First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
They even acknowledge it and have a very "implausible" fix, imo:
Here's the most irritating thing about that document. It's dated February 2020. Meaning it's 1.5 years old and they still haven't pushed a fix.

That is not very encouraging.
Sponsored

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
While all of us share your pain in paying this sort of money for a car, I think this above reasoning is perhaps unrealistic. Most exotic car folks who spend Uber money, like the $300k+ crowd, know that their cars might have a lot of issues. That’s what happens when you buy a relatively low volume vehicle. Read McLaren and Ferrari forums — many similar stories of electrical failures even in ICE cars.

If you want a reliable, 6-sigma built vehicle, then get an Accord or Leaf. I’m not trying to be facetious; just basic reliability engineering principles of going with lower volume products.

Nor am I trying to make excuses for Porsche. None of us enjoy dealing with this. But my expectation is that if I can afford a $175k car, then I can afford to deal with its potential costly issues.
We're not buying a car where every part is made only a handful of hundreds of times. This is not a high-end McLaren or Ferrari. If this were a 918 spyder or something along those lines, or even a GT3, and the problem is in parts specific to that car, fair enough.

But the software and hardware platforms of the various VW AG cars share a lot of parts/components. The Taycan shares parts explicitly with the Audi Etron (the whole drive train, battery, likely full software stack etc.), and also various components with other Porsche cars.

Even by itself, the Taycan with it's yearly 40-50K cars isn't anywhere close to that rarified air.

And as I already pointed out, a lot of this is the handling by the "professional service network", and has little do with the design and manufacturing of the vehicle. Their service network and processes have had decades to improve. We shouldn't have to go to a forum to read other people's experience to be able to judge whether it's too early to have the recall update done or not. We shouldn't need to figure out which dealer has or hasn't had experience with this on a forum.

Scotty

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4s
Country flag
My dealer has had my car for a week and a half to apply the recall update. They say they are halfway through the six steps, and now it keeps crashing. They’ve had to reach out to Porsche and are waiting to hear back. Anyone else have this problem with the update?
Dropped my car off today for update. Dealer insisted i take a loner car because no way do they see this getting done in 6 hrs. My model 2020 4 s. Another guy had a 2021 model they told him he needs adjustment to suspension plus update. Also my porsche dashcam only works 1/2 the time even after replacing it once. If they cannot fix dealer to give me full refund including install cost.

ilsaair

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan S, 1989 560SL, 2020 Range Rover Velar
Country flag
Had my update done on Saturday. It took 1 hour. Be advised that there are TWO possible updates. If you car has not had the earlier massive update - that one takes 4-5 hours and can be clunky.

The update for the recall that just happened is 1 hour.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Had my update done on Saturday. It took 1 hour. Be advised that there are TWO possible updates. If you car has not had the earlier massive update - that one takes 4-5 hours and can be clunky.

The update for the recall that just happened is 1 hour.
Mine was 1.5 hours. (April 2021 build)

kruzmisl

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S. 2019 Cayenne E-Hy.
Country flag
My 2021 4S went in this morning. Get’s it’s first wash as well as the update (hopefully). My service adviser said they have been going smoothly so far.

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
Dropped my car off today for update. Dealer insisted i take a loner car because no way do they see this getting done in 6 hrs. My model 2020 4 s. Another guy had a 2021 model they told him he needs adjustment to suspension plus update. Also my porsche dashcam only works 1/2 the time even after replacing it once. If they cannot fix dealer to give me full refund including install cost.
Which dealer was this that gave you the Taycan 4S loaner?

rx7arai

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan, 2022 Polestar 2
Country flag
I just did the recall service today with my local Porsche. I dropped it off around 12:30 pm and got it back around 4 pm. Sorry to hear not everyone had a smooth experience:(

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
FWIW: I made an appointment for this update, the first day that they would give me a loaner is 8/31
I hope I don't encounter the stalling issue in the next 6 weeks

Bmann312

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
My dealer said it would take 4 days for the software update and the German engineers were still having issues correcting this. Now I'm waiting on a part from Germany to fix this issue. My cars been in the service center for about 2 weeks now. Just glad they were able to give me a loaner.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
My dealer said it would take 4 days for the software update and the German engineers were still having issues correcting this. Now I'm waiting on a part from Germany to fix this issue. My cars been in the service center for about 2 weeks now. Just glad they were able to give me a loaner.
What specific part are they waiting on? This seems odd for a software update unless there's a module or something else faulty.

SpicewoodT

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
The update of my 2021 4S took about 45 minutes this morning. I did, however, notice on the drive home that my cruise control was not working. I'll try again after letting it sit for a while today. Otherwise everything seemed to be working.

Bmann312

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
What specific part are they waiting on? This seems odd for a software update unless there's a module or something else faulty.
I'm not exactly sure what kind of part, but will confirm with my dealer, who has updated be daily. Since it's coming straight from Germany, has to go through customs. Dealer told me my cars one of the first to have this issue. So it's the guinea pig. I knew I should have purchased the 911 instead :facepalm:
I will update the community with the exact part. In case others run into this issue.

Dslev

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
My 2021 Turbo was dropped off this AM for the update. It's a very busy dealer in Southern California, so they've done a few. Service advisor told me they have had no issues. Expected to keep car 1/2 day.

UPDATE: The update took 1.5 hours, no problems post update. I was told that depending on the production date of your vehicle, the update may be more or less involved. My car was an end of March build, so took the lesser update.

Last edited:

DNADoc

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MB S560e
Country flag
I am scheduled for the Recall update on August 10th. Can anyone tell me if the fix actually works? Has anyone had the issue of sudden loss of power and error message after getting the update?

Buck
Sponsored