bchou

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Just got my Taycan RWD back from getting Xpel Stealth PPF and window tint installed (70% windshield, 50% front, 20% rear 3m Crystalline) - The PPF looks great at a glance but I took a closer look at home and noticed a few PPF edges that I want a second opinion on

1. should the film under the handles be completely covered? it may be hard to see in the pictures, but there is a visible uneven edge when the door handles are up
2. should the side mirrors be completely covered in PPF or partially like in the photo?
3. there are several small (less than 0.5mm) circular depressions in the film on one door panel. I noticed because some dirt accumulated in them which made it stand out (not shown in photos). I'm not sure if I should ask to get the entire film replaced?

I'll definitely call out the crinkles on the edge to get it fixed but what about the other issues above? This is my first PPF install, so I'm not sure what is expected when it comes to full body PPF

Thanks in advance!!

Porsche Taycan Xpel Stealth PPF install quality L1030513.JPG
Porsche Taycan Xpel Stealth PPF install quality L1030511.JPG
Porsche Taycan Xpel Stealth PPF install quality L1030515.JPG
Porsche Taycan Xpel Stealth PPF install quality L1030516.JPG
Porsche Taycan Xpel Stealth PPF install quality L1030523.JPG
Porsche Taycan Xpel Stealth PPF install quality L1030522.JPG
Porsche Taycan Xpel Stealth PPF install quality IMG_0908

Porsche Taycan Xpel Stealth PPF install quality L1030518.JPG

marc

First Name
marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 4s
Country flag
That is substandard. XPEL warrants their installers work so I recommend you visit the corp website and find another XPEL authorized installer to remedy the problems.
I had multiple problems with my full expel/ceramic work(sent out by the dealer pre-delivery) and took it to a XPEL location and it was all redone under the warranty. It is now absolutely stunning.

Taycanturbolondon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
there should be no crinkles at all.

a few places are not covered by ppf but they are absolutely tiny and you barely see

Fedex77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M3 E92, Range Rover Sport HST
Country flag
The problem with stealth is that any exposed places can look bad. I’m not sure how I feel about mirrors not being totally wrapped if part of is matte and part is glossy.

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS E-Tron GT, VW ID.4 Pro
Country flag
They need to redo it.
Crinkles aside, there should be no visible lines of PPF. Dirt under the PPF will be a big problem in the future.

The wrap should be so perfect, it's indistinguishable from a factory paint matte finish. Zero gloss paint visible.
You will notice installers remove the door handles to insure a seamless wrap

How did the tint come out? Any dust particles visible?

yucatown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Yeah, I’m not sure how much you paid, but that would not be acceptable in my book.

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
1. should the film under the handles be completely covered? it may be hard to see in the pictures, but there is a visible uneven edge when the door handles are up
If the installer is not removing the door handles, it is not uncommon to have an uncovered area here. I specifically asked the installer not to remove mechanicals, so I have a gap as well, but the gap is a straight line.
2. should the side mirrors be completely covered in PPF or partially like in the photo?
Many templates and PPF installers do not cover the entire mirror. So this is not exactly uncommon. However, I can assure you that some people would also not find this acceptable. Installers prefer to remove mirrors to do complete coverage; since I did not want to have my installer remove any mechanicals, I have only the top of my mirrors as well. (Without the puckered edge, though.)
3. there are several small (less than 0.5mm) circular depressions in the film on one door panel. I noticed because some dirt accumulated in them which made it stand out (not shown in photos). I'm not sure if I should ask to get the entire film replaced?
That's not OK. It should be fixed, and I would indeed leave it up to them to decide how to do it (at least the first time).

OP
OP

bchou

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
it was $5670 for full body stealth xpel ppf - I'm definitely going to call them out on the shoddy edges and hopefully get them to fix everything during a complementary follow up appointment next week

Thanks for the responses and helping me understand what is and isn't acceptable

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
it was $5670 for full body stealth xpel ppf - I'm definitely going to call them out on the shoddy edges and hopefully get them to fix everything during a complementary follow up appointment next week

Thanks for the responses and helping me understand what is and isn't acceptable
As a back up plan if you paid with a credit card and it's not resolved you can dispute the charge.
The happened to me on a paint correction that wasn't done properly, installer didn't fix the issue, so I disputed the charge.

OP
OP

bchou

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
after the 'fixes'... ugh... the side mirrors are correct now (still not fully covering though) but the back looks worse

Porsche Taycan Xpel Stealth PPF install quality IMG_0943

Porsche Taycan Xpel Stealth PPF install quality IMG_0944

Porsche Taycan Xpel Stealth PPF install quality IMG_0945

Porsche Taycan Xpel Stealth PPF install quality IMG_0946

Porsche Taycan Xpel Stealth PPF install quality IMG_0947

Porsche Taycan Xpel Stealth PPF install quality IMG_0949

Fedex77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M3 E92, Range Rover Sport HST
Country flag
My trunk (last pic) looks somewhat similar as yours (can’t speak for the rest of the car). I think that curve is really hard to cover with PPF, but on mine it’s not noticeable since it’s gloss and blends in. Only way you can tell is if you run your fingers along it.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
after the 'fixes'... ugh... the side mirrors are correct now (still not fully covering though) but the back looks worse
Wow - that is seriously sub-standard - my 2015 front half install on my M4 is literally light years better in respect hidden edges and flawless finish and I know for a fact there are even better installers in my neck of the woods.

The ragged edges, bubbles, creases etc. here and 100% unacceptable but unfortunately you now need to find a reputable installer to fix this (not this outfit) which means probably a lengthy discussions with corporate. IMO, this installer (or perhaps it is the specific tech) needs to be removed by Xpel Corp. if currently a 'recommended' Xpel shop - terrible!

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You will certainly see dirt collecting on trunk portion which would make it even more obvious.
The best solution is to find a more qualified installer

OP
OP

bchou

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
You will certainly see dirt collecting on trunk portion which would make it even more obvious.
The best solution is to find a more qualified installer
Yeah... this is quite annoying and concerning. I sent the pictures over to a different shop that is much more reputable (and expensive) to get their opinion and they hinted that a re-install may not be covered under warranty due to this being an install error and not a film defect. There is no way I want to pay another 6-10k to get things redone correctly and I don't want to fight the shop that installed the film since they'll insist to fix it again

The ragged edges, bubbles, creases etc. here and 100% unacceptable but unfortunately you now need to find a reputable installer to fix this (not this outfit) which means probably a lengthy discussions with corporate. IMO, this installer (or perhaps it is the specific tech) needs to be removed by Xpel Corp. if currently a 'recommended' Xpel shop - terrible!
Yep! Just checked the Xpel site and the shop I used is listed as an authorized installer.. Very disappointing
Sponsored