Porsche Intelligent Range Manager

perski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche C2S, CT4
Country flag
Is it just me or is Porsche confusing us with overly similar names for their features? Lane Keep Assist (LKA) is a standard feature in most markets I think and is nudging you when it thinks you're drifting out of lane. It can get very annoying on small roads without central road marking as it thinks you're too far to the right. Active Lane Keeping (ALK) is part of InnoDrive or can be had as a FOD and is Porsche's answer to Autopilot.
Sponsored

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
As others have said though, get it after delivery using Functions on Demand and see if you like it!
That's my plan. I took it out of my build after watching a reviewer online who after doing some road tripping around Europe, decided to take it to a dealer to have it deactivated. Apparently PIRM makes some assumptions which cannot be changed, and PIRM cannot be disabled by the driver, which resulted in some annoying behaviors while road-tripping.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
It’s not the same thing but ABRP does similar things but much better and fine granular control. Only thing missing is live data updates from the car consumption. For sone cars it has live data links that can be subscribed. Overall its the better tool and why I didn’t purchase the intelligent planner from Porsche.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Is it just me or is Porsche confusing us with overly similar names for their features? Lane Keep Assist (LKA) is a standard feature in most markets I think and is nudging you when it thinks you're drifting out of lane. It can get very annoying on small roads without central road marking as it thinks you're too far to the right. Active Lane Keeping (ALK) is part of InnoDrive or can be had as a FOD and is Porsche's answer to Autopilot.
Indeed!

Lane Keeping Assist including Traffic Sign Recognition is STD in UK at least and probably in Europe due to some regulation or other.

The others require additional hardware e.g. ACC, ACC + InnoDrive, upgraded door mirrors for lane change assist (flashing LEDs) / blindspot monitoring.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
You may not need PIRM for that feature, apparently.
Correct, the cars normal route planner will preheat the battery for fast charging. It works very well, especially if you have a longer trip with several charging stops, planned by the route planner. Then you only have to check and see that the car has planned stops at HPC and that the station has several chargers. No joy to have the car planning a stop at a single 50 kW charger, that most likely is occupied when you arrive.
When on a longer trip, I have experienced the battery yo be preheated to about 30 C and charging stops are very fast at Ionity stations then. 20 minutes easily gets from about 10 to 80 %.

In my understanding PIRM will use the same function, but will try to further optimise the travel time, by adjusting heating controls to ECO mode and limit speed further in Range mode. I have only tried it in a loaner but that was not so impressive. Limited the speed settings and navigated to a 50 kW charger that was not available. The features may be further improved with future updates, but so far I am happy to not have that option installed.

Last edited:

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Correct, the cars normal route planner will preheat the battery for fast charging. It works very well, especially if you have a longer trip with several charging stops, planned by the route planner. Then you only have to check and see that the car has planned stops at HPC and that the station has several chargers. No joy to have the car planning a stop at a single 50 kW charger, that most likely is occupied when you arrive.
When on a longer trip, I have experienced the battery yo be preheated to about 30 C and charging stops are very fast at Ionity stations then. 20 minutes easily gets from about 10 to 80 %.

In my understanding PIRM will use the same function, but will try to further optimise the travel time, by adjusting heating controls to ECO mode and limit speed further in Range mode. I have only tried it in a loaner but that was not so impressive. Limited the speed settings and navigated to a 50 kW charger that was not available. The features may be further improved with future updates, but so far I am happy to not have that option installed.
Personally I think it is worth having than not (as a factory order) - more details here https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/products/taycan/range-18560.html - works well in my experience.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Yes, I found it very confusing also.

My understanding of things (and correct me if I'm wrong, internet):

Active Cruise Control - Speed and distance keeping
Lane Keep Assist - Nudges/warnings if you drift
Active Lane Keeping - Auto steering similar to Tesla Autopilot
InnoDrive - Auto speed changes

I disabled InnoDrive almost immediately. I have ACC, LKA and ALK which does deliver an autodriving-like experience.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
InnoDrive - Auto speed changes

I disabled InnoDrive almost immediately. I have ACC, LKA and ALK which does deliver an autodriving-like experience.
You can disable auto speed changes in InnoDrive, yet maintain all the rest of the driver assistance (including lake keep, slowing down for maneuvers, etc).

