Car went into neutral then park spontaneously - deja vu all over again

Ambroos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan (RWD)
Country flag
Yeah, if it happened to you, reporting it to the NHTSA is the best course of action. If the NHTSA receives a good stream of complaints they're far more likely to poke Porsche and force Porsche to fix it with a recall. NHTSA collecting VINs can also help figure out exactly which cars are affected.

OP
OP

EVer

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model3
Country flag
Damn. I’m the OP on this issue, as I noted in a later post in this thread Porsche replaced Gateway module which they found (on 2nd visit for this problem) had hundreds of faults. Has not happened since. Also I had the latest software update which I was kinda hoping was to fix this dropping into N/P problem. Now I’m not so sure. Has anyone who did the software update still experienced the problem? I did by the way lodge a NHTSA complaint. Porsche has to fix this, as those who have experienced it can testify, it can leave you in a dangerous situation

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Six NHTSA complaints about this so far, out of a grand total of 10 for 2022 Taycans: https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2022/PORSCHE/TAYCAN/4%2520DR/RWD

I'd expect Porsche to kick into action pretty soon.
Does the problem only happen to 2022 RWD Taycans?

I took another look at NHTSA website. The only model Taycan with complaints about this were all for 2022 Taycan RWD cars.

If this is happening to Taycan of other years or models, I have not seen any such complaints on NHTSA site.

Ambroos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan (RWD)
Country flag
@Tooney The NHTSA website might have things organised badly, I saw them by chance a few days ago. If you look at the actual complaints, there are people mentioning they have this problem in a 4S and a Cross Turismo (which doesn't exist in RWD). It's probably all Taycans from a specific build period (not necessarily linked to the model year, Porsche makes updates continuously).

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Does the problem only happen to 2022 RWD Taycans?

I took another look at NHTSA website. The only model Taycan with complaints about this were all for 2022 Taycan RWD cars.

If this is happening to Taycan of other years or models, I have not seen any such complaints on NHTSA site.
Nope. Check this thread and review members vehicles. Seems very common issue in US however.

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
What exactly happens when it “shifts to park”? Does the car jerk to a halt? Do you just lose some control? Is it brakes or accelerator? Are they just dead pedals?
On my 2022 RWD, the car went from D to (I believe) N when I had stopped in stop and go traffic. This never happened before, most likely because I rarely drive in traffic. It happened twice in about 10 minutes and I was at a full stop when this happened.

I noticed I was not in 'D' when I tried to start moving again and the car didn't move. So I moved the button to 'D' and the car started again. There was no 'jerk' since the car was at a full stop when it seemed to shift out of 'D' and there was no loss in control.

how do you get going again? How quickly do you recover?
There was no delay after I hit 'D'. I did, as usual, have to have my foot on the brake pedal when I shifted to 'D'.

Alias

First Name
Petter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS Sport Turismo
Country flag
Had the same happen to me today in a MY2022 GTS ST. Both D->N and D->P with a jerk. All at low speed, all in Sport mode.

(Key in pocket as always - don't think this is a key connection issue)

800km driven and I think brake bedding is just done. No issues before today.

Will report to dealer tomorrow.

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I noticed I was not in 'D' when I tried to start moving again and the car didn't move. So I moved the button to 'D' and the car started again.
I called my local Porsche service and they asked if the key fob battery was low. I don't think so since its just a few months old. The service person said that if the key fob can't be sensed, the car will go out of Drive. I don't think so but at this point, I'll just keep an eye on it in case it happens again.

ithinkmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'17 3, '22 4S CT, '22 MXP
Country flag
hmm.... not sure, but might be related.

There's a couple of times when I do see an error on the dash saying key missing or something like that. Then later switched into P while moving slow. Coincidence?

and a few times, cannot lock car when standing next to it, non of the buttons on the key worked. but if I opened and shut the door again, the key fob buttons work again.

All these electronic gremlins takes some getting used to. I just want to drive and not deal with stupid small problems.

Well, at least they figured out the interior sensor alarm issue finally. :)

-ThinkMac-

Avantgarde

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' Taycan RWD PB+, 21' X5 Xdrive45e, 09' Cayman
Country flag
Had the same happen to me today in a MY2022 GTS ST. Both D->N and D->P with a jerk. All at low speed, all in Sport mode.

(Key in pocket as always - don't think this is a key connection issue)

800km driven and I think brake bedding is just done. No issues before today.

Will report to dealer tomorrow.
Interesting you say this. Mine also happened right after brake bedding was completed. Wondering if there is a link there

Alias

First Name
Petter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS Sport Turismo
Country flag
Interesting you say this. Mine also happened right after brake bedding was completed. Wondering if there is a link there
To the others that have experienced this as well - can you comment on whether this happened shortly after the brake bedding was done?

CygnusX-1

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
So, I had this situation pop up for the first time today.

I was at a stop light just sitting there. Light turned green. Went to accelerate and no response. Looked down at gear indicator, saw the N, put my foot on the brake, flipped into D and off we went. Elapsed time was less than it took you to read those sentences, so really no disruption to anyone else or me, for that matter.

This thread definitely prepared me for this scenario, so thank you to everyone who surfaced their experiences.

Other facts as you may consider your susceptibility:

1) 4S
2) 200 total miles on the odometer
3) I was in Normal drive mode
4) Chassis set to sport plus
5) I did have a destination plugged into my map
6) the PCM/navigation were acting "funny" when I started the car this morning. super slow nav search to find my destination. Screen population was slow/jumbly. Not enough that I thought it was concerning, but different enough from the handful of other times I've started the car that I noticed it.
7) key fob was in my right front pocket of my jeans

Last edited:

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I was at a stop light just sitting there. Light turned green. Went to accelerate and no response. Looked down at gear indicator, saw the N, put my foot on the brake, flipped into D and off we went. Elapsed time was less than it took you to read those sentences,
I saw this exactly, though I was in stop and go traffic.

Question: where was your key fob? According to my service advisor, the problem is the car not sensing the key fob, at which time it goes out of D into P.
He said the fob sensor is right behind the cup holder and that the battery might be low in the key fob. Or the fob is too far from the fob sensor.

TaycanCook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MG 4S CT
Country flag
I also experienced the car going from D -> N. Noticed the shift as it happened and put it back into D. 600 miles on the odometer and I also saw that I had a notification that Auto Recuperation is not available just before the shift.
Sponsored