Porsche Intelligent Range Manager Worth having?

Chuck J

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Silver Taycan 4S, 2012 991 911 (sold), 1995 993 (Gave to son) 1965 356 (gave to son)
Country flag
I got the Intelligent range manager and find it horrible. ABRP is much better. The Porsche planning system routed me 2 hours honger on my trip. It does near nothing right. The only worse piece of software is the Porsche Connect. Thank God they got the rest of the car right. I have been driving Porsche cars since 1967 and it's the worst engineering I have ever experienced.

Conversely, the best way to plan a trip is to identify and put in the next stop when you charge up and stop charging when the indicator says you will have 15% when you get to the destination charger. Be sure you have an alternative that can save you if that charger doesn't work. ABRP will identify that. The percent energy remaining at destination is very accurate and makes using it as range anxiety reducing as experienced in a gas car.

Chuck J

Last edited:

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
ABRP is extraordinarily conservative in its planning. It's always sticking in charging stops that aren't really needed. There is no way you are going to run out of charge using their planning. If you have a well known route with charging stops, as an experiment try to get ABRP to agree to the real world results using the same conditions.

Now it would be interesting to compare Intelligent Range Manager with ABRP over the same route and see what the actual differences are.

Chuck J

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Silver Taycan 4S, 2012 991 911 (sold), 1995 993 (Gave to son) 1965 356 (gave to son)
Country flag
You need adjust the constant number to get an accurate number

Chuck J

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
ABRP is extraordinarily conservative in its planning. It's always sticking in charging stops that aren't really needed. There is no way you are going to run out of charge using their planning. If you have a well known route with charging stops, as an experiment try to get ABRP to agree to the real world results using the same conditions.

Now it would be interesting to compare Intelligent Range Manager with ABRP over the same route and see what the actual differences are.
You can change the amount of energy ABRP uses for its calculations. You can make it as conservative or not as you like.

Dr Chill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2008 911 Turbo, 2009 911 Turbo Cab
Country flag
Have had my car for 6 months and have never used the PIRM. If you don't take the car on road trips, it's not necessary.

Chuck J

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Have had my car for 6 months and have never used the PIRM. If you don't take the car on road trips, it's not necessary.
Yes, it does seem to be a worthless option right now like the Porsche connect.

Chuck J

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
You can change the amount of energy ABRP uses for its calculations. You can make it as conservative or not as you like.
Yes I did that once. I tried to make ABRP agree with one of my tests. I had to take the input all the way from 255 to 170 to get it to agree. ABRP insisted on putting in an 8 minute charging stop which was completely unneeded. I would like to do the same thing but with more charging stops and compare the actual with ABRP and the Porsche planner. I think a trip of around 500 miles would be representative.

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes I did that once. I tried to make ABRP agree with one of my tests. I had to take the input all the way from 255 to 170 to get it to agree. ABRP insisted on putting in an 8 minute charging stop which was completely unneeded. I would like to do the same thing but with more charging stops and compare the actual with ABRP and the Porsche planner. I think a trip of around 500 miles would be representative.
You may already know this, but just in case...

Besides the efficiency value, you can also set minimum SOC at the next charger as well as destination. The defaults are conservative, especially in the summer.

I used EVtripplanner.com for many years. They don’t have an app, and I don’t think the developer is active anymore, but it’s another option to consider perhaps for comparison / sanity testing.

edit: come to think of it, I’m not sure it supports networks other than Tesla.

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
Same here: I have my car since mid-October and did not use PIRM yet. It is the only option that I chose which seems to have been a waste in hindsight.

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Same here: I have my car since mid-October and did not use PIRM yet. It is the only option that I chose which seems to have been a waste in hindsight.
At least it was “cheap”.

MissionC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have it, but don’t take many long trips. The primary value for me isn’t the trip planning aspect, but the ability for the car to start warming up the battery as I get close to a charging station for maximum effectiveness (granted, if EA’s network were reliable, this would be much more valuable). As Porsche upgrades their backend platform to incorporate more and higher-quality data this feature should be more useful over time. That said, most of the longer routes I take I know the way by heart so not really getting the full value out the spend on this feature.

Chuck J

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have it, but don’t take many long trips. The primary value for me isn’t the trip planning aspect, but the ability for the car to start warming up the battery as I get close to a charging station for maximum effectiveness (granted, if EA’s network were reliable, this would be much more valuable). As Porsche upgrades their backend platform to incorporate more and higher-quality data this feature should be more useful over time. That said, most of the longer routes I take I know the way by heart so not really getting the full value out the spend on this feature.
I think the warming ability comes with the car.

Chuck J

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
I think the warming ability comes with the car.

Chuck J
Yup, as long as you set a charger specifically as a destination the car should start conditioning the battery. But you may need to do this a while before (like 20 min or more).

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
How did IRM perform on your drive to Oregon?
Wife ended up in emergency the day before our flight to Atlanta. Atlanta PEC graciously trucked our Porsche to Oregon.
Sponsored