Chamo74

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Cross Turismo 4S
Country flag
can someone help me out - i have a new 4s. I dont see tje Porsche Intelligent Range Manager on my window sticker and i dont see it as a option i can purchase online. Am i missing something?
I think there are a bunch of software issues for the ‘22 models and I wonder if they have anything to do with the chip shortage and use of inferior quality« parts »?
In any event, there are several options you can’t even subscribe to if you’re a ‘22 owner….

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
I think there are a bunch of software issues for the ‘22 models and I wonder if they have anything to do with the chip shortage and use of inferior quality« parts »?
In any event, there are several options you can’t even subscribe to if you’re a ‘22 owner….
The Belgian function on demand store now specifically mentions that FOD is temporarily not available for 2022 models.

RobQ

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1973 911, Tycan CT
Country flag
I just drove to Austria and back (from and to The Netherlands), just over 2.200 km and believe me IT SUCKS. Porsche should shame itself to ask Euro 350 for this a an option. You have no controls, no options and run from one surprise into an other. You cannot influence the range you have left at each charging station, you have no choice on preferred chargers nor give preference to charge close to the main highway. It is runisch. We ended up with 12km of range left sometimes, just imagine if you miss an exit or turn. We twice arrived at a charging station with the high speed charger out of order. We ended up in the middle of towns, whilst 20 km further down the road there were perfect charging possibilities . I love the car but the charging software is rubbish.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I just drove to Austria and back (from and to The Netherlands), just over 2.200 km and believe me IT SUCKS. Porsche should shame itself to ask Euro 350 for this a an option. You have no controls, no options and run from one surprise into an other. You cannot influence the range you have left at each charging station, you have no choice on preferred chargers nor give preference to charge close to the main highway. It is runisch. We ended up with 12km of range left sometimes, just imagine if you miss an exit or turn. We twice arrived at a charging station with the high speed charger out of order. We ended up in the middle of towns, whilst 20 km further down the road there were perfect charging possibilities . I love the car but the charging software is rubbish.
The weakness here is not so much the software but a charging database which does not have any and all chargers listed and as a result you can run into challenges.

Better to plan the route before you start to see what charging locations are listed and if less than ideal use the search function and add others as stopovers (for battery pre-conditioning purposes).

Min charge levels can be set for a given destination.

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
How did the car perform for this trip?

I am planning the same trip in a couple of weeks.

Did you use a roof box ?

I looked at it in ABRP and it looks like in Germany almost every gas station along the autobahn also has a fast charger. I think I am going to follow ABRP and use the suggested charge stops an give them in in Porsche navigation. ABPR also shows if the charger is functional and available.

The broken fast chargers where they located on autobahn parkings? Or in a village.

Did you have to wait often to charge because all chargers were taken?

Any other tips for my upcoming journey ?

RBGtaycan

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia EV6; Taycan RWD....Past: 356, Cayman S
Country flag
How did the car perform for this trip?

I am planning the same trip in a couple of weeks.

Did you use a roof box ?

I looked at it in ABRP and it looks like in Germany almost every gas station along the autobahn also has a fast charger. I think I am going to follow ABRP and use the suggested charge stops an give them in in Porsche navigation. ABPR also shows if the charger is functional and available.

The broken fast chargers where they located on autobahn parkings? Or in a village.

Did you have to wait often to charge because all chargers were taken?

Any other tips for my upcoming journey ?
putting a charger in gas stations is so sensible...it is something that we need to do in North America ..what a perfect way to facilitate charging.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
putting a charger in gas stations is so sensible...it is something that we need to do in North America ..what a perfect way to facilitate charging.
I may be wrong (and our Canadian friends can educate us) but I believe there is something similar along main highway in Canada, no?
Sponsored