22kw upgrade concern appearing on porsche car configurator.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
I wpuod
I am starting to be a little concerned that my experiences – which I have documented as accurately as possible – with no exaggerations – is causing undue worry to potential or existing owners.

And I understand why – nobody wants to spec in an option that makes the car unreliable.

I mostly charge on 1-phase AC – though I reduce the power to 25A at home – the charger for me remains unreliable. And its worth remembering that the last time it failed it was in the middle of a 3-phase 22kW charging cycle. However, the previous day I charged for a few hours on a 1-phase 7kW public charger at a zoo carpark.

I refuse not to charge my car when it needs to – I am not trying to provoke the failures – I just have a view that an EV should not hate electricity!

Either way – I have every confidence that Porsche will get a handle on this and if you do end up with issues then it will be subject to a recall – but the specifics of this are still unclear. For sure, Porsche are not yet in that position.

If I was reading my story – I would put it down to a combination of me mostly 1-phase charging away from home in chargers I don't control.

I optioned the 22kW charger – and I would do it again if a fix comes along – due to the 1000's of public 22kW chargers in towns across Ireland and the still relatively low penetration of fast DC chargers. When our fast DC charging network is rolled out here – then the 22kW charger will diminish in importance for me.

There is only 1 Porsche Centre here in Republic of Ireland – a small island country – so that does help get a handle on the extent of the issue here.

I can share these verbal stats:

There are roughly 110 Taycan's sold in Ireland so far. Of these 12 have specced the 22kW charger. Of those 10 have had it replaced once. I've had it replaced 3 times – which is by far the outlier – but there is a widespread problem with the units based on those numbers.

3-phase residential charging is relatively unheard of here in Ireland – so most people buying the charger will be using it on 1-phase at home and bought it – like me – for emergency public charging in the west of our country which still has sparse DC charging options.

This option remains one that Irish buyers are interested in and enquire about.

I have a new order in the works (https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/taycan-4s-taycan-turbo-s.10428/) and I have left the 22kW charger off the build – for obvious reasons. But the new car won't be manufactured until Q4 of this year – and I and my Porsche Centre are keeping a close eye out for news of a more reliable unit – and will add it to the build if it arrives before production starts.
I wouldn't be concerned that your experiences are causing undue worry to others tigerbalm.

You can only say as you see.

And you have just stated the facts.

I think it wouid have been more remiss, if you had experienced the issues and didn't post about it.

BTW... Have you got your car back yet?
Sponsored

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
I wonder how long before Porsche has a fix for this. There is a possible workaround in a form of an adapter which would allow you to manually limit the charge rate, but I suspect there would not be enough customers for it to make it worth building, certifying, etc.

OP
OP
BigBob

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
I wonder how long before Porsche has a fix for this. There is a possible workaround in a form of an adapter which would allow you to manually limit the charge rate, but I suspect there would not be enough customers for it to make it worth building, certifying, etc.
Would be significantly more preferable if they come up with a fix that allows us to have £1300 of charger upgrade that actually doesn’t require us to take a downgrade in charging speed for most peoples day to day needs. Wish I hadn’t spec’d it.
Someone on the thread did say they’d heard a fix to do just that was close to being released, but as with all of these fixes….

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Would be significantly more preferable if they come up with a fix that allows us to have £1300 of charger upgrade that actually doesn’t require us to take a downgrade in charging speed for most peoples day to day needs. Wish I hadn’t spec’d it.
Someone on the thread did say they’d heard a fix to do just that was close to being released, but as with all of these fixes….
I absolutely sympathize and agree with you. Sadly, Porsche uses a legacy process, which results in less issues in the field, but fixes take a very long time to be deployed (they have to follow process and be thoroughly tested before being allowed on customer cars). Contrast this with Tesla, which deploys fixes over the air within days, but also doesn't test them as thoroughly (it worked on Elon's car this during his morning commute, let's deploy it, if customers find issues we'll fix them over the air quickly again). There has to be some happy middle ground in the middle, but there doesn't seem to be a manufacturer which uses it. Tesla made some progress towards it by letting each customer choose whether they want their cars to run all latest bleeding edge updates, or stable updates which have been deployed previously to the bleeding edge crowd and nobody reported any critical issues. Of course things which cause damage or legal requirements Tesla fixes over the air regardless of customer preferences, or their permission (and sometimes leave the temporary fix in place, only providing long term solution on new cars).

OP
OP
BigBob

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I absolutely sympathize and agree with you. Sadly, Porsche uses a legacy process, which results in less issues in the field, but fixes take a very long time to be deployed (they have to follow process and be thoroughly tested before being allowed on customer cars). Contrast this with Tesla, which deploys fixes over the air within days, but also doesn't test them as thoroughly (it worked on Elon's car this during his morning commute, let's deploy it, if customers find issues we'll fix them over the air quickly again). There has to be some happy middle ground in the middle, but there doesn't seem to be a manufacturer which uses it. Tesla made some progress towards it by letting each customer choose whether they want their cars to run all latest bleeding edge updates, or stable updates which have been deployed previously to the bleeding edge crowd and nobody reported any critical issues. Of course things which cause damage or legal requirements Tesla fixes over the air regardless of customer preferences, or their permission (and sometimes leave the temporary fix in place, only providing long term solution on new cars).
I don’t know much about Tesla. Except the share price anyway!

I’d think the fix would need to be an upgraded part, not just software. But obv in the dark!

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I don’t know much about Tesla. Except the share price anyway!

