Why go for the Performance Battery Plus?

Raphie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s (21)
Country flag
5k disposable income is well spend on a fun car.
if you stretching yourself into a lease you basically couldn’t afford in the first place P+ tips you over the edge of what the lease company is allowing you to loan. Then the choice is simple RWD std battery or no Taycan.
Sponsored

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
5k disposable income is well spend on a fun car.
if you stretching yourself into a lease you basically couldn’t afford in the first place P+ tips you over the edge of what the lease company is allowing you to loan. Then the choice is simple RWD std battery or no Taycan.
I do think as well as colour everybody is very different view on things they think is worth spending their money on, from super enthusiasts really stretching themselves to just afford a dream car to multi millionaires mainly using an old Prius despite having a Supercar in their garage.

We all have a different idea of value for money and I actually find the range of Porsche option prices borderline offensive for what they are and have prior to the Taycan not felt any of the Porsches I had driven were worth the money they wanted me to pay for them.

Free choice is good!

Raphie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s (21)
Country flag
Absolutely, but’s just like with RWD, 4s, GTS, Turbo, Turbo-s one really doesn’t nééd one above the other, they all bring you from A to B and look nearly identical. This is a a premium market, you don’t buy because you need, but you buy because you want. And you’re right, if you don’t want it you leave it. And if it’s above budget regardless, there is nothing to choose.

gusone

First Name
gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW Series 3 XDRIVE M SPORT
Country flag
I realise this might set people off but serious questions...

If range is not important (I only need a range of 150 miles) and re-sales value is not important (its on a lease deal) why would I pay almost £5k for the Performance Battery Plus especially when the performance numbers are very similar to the smaller standard battery?

Surely to lower weight will help with efficiency / handling as reported for the RWD version.

Keen to know thoughts /practical experiences?

TIA
No home charger. An extra 35 miles is useful.

Donlam

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi e-Tron, Porsche Taycan rwd 23
Country flag
Bear in mind that the extra battery capacity is not just for the wheels to spin more, also for A/C cabin climate that's really important in winter or hot summer.

exav8tor

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 330e
Country flag
I realise this might set people off but serious questions...

If range is not important (I only need a range of 150 miles) and re-sales value is not important (its on a lease deal) why would I pay almost £5k for the Performance Battery Plus especially when the performance numbers are very similar to the smaller standard battery?

Surely to lower weight will help with efficiency / handling as reported for the RWD version.

Keen to know thoughts /practical experiences?

TIA
From my point of view having PB+ has saved me a few times and certainly helps reduce the range anxiety on longer trips. I think having just the standard PB battery could be fine but it is the unexpected times where it helps, from unexpected trips/diversions to unexpected failures of the over night charge.

One unexpected diversion in Wales and a none working charger would have seen me stranded without that extra few miles. Also with unexpected charge failures over night it has mean't I haven't had to call in at a fast charger en-route to client meetings, charging on the way back instead.

Leasing probably does raise another question over that of ownership, where you might not be as concerned about longer term battery health. Do you keep it charged to a higher % say 95-100 rather than the recommend 80-85%, as this then gives a very similar normal daily range based upon over night charge, and would this indeed help.

As for charge speeds, I myself rarely get to use the fast 350kw chargers and so the difference between PB & PB+ would not make any difference. Not sure about noticing difference in performance as I've not driven a PB car.

It is all based upon personal circumstances as to whether the standard PB works for you but do consider the unexpected.

I am just in the process of finalising the spec on my next 4S and am going with PB+ again.

Hope this helps.

exav8tor

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 330e
Country flag
One other thought, albeit minor, is that the cost of charging might also be a consideration for some in determination of benefits of PB+. Charging over night costs me 7.5p on Octopus Go, whereas charging away has seen me pay up to £0.76 KWh. So you can get an extra ~10Kw at home rather than away. If you get free charging at the office potentially even better.

Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag
One thing to consider is that it is that PB+ is a relative bargain in the crazy world of Porsche pricing. £4,000 is cheaper or the same as the difference between the smaller and larger batteries in a lot of other cheaper cars.

My favourite comparison is with the Audi Etron now rebadged with the facelift to Q8 Etron.
The bigger battery (Etron 55) is £10,000 more than the smaller battery (Etron 50) for very similar range and performance marginal benefits.
Even if you’re not bothered about the range and don’t need it the entire rest of the world is OBSESSED with range.
First question from anyone about the car when you tell them it is 100% electric is ALWAYS.
How far will it go on one charge?
On a 100k car I think a 4K bigger battery is a Porsche bargain.

OP
OP
Chris_S

Chris_S

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M340i, Taycan 4S
Country flag
Great insights - thanks all !!!!

Does anyone have performance stats for 4S PB+ VS 4S PB or even the RWD delta figures?

I can only find 0-60 which is the same, would be interested to know how this differs in terms of other stats...

Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag
The PB+ keeps on pulling after 60 mph much better. PB though is perfectly quick enough even in base never mind 4S.
Get the + battery for the range rather than performance. That is more of a useable, useful and meaningful benefit and the reason you will get that 4K back at resale. Guaranteed.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Great insights - thanks all !!!!

