Why Are The Drive/Suspension Modes So Complex?

MissionE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Turbo
Country flag
Porsche Taycan Why Are The Drive/Suspension Modes So Complex? 85A8D2A2-E7F4-4512-AB81-573A6498DECB

I don’t understand why there are three different ways to accomplish the same thing. You have a dial that sets the drive mode for the motors, but you have to manually adjust the suspension/height separately.

It seems there should just be one selector to accomplish this; you put the car in sport and the attitude of the car changes, including the suspension lowering, etc.
Sponsored

Trogdors_Peasant

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4s, 2022 AMG SL63
Country flag
That's exactly what the sport chrono dial does, adjust all those parameters at once for range, sport, sport+ and individual modes.

Porsche Taycan Why Are The Drive/Suspension Modes So Complex? 1712869183043-47

OP
OP
MissionE

MissionE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Turbo
Country flag
Yes, you set it once manually; and then each time you change the mode it applies.
You set it once manually for individual mode? Otherwise why do you have options on the cluster to adjust them individually? I can be in sport mode and then reach up and set the height to “hi“, or be in sport mode and adjust the suspension to normal.

And why are there even controls on the cluster if you can just do it through PCM, or vice versa?

Again, complex.

Trogdors_Peasant

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4s, 2022 AMG SL63
Country flag
lol, if you think that's complex you should see AMG's system for management of the parameters using their steering wheel controls and how you can configure them however you want

OP
OP
MissionE

MissionE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Turbo
Country flag
lol, if you think that's complex you should see AMG's system for management of the parameters using their steering wheel controls and how you can configure them however you want
As the owner of a 24 AMG GT, I concur ;)

Singularity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY 2020 Taycan 4S, MY 2022 Audi Q7 60 TFSIe
Country flag
The height button in the dash has nothing to do with the drive modes. It's the button you push when you want max height, which can be useful if you're going over tall speed bumps etc. Also if you push that, it will ask if you want to save that location for the future, and it will put max height automatically always when you drive in that location. It works in low speeds only though and will be disabled automatically if you go too fast.

As the car has a pretty good clearance in normal mode, I rarely use that button then, but if driving in sport+ or range mode, the car doesn't have a great clearance and that button is very useful in certain situations.

As for the other button which is related to the suspension, I have actually not even once used it in my 4 years of driving the car yet. I guess it is a quick way to change the suspension setting if one wants to.

I don't think it's complex at all. There are some annoying things such as the car always starting up in "normal" mode. The individual mode would be more useful if it could be set as default (imo). And simply allowing any mode to be set as default.

It does remember the max height setting though. If you park with that on, it will stay on.

Last edited:

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
You set it once manually for individual mode? Otherwise why do you have options on the cluster to adjust them individually? I can be in sport mode and then reach up and set the height to “hi“, or be in sport mode and adjust the suspension to normal.

And why are there even controls on the cluster if you can just do it through PCM, or vice versa?

Again, complex.
Porsche Taycan Why Are The Drive/Suspension Modes So Complex? IMG_1425

mystermykee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 IGM
Country flag
I sometimes forgo the drive mode knob and use the chassis "button" on the dash. There will be some instances where I'd like to tighten up the suspension without needing/wanting the car to adjust other things into sport i.e pedal responsiveness, sport sound, or kicking the car back into first gear (speed permitting).

If you want to be even more technical, the chassis button on the dash isn't really a lowering button. So, all those things you circled do different things lol.

Last edited:

Tighlines

First Name
Klint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 panamera turbo, 2023 taycan CT 4S
Country flag
I have to agree.
My preferred mode is sport, low chassis, no regen, no sound. So I set that in the individual mode but every time I begin the drive I have to run through sport and sport+ mode on the chrono dial. Very annoying cuz the regen kicks on in sport mode (then off), then the sound kicks on in sport + mode (then off).
Hopefully someone smarter than me will tell me I'm doing it wrong...

OP
OP
MissionE

MissionE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Turbo
Country flag
I have to agree.
My preferred mode is sport, low chassis, no regen, no sound. So I set that in the individual mode but every time I begin the drive I have to run through sport and sport+ mode on the chrono dial. Very annoying cuz the regen kicks on in sport mode (then off), then the sound kicks on in sport + mode (then off).
Hopefully someone smarter than me will tell me I'm doing it wrong...
Or hopefully the UX designers are reading this

OP
OP
MissionE

MissionE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Turbo
Country flag
I sometimes forgo the drive mode knob and use the chassis "button" on the dash. There will be some instances where I'd like to tighten up the suspension without needing/wanting the car to adjust other things into sport i.e pedal responsiveness, sport sound, or kicking the car back into first gear (speed permitting).

If you want to be even more technical, the chassis button on the dash isn't really a lowering button. So, all those things you circled do different things lol.
If we’re being honest, the car doesn’t even really need any additional sport settings. It’ll smoke almost anything else on the street in normal mode anyway. People just have to have something to switch on and off to feel special I guess.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
If we’re being honest, the car doesn’t even really need any additional sport settings. It’ll smoke almost anything else on the street in normal mode anyway. People just have to have something to switch on and off to feel special I guess.
IMO adjusting it away from one of the Porsche developed settings sort of defeats the object of buying a Porsche.
I have found normal to be excellent for normal use, Sport fine for a sporty feel and only used sport + once, at the Anglesey circuit, and never had time or inclination to try to "optimise" the settings using the individual mode.
I am not Michael Schumacher.
;)

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
85A8D2A2-E7F4-4512-AB81-573A6498DECB.jpeg

I don’t understand why there are three different ways to accomplish the same thing. You have a dial that sets the drive mode for the motors, but you have to manually adjust the suspension/height separately.

It seems there should just be one selector to accomplish this; you put the car in sport and the attitude of the car changes, including the suspension lowering, etc.
Far from complex IMHO and your understanding of the functions isn't yet tuned in.

No different to other Pordches for a good number of years to be honest.

PASM adjustment on the dash enables quick adjustment in any drive mode if you don't fancy the default setting for a given drive mode but prefer one of the others.

Location of the buttons is certainly open for debate.