Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo 4S
Country flag
My build: PPSUKHN8
Full XPEL PPF coverage​
XPEL Fusion ceramic coating​
Modesta glass coating​

Porsche Taycan My first two days with my Porsche Taycan CT4S Screenshot 2023-01-09 at 21.29.19

• Overall this car is fantastic. It has presence on the road and I’ve had numerous comments re: how wide it is! Not an issue for me coming from an Audi Q7!
  • Handling: This is not a 911 but for a heavy car it handles impeccably on the 21-Inch Cross Turismo Design Wheels. Regardless of mode it offers great confidence and reminds me of my days racing Go karts!
  • Consumption: As expected it is high but I am expecting this to improve once I put up the miles. I’ll keep the tracker below updated so folks can follow it’s progress.
Porsche Taycan My first two days with my Porsche Taycan CT4S Screenshot 2023-01-10 at 19.29.51

• Regen: First experience today at circa 460 km on the clock.
  • PCM: Works well from a navigation perspective. On my limited longer trips I’ve purposely used it and it’s very informative.
  • Public Charging: No issues but the output from any I have tried so far is well below expected. Im not sure if this is the car, the ambient temperatures or charging hardware.
    • 9 Jan — Ionity 350 KW delivered a max of 100KW
    • 10 Jan — ESB ecar 150 KW delivered a max of 74KW

My open questions:
Tyre pressures: What impact do these have on consumption. Mine are currently a little all over the place. I’ll get this resolved later today
Weight: What impact if any does additional passengers (2) and luggage (2 x circa 15kg bags) have?
SOC estimates at destination: Example — On 9 Jan I left on a 200km trip and the PCM suggested i would reach my destination with a 22% SOC. The actual SOC on arrival was 12%. Any Idea why the PCM was out so much?

MrBlueSky

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S
Country flag
Very nice indeed. Mine (CT4S as well) has only just arrived at OPC Belfast so can’t help with the questions but, I’ll keep an interested eye on your tracker as you clock up the kilometres.

Health to enjoy.

kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo ST, Volvo XC90 T8
Country flag
Tyre pressure has an impact on range of its too far off spec, for sure.

Weight will also, of course, have an impact on range. If you’ve loaded the car up with 4 adults and luggage it’s heavier and therefore more power is needed to move the weight.

The answer to your other question has many facets. Did you drive fast? Was the weather particularly cold? Was it windy? Were you more loaded up than previous journeys? I’ve found I usually arrive with better range than the guess-o-meter predicts, but that’s because my car is reasonably new and it’s adjusting to my journeys and driving. It should get more accurate as it builds up a picture of your driving style and journeys.

Donlam

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi e-Tron, Porsche Taycan rwd 23
Country flag
From my previous experience driving an EV for 4 years. Passengers and normal luggage weight would not affect consumption too much. Air density and wind direction do direct affect the kwh/100km.
Charging speed depends on battery temperature and SOC.
I hope it helps and enjoy your CT.

Last edited:

OP
OP
DavidS78

DavidS78

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo 4S
Country flag
My answers to your questions @kempez:

Did you drive fast? - On the speed limits (70% motorway @ circa 120km/hr)(30% regional roads @circa 50km/hr)
Was the weather particularly cold? - Yes! 5 > 8 degree's celsius
Was it windy? 15-20km/hr
Were you more loaded up than previous journeys? Yes - 2 additional ppl and there luggage of about 25kg.

kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo ST, Volvo XC90 T8
Country flag
My answers to your questions @kempez:

Did you drive fast? - On the speed limits (70% motorway @ circa 120km/hr)(30% regional roads @circa 50km/hr)
Was the weather particularly cold? - Yes! 5 > 8 degree's celsius
Was it windy? 15-20km/hr
Were you more loaded up than previous journeys? Yes - 2 additional ppl and there luggage of about 25kg.
Ok. So pretty cold, pretty windy and extra weight. So the guess-o-meter isn’t a seer, those factors probably affected your destination range. Not sure if that’s average in terms of loss for those factors, but at least it accounts for it I guess. 12% is still a decent buffer though.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Public Charging: No issues but the output from any I have tried so far is well below expected. Im not sure if this is the car, the ambient temperatures or charging hardware.
  • 9 Jan — Ionity 350 KW delivered a max of 100KW
  • 10 Jan — ESB ecar 150 KW delivered a max of 74KW
This needs to be a sticky somewhere as it comes up frequently.
To get the max charge rate (up to 270kW):
  • Select the charger from the charger list in the GPS before you arrive. This preconditions the battery.
  • Arrive with 15% SoC or less
  • Use a 350kW dispenser
The closer you get to 100%, the slower the charge speed is.

AV7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
This needs to be a sticky somewhere as it comes up frequently.
To get the max charge rate (up to 270kW):
  • Select the charger from the charger list in the GPS before you arrive. This preconditions the battery.
  • Arrive with 15% SoC or less
  • Use a 350kW dispenser
The closer you get to 100%, the slower the charge speed is.
How does one know if the battery is getting pre-conditioned (if charger was selected from GPS list)?

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
How does one know if the battery is getting pre-conditioned (if charger was selected from GPS list)?
Battery temp gauge on the instrument cluster, you'll see it heat up quite a bit as you approach.

It works best as part of a longer road trip so it has plenty of time to warm it up.

AV7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Battery temp gauge on the instrument cluster, you'll see it heat up quite a bit as you approach.

It works best as part of a longer road trip so it has plenty of time to warm it up.
It seems dependant on how far the charger is like you mention. Wish there was a more definate way(icon on dash or something) that confirmed the pre conditioning.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
It seems dependant on how far the charger is like you mention. Wish there was a more definate way(icon on dash or something) that confirmed the pre conditioning.
Well the easy way is: if it's showing a charge stop on your route, it knows it's a charger and will do the right things. It will also estimate how much you need to charge at that stop to continue on.

So the two ways I can think of:

1. Route a trip that you can't make on one charge
2. Select a charger from the charger filter on the GPS

WattTurbo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Well the easy way is: if it's showing a charge stop on your route, it knows it's a charger and will do the right things. It will also estimate how much you need to charge at that stop to continue on.

So the two ways I can think of:

1. Route a trip that you can't make on one charge
2. Select a charger from the charger filter on the GPS
How fast have you seen the temp gone up before? Even though I can probably drive to the EA station, which is about 4 miles from my house, blind folded I always set the Porsche navigation. It recognizes it as a charge point, and even in sports plus mode it only goes up 1 degree in 4 miles. Is that rate typical?

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
How fast have you seen the temp gone up before? Even though I can probably drive to the EA station, which is about 4 miles from my house, blind folded I always set the Porsche navigation. It recognizes it as a charge point, and even in sports plus mode it only goes up 1 degree in 4 miles. Is that rate typical?
It's something I only mess with on road trips but I've seen it approach high 90F by the time I get to the charger.

What really sucks is rolling up with the heated battery, 5% SoC...and a Chevy Bolt is using the one working 350kW dispenser.
Sponsored