Cross shopping w Lucid

ramib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S
Country flag
Currently a 2020 Tesla S owner. Thinking about something other than the Tesla as I've had one for 9 years and I'm disappointed in the Plaid design. I just LOVE LOVE LOVE the Taycan's design - sexiest sedan ever IMO....But I struggle to rationalize the purchase (looking at a used 2020 Turbo btw). The limited range, older EV architecture and from what I read on forums - glitchy software - are a concern, let alone the $$$ difference. I currently have a Lucid GT on order and need to make a decision soon. I don't love the Lucid design frankly, but it makes sense in every other way. Curious whether other owners went through same analysis? Thank you!
Sponsored

bah1590

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4
Country flag
I think it comes down to what kind of car you want a cruiser or a sports car? IMHO the Taycan is much sportier and will be more fun to drive than the Lucid. The Lucid will likely be more comfortable especially on longer drives. Also the Taycan has the Porsche heritage which to me means a lot. The glitchy software is hit and miss. I have had my Taycan for 5 months with few software issues. The look and drive of the Taycan far outweighs any negatives. I would assume Lucid is also going to experience some of the same glitchiness as the Taycan especially since the Lucid is just rolling out and the bugs haven't yet been discovered.

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
lucid is vaporware until further notice - doesn’t matter how good it is or isn’t - they are delivering in such vanishingly small numbers you just can’t say for sure you can even get one - heaven help you if you have a problem post delivery - service is going to be hellish

lucid is great prototype - not yet an actual series production product - i wish them well - but they are mostly not real at this point in terms of a predictable and normal purchasing and ownership process

TYKHAAAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Ram 2500, Kia EV9
Well, you know with Porsche badge, you get a quality and heritage that is there and you know they will be there for many many more years to come. We can’t say the same for Lucid yet. The new EV companies are struggling. Tesla defied the odds and succeeded, but Elon was smart in the way he ran his business. Lucid/Rivian Etc need to be smarter. I’d hate to put in that kind of money on their car and have the company be gone or sold to another entity that doesnt take care of the cars as they should.

As for the looks, I think the Lucid is an ugly old man looking car on the outside, magnificent and modern on the inside. Not a sports car tho, but that’s ok. All i have are the reviews to go on, and they seem to be having software growing pains as well, but if they stay around and grow and evolve, they’ll work that all out. I’ve had my Taycan a year and half now and yes, some software issues, but all in all, it has been really great. If I had the choice to make again, I’d pick the Taycan.

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
IDGAF about range so I’m personally choosing the sexiest EV in existence. I’m sure I don’t need to say this but that’s not the Lucid. Otherwise I dig the idea of the Lucid overall.

4SJB

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4SCT Mini Cooper S Audi A4 3.0 TDI
Country flag
Salesmen that just take orders and don't care about you, service centres that don't know the meaning of service, ordering processes where your large deposit is held without communication or update for 12 months and counting (2nd Taycan) and software that can be SO annoying.
But every time I get in my 4S I forget it all.
The Lucid is a car, but not an experience.

jvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ice Grey CT4
Country flag
I tend to agree with the sentiment here so far. I've had a Lucid Touring reservation since day 1. I considered the cars about equally desirable prior to taking delivery of my CT, but now, not even close. My Taycan is a great daily driver, which I wasn't sure it would be. As for more spirited driving, I had no idea how intoxicating the Taycan would be. No way the Lucid can compete with that. I really can't see myself in the Lucid after the last four months dailying and road tripping with my CT.

JonS1234

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Model S Plaid, Model X LR
Country flag
Currently a 2020 Tesla S owner. Thinking about something other than the Tesla as I've had one for 9 years and I'm disappointed in the Plaid design. I just LOVE LOVE LOVE the Taycan's design - sexiest sedan ever IMO....But I struggle to rationalize the purchase (looking at a used 2020 Turbo btw). The limited range, older EV architecture and from what I read on forums - glitchy software - are a concern, let alone the $$$ difference. I currently have a Lucid GT on order and need to make a decision soon. I don't love the Lucid design frankly, but it makes sense in every other way. Curious whether other owners went through same analysis? Thank you!
I’m a fully loaded 2020 Taycan Turbo owner that is getting a Lucid Air Grand Touring Performance delivered in two months. After 23000kms these are the reasons why I’m trading the Taycan in:

