Which options improve range?

MARTY7

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3P. Fiat 595 Abarth, Audi S8 (Stage 2), DeLorean (Stage 3), Cayenne V8
Country flag
If range is very important to you, I don't think what you leave off will be that big of a help. If in doubt, wait for a longer range model. Porsche builds sports cars and range is second. I don't think you will see 400 plus range from Porsche for a long time. If it matters, move to another model or see what the Macan Electric offers in 2022.
Agreed. I have owned Tesla's and frankly, I don't think they make 400-mile cars either. I don't really see anyone can, it's down to the pure maths of EV cars - yes tyres and drag all make differences but put a 19" Tesla 100D (400 stated range) here in a UK winter on a motorway at 70/80mph and you are not going to see more than 250 miles (more like 200 at those speeds in winter) and the same goes for a Taycan - they are very similar in real-world range.

I was all about the range when I started in the world of EV but realistically I can't drive for more than 200 miles without needing to pull over (trust me 200 miles in the UK feels like 400 in the states ?) for a break and if I do need to do 300 miles, then a quick pitstop takes minutes for a 100 mile top-up (7mins on a 250KW charger). I guess other climates are far more forgiving.
Sponsored

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Agreed. I have owned Tesla's and frankly, I don't think they make 400-mile cars either. I don't really see anyone can, it's down to the pure maths of EV cars
Yes! The key is the battery, the rest is all very similar in terms of efficiency. Interesting is, that VW apparently did not decided to do cell production of the current liquid batteries, but want to wait for solid state batteries. Apparently, they have a working candidate, which they expect to get into production around 2025. Toyota seems to be on the same trajectory.

I was all about the range when I started in the world of EV but realistically I can't drive for more than 200 miles without needing to pull over...
Same here - either buy coffee, or release it! :)

4SJB

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4SCT Mini Cooper S Audi A4 3.0 TDI
Country flag
Tiekhan
Sorry a bit late to this thread, but no option will make as much difference as your driving style and the external temperature.
Your best option is a light right foot. Second is to move close to the equator.

IMHO if you are that worried about range, I would look at an alternative EV. That is really not the force behind the Taycan!

cars97

First Name
nonexist
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
a car
Country flag
AC in eco mode also gives significant range difference (in the website).

Pozuelo

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2018 E63S Estate, 2023 A45S
Country flag
The one that increases the range the most is the much-criticized by fellow Porsche enthusiasts: the magic lightfoot on the accelerator and anticipation of traffic and road conditions ahead…:)

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Thermal and noise insulated glass might be another option to consider for the same reasons.

Make sure to get the 150kW/400V charger. Many of the chargers on the road are 400V, so this will improve charging times for those chargers.
Keep in mind thermally insulated glass is standard - noise insulating is extra cost. Agreed about 150kw charger.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
You've waited 3 years thus far - wait a couple more for the battery tech to change and it will be a whole new world of decisions to be made!

Range (as you'll no doubt realise) is a movable feast - we've all experienced it no matter what options we have or style of driving we adopt. I've seen my range rise from a paltry 220 (day 1) to 250 (8 months on). The only thing that's constant here is change.

Purchase the car for what it is and represents, you won't be disappointed.

MeMyselfAndI

First Name
Pieter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan (MY 21)
Country flag
And what about the Electric Charging Cover? With it, the air intakes behind the front wheels are 'closed', whereas when you don't have the ECC, the intakes are open.
I'd assume this has a negative effect on the aerodynamics and thus a negative effect on the range?

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
And what about the Electric Charging Cover? With it, the air intakes behind the front wheels are 'closed', whereas when you don't have the ECC, the intakes are open.
I'd assume this has a negative effect on the aerodynamics and thus a negative effect on the range?
Yes. the CD goes from .22 with fenders open to .26 with fenders closed. Does that equate to tons of extra range? No - but it helps with drag.

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
The electric charge cover has a negative effect on range but likely only a very modest one (1-2%). If you like the gimmick, go for it. If you are afraid of it breaking down, don’t go for it. Range is probably a secondary consideration in this case.
Sponsored