WLG2 Campaign -- software updates

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
I picked up my 4s this evening from the service shop after having the 12v battery replaced, and have an update to share with the group. A software update was released while my car was in the shop and from the paperwork I have it is called WLG2 Campaign. There is a long list of various control unit updates that are part of the software release. My paperwork did not say which VIN's were affected, so I would check with your local Porsche service team to see if your car will receive this update. The updates are broken down by control units - VR8.6 and VR8.7. Some of the more interesting items listed as updated are, and I quote, high-voltage charger control unit (OBC), High voltage batter control unit (BMCe), PCM, Porche Control Unit, high-voltage power electronic control unit front and rear, HV voltage converter, HV voltage converter, the engine electronics (DME), and finally, and most interesting, the Over-the-Air (OTA) control unit.

Someone with better Porsche connections than I will have to do a little more digging to see what these updates do exactly, since my service advisor is still learning about the Taycan, and had no clue other than reading the Porsche documentation info for the WLG2 Campaign.
Sponsored

PNWTaycan4S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘91 Polar Silver 964, ‘20 Dolomite Silver Taycan 4S, ‘19 Gravity Blue Nero EV
Country flag
I picked up my 4s this evening from the service shop after having the 12v battery replaced, and have an update to share with the group. A software update was released while my car was in the shop and from the paperwork I have it is called WLG2 Campaign. There is a long list of various control unit updates that are part of the software release. My paperwork did not say which VIN's were affected, so I would check with your local Porsche service team to see if your car will receive this update. The updates are broken down by control units - VR8.6 and VR8.7. Some of the more interesting items listed as updated are, and I quote, high-voltage charger control unit (OBC), High voltage batter control unit (BMCe), PCM, Porche Control Unit, high-voltage power electronic control unit front and rear, HV voltage converter, HV voltage converter, the engine electronics (DME), and finally, and most interesting, the Over-the-Air (OTA) control unit.

Someone with better Porsche connections than I will have to do a little more digging to see what these updates do exactly, since my service advisor is still learning about the Taycan, and had no clue other than reading the Porsche documentation info for the WLG2 Campaign.
Hope everything goes well and thanks for the campaign notice. I’ve asked my dealer to make sure this is done prior to my pickup Friday.

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
That correlates with my pick up yesterday, dealer told me prior to pickup that they were doing a big software update on the car. So far when using PCM only thing I’ve noticed is buggy initial profile login.

MissionC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I just emailed my service tech to see if that campaign applies to my car.

OP
OP
thecoloradokid

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
I just emailed my service tech to see if that campaign applies to my car.

Let us know what the response is, since I am curious to know if it applies to all Taycan's, or just a certain few.

This is where it would have been great if Porsche had enabled over the air updates - owners could have done this at home, and not had to have made a trip to a dealership. Hopefully, the auto industry catches up with the one car manufacturer that truly has this capability.

awharton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS, Mercedes EQC400
Country flag
Let us know what the response is, since I am curious to know if it applies to all Taycan's, or just a certain few.

This is where it would have been great if Porsche had enabled over the air updates - owners could have done this at home, and not had to have made a trip to a dealership. Hopefully, the auto industry catches up with the one car manufacturer that truly has this capability.
Thought Taycan’s already had this ability built in? Certainly every time I’ve asked anyone at Porsche they have made a point to say this was possible.

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hopefully, the auto industry catches up with the one car manufacturer that truly has this capability.
more importantly, hopefully they don't seriously nerf the range or change features for the worse the way another car manufacturer has done. With great power, comes great responsibility.

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag

My 4S is also subject to the campaign. It was one of the first to be delivered (April). I contacted my dealership and was given the details of WLG2. I asked for a loaner, but was told it was a software update so I could wait while it was updated. @louv mentioned in the 12v battery thread that his was going in today and that there was some hardware too. Was yours software only or was there hardware too?

isacumi

First Name
isacumi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TAYCAN 4S
Country flag
Here you have the complete list of updates includes in the WGL2 Campaign.
It is in Spanish only, sorry.
If necessary, I could try translating it.

