W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
My understanding was that the car does this by default and that if you select a DC charger as the destination in the Porsche factory navigation the car will preheat the battery en route without needing the PIRM option. Is that not correct? I don’t have PIRM (it is available for me as a FOD) and the couple of times I have navigated to a fast charger (I typically only charge at home and don’t do long road trips) I “think” it was preheating the battery en route (unless that was just coincidence and dictated by my driving style at the time?).
Don't think that is likely - you need to instruct the car to go to that location and for it to be recognised as a charging location otherwise your battery would always be 'hot' on the off chance you might stop to feed it.
Sponsored

madeyong

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S; BMW X7
Country flag
Don't think that is likely - you need to instruct the car to go to that location and for it to be recognised as a charging location otherwise your battery would always be 'hot' on the off chance you might stop to feed it.
I think you misunderstood my post. I’m saying that yes I agree you need to instruct the car to go to a particular fast charging location (and car must recognize the destination as such in the nav) but I am saying you don’t ALSO need the Porsche Intelligent Range Manager for the preheating to do it’s thing. It comes default with the car.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I think you misunderstood my post. I’m saying that yes I agree you need to instruct the car to go to a particular fast charging location (and car must recognize the destination as such in the nav) but I am saying you don’t ALSO need the Porsche Intelligent Range Manager for the preheating to do it’s thing. It comes default with the car.
Yes that's right - it's a function of the Charging Planner.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
My understanding was that the car does this by default and that if you select a DC charger as the destination in the Porsche factory navigation the car will preheat the battery en route without needing the PIRM option. Is that not correct? I don’t have PIRM (it is available for me as a FOD) and the couple of times I have navigated to a fast charger (I typically only charge at home and don’t do long road trips) I “think” it was preheating the battery en route (unless that was just coincidence and dictated by my driving style at the time?).
Correct. The "stock" charging planner does preheat the battery when you have a charger in route. I've confirmed this behavior firsthand.

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
You may be right, but I do not actually know as I have never had the non-PIRM navigation system.

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Correct. The "stock" charging planner does preheat the battery when you have a charger in route. I've confirmed this behavior firsthand.
If that is the case then PIRM does not seem to offer enough bang for the buck.

Oyinko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
It is not very expensive but not very good either. Marginally worth having because of the battery preheating ahead of a primmed charging stop.
The Taycan preheats the battery ahead of a DC charging stop without the PIRG.

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If that's true, I definitely want it. AFAIK, all Taycan perform the preheating when navigating to a high power charger.

I plan on trying it on free trial with FOD and then deciding.
You may not need PIRM for that feature, apparently.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
What PRIM offers is alternate routes with different criteria.

Stuff like "You can take this route and drive up to X MPH" etc.

For me it presented to many options - I just want the shortest route with the fewest charging stops, and if I overdrive it dynamically account for this and find me a stopgap charger. Default charging planner accomplishes this for me.

As others have said though, get it after delivery using Functions on Demand and see if you like it!

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
What PRIM offers is alternate routes with different criteria.

Stuff like "You can take this route and drive up to X MPH" etc.

For me it presented to many options - I just want the shortest route with the fewest charging stops, and if I overdrive it dynamically account for this and find me a stopgap charger. Default charging planner accomplishes this for me.

As others have said though, get it after delivery using Functions on Demand and see if you like it!
Wise advice. The PIRM indeed often offers multiple route options and also the choice between Normal and Range mode to get there, but that is a less practical feature than it sounds IMHO.

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
PIRM is standard on the UK configurator. Maybe not elsewhere and maybe not in the past, but it is now. I looked through the spec and was surprised to soo that automatic lane keeping is also standard. Unless I am missing something here

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
PIRM is standard on the UK configurator. Maybe not elsewhere and maybe not in the past, but it is now. I looked through the spec and was surprised to soo that automatic lane keeping is also standard. Unless I am missing something here
PIRM has been standard on UK spec most definitely for MY 21 onwards and I imagine for MY20 too.

Lane departure warning (auto correction and audible sound with an indicator on the dash) is STD and personally I think is dangerous given it relies on reading road markings which on UK roads the upkeep is pretty poor. I have mine disabled.

Lane Change Assist (LEDs in door mirrors etc) is extra.

Lane Keep Assist is part of ACC I think but would need to check.

Perhaps it's lane departure warning you are thinking off?

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
PIRM has been standard on UK spec most definitely for MY 21 onwards and I imagine for MY20 too.

Lane departure warning (auto correction and audible sound with an indicator on the dash) is STD and personally I think is dangerous given it relies on reading road markings which on UK roads the upkeep is pretty poor. I have mine disabled.

I think I will order PIRM because it is cheap. And LKA probably as FOD to give it a try.

Lane Change Assist (LEDs in door mirrors etc) is extra.

Lane Keep Assist is part of ACC I think but would need to check.

Perhaps it's lane departure warning you are thinking off?
Lane keep assist is part of Innodrive not ACC. LKA can be purchased as FOD apart from Innodrive. If you buy both it is more than factory Innodrive. And factory Innodrive has some things FOD Innodrive doesn’t have. My dealer advised against Innodrive because in Belgium can brake when it shouldn’t. Probably the automatic speed adjustment and that can be switched off.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Lane keep assist is part of Innodrive not ACC. LKA can be purchased as FOD apart from Innodrive. If you buy both it is more than factory Innodrive. And factory Innodrive has some things FOD Innodrive doesn’t have. My dealer advised against Innodrive because in Belgium can brake when it shouldn’t. Probably the automatic speed adjustment and that can be switched off.
Yeah I wasn't sure but knew that ACC (incl InnoDrive) offered some features.

I don't have ACC (clearly) but if I did I would avoid InnoDrive for the reason mentioned - random speed changes due to incorrect data (either mapping or camera recognition) but I believe you can disable this part to a degree if not fully.

The basic set up already highlights the issue with incorrect speed limits but at least there is no control on the car.
Sponsored