I’d think the fix would need to be an upgraded part, not just software. But obv in the dark!
A software fix can be a temporary stopgap. Long time Tesla customers here (looking to go back to Porsche, but unfortunately Porsche has been unable to even allocate a car for me for almost a year now). If Porsche followed a Tesla development model, as soon as they discovered the 22KWh charger issue, a software update would have rolled out within days limiting all 22KW chargers to 6KW when charging on a single phase, while a long term solution is being worked on. One drawback to customers though is that if they determine the long term solution requires hardware changes, sometimes they will leave customers with the temporary fix, only offering the hardware fix on new cars.

OP
OP
BigBob

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Software release in next 2-3 weeks apparently. Unclear if OTA or dealership plug-in jobbie.

bosbruce

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2000 Boxster S, 2022 Taycan 4S, 2023 Tesla Plaid S
Country flag
I am starting to be a little concerned that my experiences – which I have documented as accurately as possible – with no exaggerations – is causing undue worry to potential or existing owners.

And I understand why – nobody wants to spec in an option that makes the car unreliable.

I mostly charge on 1-phase AC – though I reduce the power to 25A at home – the charger for me remains unreliable. And its worth remembering that the last time it failed it was in the middle of a 3-phase 22kW charging cycle. However, the previous day I charged for a few hours on a 1-phase 7kW public charger at a zoo carpark.

I refuse not to charge my car when it needs to – I am not trying to provoke the failures – I just have a view that an EV should not hate electricity!

Either way – I have every confidence that Porsche will get a handle on this and if you do end up with issues then it will be subject to a recall – but the specifics of this are still unclear. For sure, Porsche are not yet in that position.

If I was reading my story – I would put it down to a combination of me mostly 1-phase charging away from home in chargers I don't control.

I optioned the 22kW charger – and I would do it again if a fix comes along – due to the 1000's of public 22kW chargers in towns across Ireland and the still relatively low penetration of fast DC chargers. When our fast DC charging network is rolled out here – then the 22kW charger will diminish in importance for me.

There is only 1 Porsche Centre here in Republic of Ireland – a small island country – so that does help get a handle on the extent of the issue here.

I can share these verbal stats:

There are roughly 110 Taycan's sold in Ireland so far. Of these 12 have specced the 22kW charger. Of those 10 have had it replaced once. I've had it replaced 3 times – which is by far the outlier – but there is a widespread problem with the units based on those numbers.

3-phase residential charging is relatively unheard of here in Ireland – so most people buying the charger will be using it on 1-phase at home and bought it – like me – for emergency public charging in the west of our country which still has sparse DC charging options.

This option remains one that Irish buyers are interested in and enquire about.

I have a new order in the works (https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/taycan-4s-taycan-turbo-s.10428/) and I have left the 22kW charger off the build – for obvious reasons. But the new car won't be manufactured until Q4 of this year – and I and my Porsche Centre are keeping a close eye out for news of a more reliable unit – and will add it to the build if it arrives before production starts.
Thanks, Damien, for this nice writeup... Sorry you've run into such problems but hope that doesn't continue!

So I ordered Taycan 4S without the 19.2kW onboard (I guess US spec goes down from 22kW in Europe) so in theory shouldn't have to worry about limiting 7kW charging (I have some Chargepoint locations I use that are 6kW and some that are 7kW ... not sure if they are single phase though), but I'll probably limit it to 6kW or lower just to be super safe... My toy is in production now, getting kind of excited to trade my far more practical and longer range Mustang Mach E (which was preceded by Tesla Model 3 AWD+ that was quicker than Taycan 4S to 60) so I can have the Taycan join my 2000 Boxster S in my garage!

OP
OP
BigBob

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks, Damien, for this nice writeup... Sorry you've run into such problems but hope that doesn't continue!

So I ordered Taycan 4S without the 19.2kW onboard (I guess US spec goes down from 22kW in Europe) so in theory shouldn't have to worry about limiting 7kW charging (I have some Chargepoint locations I use that are 6kW and some that are 7kW ... not sure if they are single phase though), but I'll probably limit it to 6kW or lower just to be super safe... My toy is in production now, getting kind of excited to trade my far more practical and longer range Mustang Mach E (which was preceded by Tesla Model 3 AWD+ that was quicker than Taycan 4S to 60) so I can have the Taycan join my 2000 Boxster S in my garage!
I think there is no need to restrict to 6kw if you have the standard 11kw charger. The 6kw restriction/problems are solely with the 22kw unit, not the 11kw one.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

The problems discussed here are only with the 3 phase European chargers, not the US 19.2KW charger which is a single phase design (since no 3 phase power in residential USA, only a single split phase).

OP
OP
BigBob

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
myporsche.com had been showing 1 safety recall outstanding, which in the description was the reprogramming of the 22kw charger for a few weeks or so. I forget the code.

However, i just had another look and it still shows 1 recall, but it's now the WNJ8 campaign, which i believe is the re-programme of the PCM with the xmas lights etc.

Anyone know if the 22kw fix has been rolled into the big software upgrade? I don't think it has been done ota has it?

The car is going in at the end of the month to have the factory ppf fixed and i wanted them to do the 22kw thing as matter of urgency(and any other software mumble). I fear if it has disappeared of the system they just won't do it/think they need to do it (low faith threshold in them).

Ta.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
Anyone know if the 22kw fix has been rolled into the big software upgrade?
Take what I'm going to say with a pinch of salt: But my Porsche Centre (Dublin) said that it did. I'm just never super confident with what centre's say when it comes to software. They seem as confused as the rest of us!

OP
OP
BigBob

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Take what I'm going to say with a pinch of salt: But my Porsche Centre (Dublin) said that it did.
Thanks. I will ask mine too, but expect whatever the equivalent of a glazed look is over a telephone call. If they pick up of course!