
Individual mode (personalised settings), Sport Plus mode (not same as Sport and not just PSM), GT Sport Steering Wheel + option between a Chrono Clock or Compass. So more for your money than you might think, but equally more than you might need / use. You'd expect it to be standard on the Turbo but it isn't and you have to go Turbo S before Porsche see it as an 'essential' item.

It's a traditional Porsche 'performance' option where people seen it as a 'must have'. I didn't spec it on my Taycan as I don't like the look of the 'growth' on the dash. I have it on my Boxster S but is integrated into the dash and sits flush.

Absolutely not a 'must have'.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I live in a relatively quiet countryside location.
I ordered a 4S because I don't do either track days at all or flat out straight line acceleration very often and the performance increment for the turbo was negligible in real worl use for me but the difference in price is huge.
I did spec one, thinking maybe the difference in price was mainly that most f the options I wanted would be standard on the Turbo, but no...
The 4S was quick enough for my use so neither the Turbo nor the Turbo S made any sense to me at all.
OTOH if I was keen on track days they may have been but even then the cost increment is huge.
Wise decision.

Overall there is around a £10K difference when you bring the standard spec of the 4S up to that of the base spec of the Turbo. You then have to decide if its worth it for more oomph that you would likely rarely if ever use.
Sponsored