Attachments

MissionC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
The service tech responded that it’s not needed for my car, which already has the latest update applied (I took delivery on 7/15). I asked about how I’d be notified for future software updates and he said Porsche would directly contact/notify owners of available updates.

Perhaps after folks get that campaign’s update, we can all post version numbers of the PCM software and see what the delta is. I’m going presume there are different builds and versions for various regions so not sure a comparison between PCM versions for North America and UK, for instance, is apples-to-apples.

isacumi

First Name
isacumi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TAYCAN 4S
Country flag
The service tech responded that it’s not needed for my car, which already has the latest update applied (I took delivery on 7/15). I asked about how I’d be notified for future software updates and he said Porsche would directly contact/notify owners of available updates.

Perhaps after folks get that campaign’s update, we can all post version numbers of the PCM software and see what the delta is. I’m going presume there are different builds and versions for various regions so not sure a comparison between PCM versions for North America and UK, for instance, is apples-to-apples.

My TAYCAN 4S was updated yesterday.
No changes in PCM release, 3276.
Here you have pictures after WLG2 Campaing was finished.

Porsche Taycan WLG2 Campaign --  software updates 20200728_211735

Porsche Taycan WLG2 Campaign --  software updates 20200728_211743

MissionC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
My version info and I stand corrected on how region-specific the software build are:

Porsche Taycan WLG2 Campaign --  software updates 956F5212-2252-4B57-BFE7-C51149F19A41

Porsche Taycan WLG2 Campaign --  software updates 8E536050-94CD-4119-B9C6-E90B66F17B7F

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
Here's my extraction of the details:

WLG2 - Updating Software for Various Control Units VR8.7

Affected Vehicles
There are 2,387 vehicles affected by this campaign.

Updated Versions:
High-voltage power electronics, front and rear 0007
Control unit for high-voltage charger (OBC) 1079
High-voltage battery control unit (BMCe) E870
HV voltage converter 0899
Brake booster (electric brake booster) 0100
High-voltage DC charger (booster) 0990
Engine electronics (DME) 0005
Brake electronics (PSM) 0094
Driver’s seat and passenger’s seat adjustment 0064
Assistance systems (zFAS) 0355

Software Updates VR8.6 & VR8.7(marked below with *):

Navigation and infotainment: Porsche Communication Management (PCM)
- Quick Filter "Charging stations" is permanently visible in the PCM in order to select charging stations as a destination
- Last destinations and favorites, such as "Home" and "Work", remain stored
- Saved satellite map settings are optimized
- Registration via Porsche ID is improved

Assistance systems
- The functionality of Park Distance Control (PDC) is optimized and sporadic system failures that currently occur are corrected. *

Charging
- A new charging cable with a cable length of 7.5 meter can also be used in the future
- The charge state calculation is optimized and thus any limited system shutdowns are avoided.
- At-home charging is improved. Any premature disruption of the charging process is prevented *
- The calculation of the battery capacity is optimized further *

Air conditioning
- The functionality of the air conditioning is optimized: Temperature settings in the rear air-conditioning control panel thus remain constant and sporadic failures of the air conditioning are corrected

Chassis and driving comfort
- The starting comfort at full acceleration is optimized
- Possible chassis noises from the front axle area are reduced
- The lift function is improved. The set vehicle height is not lost after a restart *
- Software optimizations improve the functionality of the Porsche Stability Management (PSM) when driving downhill or during stop-and-go driving *

Digital cockpit display (instrument cluster)
- Various soware optimizations prevent the sporadic, short-lived display of various messages and thus improve the driving experience *

Seat adjustment
- On vehicles in non-Connect markets, the chosen seat memory settings of the driver's seat will now also be preserved after the driving readiness is complete
- In future, when using a guest profile, seat and ergonomic positions will be stored and will not be lost after a restart.

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
My car is getting this update right now...
Sponsored