Does anyone have performance stats for 4S PB+ VS 4S PB or even the RWD delta figures?

I can only find 0-60 which is the same, would be interested to know how this differs in terms of other stats...
Had stored this at some point.
Hopefully is still up to date/relevant?

Porsche Taycan Why go for the Performance Battery Plus? 1651862655911

Avantgarde

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' Taycan RWD PB+, 21' X5 Xdrive45e, 09' Cayman
Country flag
Had stored this at some point.
Hopefully is still up to date/relevant?

1651862655911.png
I do think PB+ os one of the cheapest options porsche offers compared to value. There is $ value attributable to perf pick up after 30 mph., which I calculated to be a MIN ~$2600, using a pretty objective math. Hear me out. There seems to be consensus in forums that an upgrade to 4S from RWD is perfectly justified (if not mandatory to some) given the performance difference. The price difference between 4S and a rwd is $13,800 in the us (for similar batteries, after adjusting the list price difference by $5000 to capture air suspension and an attributed value to 4 wheel drive). In the case of 4S vs RWD, $13,800 buys you a 0-160km/h time improvement of 23%. (Per the table above). Which converts to $600 per 1% improvement. Now PB+ improves 0-160kmh performance of the RWD by 4.3%. Yes a more modest improvement compared to 4S jump but shouldn’t it have any value? If we use the same “price per % improvement” factor: $600x4.3=$2600. Now i used 0-160kmh as a basis as i think this is the typical speed band an enthusiast spends seeks the maximum power during spirited driving. If i were to use 0-200kmh band as a basis valuation goes up to $4000 (probably more relevant if I lived in Germany). Now this calc ignores the handling impact of weight differences between models, which some of us are very sensitive about. But for most of us who does not have the balls to push into race driver limits, weight difference in the entire range does not seem to have a noticeable impact on driving experience. (Many magazine reviews seem to have the same conclusion). Bottom line i think it is fair to attribute ~50% of the PB+ price to marginal perf improvement, which leaves a small price pay for the range pick up.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
I do think PB+ os one of the cheapest options porsche offers compared to value. There is $ value attributable to perf pick up after 30 mph., which I calculated to be a MIN ~$2600, using a pretty objective math. Hear me out. There seems to be consensus in forums that an upgrade to 4S from RWD is perfectly justified (if not mandatory to some) given the performance difference. The price difference between 4S and a rwd is $13,800 in the us (for similar batteries, after adjusting the list price difference by $5000 to capture air suspension and an attributed value to 4 wheel drive). In the case of 4S vs RWD, $13,800 buys you a 0-160km/h time improvement of 23%. (Per the table above). Which converts to $600 per 1% improvement. Now PB+ improves 0-160kmh performance of the RWD by 4.3%. Yes a more modest improvement compared to 4S jump but shouldn’t it have any value? If we use the same “price per % improvement” factor: $600x4.3=$2600. Now i used 0-160kmh as a basis as i think this is the typical speed band an enthusiast spends seeks the maximum power during spirited driving. If i were to use 0-200kmh band as a basis valuation goes up to $4000 (probably more relevant if I lived in Germany). Now this calc ignores the handling impact of weight differences between models, which some of us are very sensitive about. But for most of us who does not have the balls to push into race driver limits, weight difference in the entire range does not seem to have a noticeable impact on driving experience. (Many magazine reviews seem to have the same conclusion). Bottom line i think it is fair to attribute ~50% of the PB+ price to marginal perf improvement, which leaves a small price pay for the range pick up.
I think the real world figure that people experience the most often (and should be used) is the 80-120km/h.

That is far more relevant every time you accelerate while on the move, not the limited number of standing starts to high speed (using Launch Control).
I for one seldom get a chance to even attempt those on public roads.

80-120km/h is a 10% improvement in the RWD PB+ over PB.
Which considering the bigger battery also buys you extra range (and likely retains a good proportion of its value) makes it good value.
It also brings the RWD nearly half way closer to the 4S 'in gear times'.

Whether the PB+ provides a better driving experience is another matter.
I bet it doesn't as it adds weight.

Also a separate issue to pay for the jump up to the 4S.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chris_S

Chris_S

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M340i, Taycan 4S
Country flag
Loving these stats!

Does anyone actually use launch control other than in the few few weeks when the car is new, not sure about others but I find it difficult to find places suitable to test it, in my BMW as it takes around 30 seconds to go through the procedure and often does not engage first time!

Therefore as stated above the main factors in 4S PB+ VS 4S PB are short term acceleration (where both PB+/PB are the same) and 80-120 (again where they are the same).

This debate is not about what I can afford but more about getting the best 'bang for buck' I think the 4S looks to have this in terms of 'sweet spot' in the range and the standard PB is only of value if you need the extra range.

Decision made.

I just now need to think about the sports chrono pack, which also feels like money for nothing!!!! but that's another thread!
Sponsored