EVie

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4s
Country flag
Thought you all may be interested in my story.

My 2021 Taycan 4S has the upgraded Thermally & Noise Insulated Glass. Recently 5 cars were burglarized in my community apartment parking garage including my car. The thief broke the driver side windows, dove into the cars and stole whatever he could reach.

When it came to my car, he had issues braking my glass as it didn't shatter and fall to the ground. The Gel sandwiched between the glass (not sure what it is) I'm guessing that keeps it thermally and noise insulated kept the glass together. The thief started kicking my car over and over to break the glass, but really struggled. In the end he did get in and caused almost $8k worth of damage due to interior and exterior damage.

I Tesla that parks next to me caught it all on video (centurion mode). Though the damage was vast, I was laughing at just how much the thief struggled to break my glass and enter my car. Props to the upgraded glass, but sadly it caused more damage than I think normal glass would have.

Pics attached!

Porsche Taycan Burglary Experience With Thermally & Noise Insulted Glass IMG_1006

Porsche Taycan Burglary Experience With Thermally & Noise Insulted Glass IMG_0986

Porsche Taycan Burglary Experience With Thermally & Noise Insulted Glass IMG_0979

aatothek

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
E92 M3, S6 AVANT C7, Taycan GTS (on order)
Country flag
Oh FFS. So sorry to hear this.
Interesting regarding the glass, thanks for sharing, but a real kick in the teeth to have your lovely car vandalised like that.

philbur

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1997 911 C2 (993), 2015 Cayenne S, 1978 VW Bus
Country flag
sorry to hear that! at least it didnt make a big mess with broken glass! hope everything works out with the repair - my wife and I both hit a big pothole (hidden in the shadows under a bridge) and need to go through how much \ what damage we did to our new car.. hurts and feel for you!!

OP
OP
EVie

EVie

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4s
Country flag
Oh FFS. So sorry to hear this.
Interesting regarding the glass, thanks for sharing, but a real kick in the teeth to have your lovely car vandalised like that.
Happy insurance is covering it all and I have a low deductible, but most sad about the parts being back ordered. It's been 30 days since my cars been in the body shop and we think 1-2 more weeks.

• Angry
Reactions: B61

Bigben

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover L405 4.4L SDV8, VW T-ROC R, Yamaha FZ8
Country flag
I believe it’s actually a layer of plastic sandwiched between the glass, and while it caused more damage on this occasion (sickening to see this…), you can see the benefit should you be sat inside and have a collision, 0 debris.
Also in any street vandalism where they need to be quick it would most certainly have acted as a deterrent given how long it takes to gain entry.

Hope you get your Frozen Blue back soon

OP
OP
EVie

EVie

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4s
Country flag
I believe it’s actually a layer of plastic sandwiched between the glass, and while it caused more damage on this occasion (sickening to see this…), you can see the benefit should you be sat inside and have a collision, 0 debris.
Also in any street vandalism where they need to be quick it would most certainly have acted as a deterrent given how long it takes to gain entry.

Hope you get your Frozen Blue back soon

Thank you! I was super impressed to see how the window held up. I think he tried kicking it like 6 times before it finally bent in. Also, great to see the layers of the glass. Thank you for the info and response. Hopefully, my car will be back soon.

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
Volvo advertises with the safety aspect and burglar proof effect of the insulated /laminated glass. Probably the same glass but Porsche doesn’t.
I hope your car will be fixed soon.

Chris8536

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (Sold) X7 M50i (sold) cayenne GTS coupe
Country flag
Guessing you're a student at UC? I got broken into 4 times when I was a grad student over there, poor old E46.

If you're by the highway from the looks of it that homeless camp developing in the roundabouts is extremely bad news -- the worst I've seen in America.

Believe it or not, I left Berkeley for SF about 5 years ago and haven't had anywhere near the same issues.

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I was wondering about this precise scenario as I too have that glass option.

Obviously (maybe not), you can’t go to any random auto glass replacement company, you need Porsche glass from Porsche service, right, to get the same noise insulated glass?

I am amazed at the cost. What damage other than the broken glass was there?

Last edited:

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS E-Tron GT, VW ID.4 Pro
Country flag
Glad insurance is taking care of it.

Another problem is you have marked Carfax

gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
Guessing you're a student at UC? I got broken into 4 times when I was a grad student over there, poor old E46.

If you're by the highway from the looks of it that homeless camp developing in the roundabouts is extremely bad news -- the worst I've seen in America.

Believe it or not, I left Berkeley for SF about 5 years ago and haven't had anywhere near the same issues.
I'm starting to believe that all college campuses are dens of thieves. My grandson is going to the UA. So far two bikes were stolen (cut right through the Kryptonite locks, looks like they used hydraulic cutters, the front wheel was in the dorm, I still have that at least), an Apple watch stolen. Periodically shows up on the Find My App so we may eventually get that back. Even a partially used bag of rice was taken out of the kitchen when he left to use the bathroom. At least they didn't take the rice cooker that was being used to make rice :CWL:

I don't think I'll be parking my new Taycan, when it arrives, anywhere near the campus ?

Fedex77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M3 E92, Range Rover Sport HST
Country flag
Where do you live that a thief can rob so many cars and spend so much time doing so without worry?

OP
OP
EVie

EVie

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4s
Country flag
I was wondering about this precise scenario as I too have that glass option.

Obviously (maybe not), you can’t go to any random auto glass replacement company, you need Porsche glass from Porsche service, right to get the same noise insulated glass.

I am amazed at the cost. What damage other than the broken glass was there?
Damage to window seal, black window sills, door scratches, side mirror chip, interior leather door panel cut, interior fabric torn, kick panel scratched from glass, interior window parts, removal of seats for glass clearing, tinted windows, re-ceramic coating, and door handle.