grahamtparker1979

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Decided to sell what is my 4th Taycan and longest one I had (9 months) as I’m going to US for a year for work . Obviously I got carried away on the options but cost me 188k and garage offering me 142k (was 150 two months ago)

Porsche Taycan 45k depreciation in 9 months! IMG_0359
Sponsored

Last edited:

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
You paid retail, you’re selling wholesale. Sell it retail and you’ll likely knock that $43k down to around $28k, which is 15% of original sticker. That’s pretty typical drive off depreciation, particularly for a bloated build.

Tighlines

First Name
Klint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 panamera turbo, 2023 taycan CT 4S
Country flag
Dam, $188k for a 4S!
What box didn't you check...?

No hate here, I kinda like it but that is part of your issue. Those options don't hold their value as well as the car.

Tucson_Jim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan turbo
Country flag
Just picked up a 2021 Turbo with under 4K miles & like new condition for under $130k. Sticker was $178K. Several out there with that depreciation bite in them, but with the price hike on new Taycans, perhaps the market on used will firm up a bit.

Hanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S Carmine Red
Country flag
Not directed at the OP, but in general - Think it safe to say that used Taycan, dare I say it, but starting to ‘flood’ some countries markets, resulting with the not so long ago high residuals, are now a thing of the past.

In the UK where the is a tsunami of high value used EV’s appearing, mainly due to the recent trend increase of the Salary Sacrifice schemes for EV’s, (no deposit/pay before tax/2% tax on benefit/all incl single monthly cost with maint and insurance/no credit checks etc.). This has opened the door to many who would not of been typically in the market for new cars in the £50k/£150k ranges,

I think it safe to say that the Salary Sacrifice scheme, in the UK, will be a major contributor amount of used EV’s and will increase exponentially resulting with the UK second hand market values continuing to drop and may continue to do so for a while.

There was an old saying in UK that mainstream cars lose 20% VAT (tax) as soon as you drove out the show room, with this in mind, I’ve always managed my expectations in two parts -
(1) accepting that any new car I purchase will loose 20% as I drive away and retain approx. 50% value at the 3yr point;
(2) if you don’t want to accept point ‘1’ above, dont put your money in a car but into savings
……thus far, I’ve not exceeded my expectations 😎

PS - just thought of another key element/consideration - addition spec options don’t increase retained value, they just help attract potential buyers. I add options to a build as my personal wants but are in effect like consumables latter down the line/years.

Last edited:

MrBlueSky

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S
Country flag
PS - just thought of another key element/consideration - addition spec options don’t increase retained value, they just help attract potential buyers. I add options to a build as my personal wants but are in effect like a consumables latter down the line/years.
This. I optioned my 4S fairly heavily as I wanted it to be my car, not the next owner's. Most of those options will have little to zero positive impact on the resale value.

Raphie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s (21)
Country flag
Same here, my 4S is 178k with RS Spyder black, hud, Burmester, Carbon Sports, Carbon illuminated doorsills full leather, the headlights. The options make the every day driving experience.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
There was an old saying in UK that mainstream cars lose 20% VAT (tax) as soon as you drove out the show room, with this in mind, I’ve always managed my expectations in two parts -
(1) accepting that any new car I purchase will loose 20% as I drive away and retain approx. 50% value at the 3yr point;
That's pretty much been the rule of thumb in North America (US and Candaa as well). The EV incentives however further add to depreciation though. If you can buy it new for $50K but people (perhaps not you) can get $7,500 in incentives, your car drops $17,500 when you drive it off the lot.

Side note: because not everyone is eligible for EV incentives (income caps for example), that is essentially a government dis-incentive for buying low to mid priced EV's by people in areas with high cost of living. For example, if you make more than $150K before taxes and want to buy a $50K car, the government is incentivizing you buy an ICE car, not an EV, since your EV takes a much bigger hit in depreciation as soon as you get the keys. But hey, it's a democracy, so this is the "will of the people".

Last edited:

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
This. I optioned my 4S fairly heavily as I wanted it to be my car, not the next owner's. Most of those options will have little to zero positive impact on the resale value.
Mine wasn't that heavily optioned but I made it the way I wanted regardless of what subsequent buyers may think of it in the future. Some of my choices may have a negative impact on resale value!
I do plan to keep it a long time though.