* Range
* Software
* Straight line performance (1050 bhp), I’ve realized that even with the amazing engineering the Taycan is too heavy and I’m happy just going fast in a straight line for my daily.
* Software, it’s worth mentioning again as words cannot describe how eye wateringly bad PCM is
* My Taycan is going up in value and I feel like ~700 bhp and ~350kms of range wont age well with the current crop of EVs inbound, so I’m getting off at this stop.
* Issues I’ve had - PCM, comms module, reversing cameras - I’m currently driving a $225k CAD car with no rear camera and no line of sight on when it will be repaired
* My dealer is terrible and I’d be happy to be direct again

What I’ll miss:
* The looks! Black exterior with the chalk interior, mission E wheels and carbon fibre everywhere looks 🔥 IMHO

Last edited:

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Well, you know with Porsche badge, you get a quality and heritage that is there and you know they will be there for many many more years to come.
Not always. Sometimes you only get a spot on a waitlist for a quality and heritage and while you know where they will be years to come, you might still be on that waitlist. Granted, the spot on the waitlist is much cheaper (only a few grand deposit, sometimes even free). I just started looking at Lucid primarily because the spots on waitlists are not that fun to drive. That and I might have an opportunity to get one much sooner than a Taycan. I'm not crazy about the exterior look of the Lucid Air (reminds me of old Saturn cars which I was never a fan of), but while driving I don't have to look at it, do I? ;) I can further console myself with the fact that while not looking as good, it packs significantly more power than even the Taycan Turbo S.

The new EV companies are struggling. Tesla defied the odds and succeeded, but Elon was smart in the way he ran his business.
Actually all EV companies, are struggling right now, Porsche included. One of the reasons Tesla succeeded was the fact that they have no legacy to hold them back, so they can pivot quickly to adopt to changing world environment. Only time will tell whether the legacy automakers can shift to a more agile model. I just hope that if they do, they do it better than Tesla, who did it at the cost of customers on a number of occasions.

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
says the 8 month waiting list for a 3/Y build…hmmm
Hmmm.... Just went to tesla.com, clicked custom order model 3, long range is Jul-Oct. The longest wait if on base 3 (Aug-Nov), but performance is even shorter (Jun-Aug).
Porsche Taycan Cross shopping w Lucid 1652570568928

And that's delivery time at MSRP, not allocation or production with ADM. If you have any Taycan wait time data, please share (I couldn't find any estimates on porsche.com). Personally I've spent more time than the longest Tesla delivery estimate just waiting for a Taycan CTT allocation at multiple dealers.

PS> My comment about Tesla agility at the cost of customers was referring to customers getting screwed because Tesla is overly agile and experiments on customers, then leaves them holding the proverbial bag. That is one of the main reasons I started looking at other brands.

Skilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
FWIW if you are measuring range against your Tesla, it's different. Somehow Tesla advertises a 300 miles of range and it delivers 200ish. The Taycan pretty much does what it claims - so for example in a 4S with the performance battery, 250 is easily achieved without hypermiling...and then some.

Skilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Hmmm.... Just went to tesla.com, clicked custom order model 3, long range is Jul-Oct. The longest wait if on base 3 (Aug-Nov), but performance is even shorter (Jun-Aug).
1652570568928.png

And that's delivery time at MSRP, not allocation or production with ADM. If you have any Taycan wait time data, please share (I couldn't find any estimates on porsche.com). Personally I've spent more time than the longest Tesla delivery estimate just waiting for a Taycan CTT allocation at multiple dealers.

PS> My comment about Tesla agility at the cost of customers was referring to customers getting screwed because Tesla is overly agile and experiments on customers, then leaves them holding the proverbial bag. That is one of the main reasons I started looking at other brands.
I just had a conversation with the GM over at Porsche of Fremont CA - hes a good friend. The Taycan has 11 allocations for the remainder of the year across North America. So, not a great situation for those wanting one - and waiting times have continued to protract for his customers with orders in.

Nothing is predictable from his view - for example, he had a couple of cars on the lot that he was expecting to deliver (had called owners); however, he wasn't allowed to release them due to missing Burmester Amps.