DarthRaider81

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Taycan 4S, '18 Macan GTS, '18 RS5, '10 FX35S
Country flag
I am totally split between them all. I have Silver and Blue but never Red - Oh no, I am starting to think red :devil:
Honestly, Carmine Red is soooooo beautiful. You’ll be a magnet for cops and the general public alike, but it looks so good on my wife’s Macan, and on a car like the Taycan I’m sure it will look just as stunning.

For your viewing pleasure:
Sponsored

MARTY7

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3P. Fiat 595 Abarth, Audi S8 (Stage 2), DeLorean (Stage 3), Cayenne V8
Country flag
Honestly, Carmine Red is soooooo beautiful. You’ll be a magnet for cops and the general public alike, but it looks so good on my wife’s Macan, and on a car like the Taycan I’m sure it will look just as stunning.

For your viewing pleasure:
It looks so good in this video.

DarthRaider81

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Taycan 4S, '18 Macan GTS, '18 RS5, '10 FX35S
Country flag
It looks so good in this video.
You honestly can’t go wrong with either of the colors you suggested. I went to the dealership yesterday because my Gentian Blue 4S just came in(!) and the color is really sharp. The best part is, it kind of changes in different lighting. In the sun it has a really vibrant blue and in the shade it’s like a dark blue.

Porsche Taycan Taycan 4S First Thoughts 9317259F-0A0B-4026-8680-7AC17D06FF8C

MARTY7

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3P. Fiat 595 Abarth, Audi S8 (Stage 2), DeLorean (Stage 3), Cayenne V8
Country flag
You honestly can’t go wrong with either of the colors you suggested. I went to the dealership yesterday because my Gentian Blue 4S just came in(!) and the color is really sharp. The best part is, it kind of changes in different lighting. In the sun it has a really vibrant blue and in the shade it’s like a dark blue.

9317259F-0A0B-4026-8680-7AC17D06FF8C.jpeg
Simply beautiful. I think I am getting one, its just a matter of config now. I have to confess Red is a real lure! Its hilarious looking at my original post which was trying to stop me buying one :CWL:

MARTY7

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Nope its blue, definitely blue. Phew that took 2 days.

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Audi E-tron
Country flag
Simply beautiful. I think I am getting one, its just a matter of config now. I have to confess Red is a real lure! Its hilarious looking at my original post which was trying to stop me buying one :CWL:
Sorry we convinced you. We just cost you a lot of money. ;)

Carmine Red is one of the best Porsche colors. It looks great on the Taycan.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I don't really understand the cross-shopping and comparisons between the Model 3 and Taycan. It's like comparing a Subaru WRX and a BMW 8-series grand coupe. I get they are both electric cars, but that and 4 wheels are about the only thing they have in common.

The Model S is at least similar in size and closer in price. Although it's a level or two below in luxury, driving, and fit/finish.
Totally true!

If you really, really want an electric car, and that's all it's about, get a Tesla hands down. They are the best "EV" currently for sale.
Totally wrong! In my option they are the worst EVs you can currently buy. I understand that in the US there is hardly any choice. But in the EU it is different, look at the stats in Norway. In China, there is so much choice and almost all of these brands know how to produce a quality car.

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Audi E-tron
Country flag
Totally wrong! In my option they are the worst EVs you can currently buy. I understand that in the US there is hardly any choice. But in the EU it is different, look at the stats in Norway. In China, there is so much choice and almost all of these brands know how to produce a quality car.
Valid point. In the US we don't have a lot of options for EV's and due to long driving distances Tesla has a major advantage with their charging network. If that advantage goes away then they might struggle.

I will say outside of build quality, they still get a lot of stuff right when it comes to the UX and their app for example. Porsche's EV app honestly sucks, and I wish I had a simple Tesla-like app for my Taycan. Same with Audi (it's actually worse).

We will see if Tesla makes any real announcements on Tuesday (battery day), but otherwise 2021 could turn out to be a tough year for them. Lot's of new EV's coming to market in the US.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Porsche's EV app honestly sucks... Same with Audi (it's actually worse).
Yes, the app here in China is a total bust. Why release something which NEVER works?

But I think the tech in the VW ID.3 looks promising, and that should apply to all the cars based on their MEB platform.

taycantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model X, 2020 Taycan 4S+
Country flag
Adding my thoughts so far to this thread... I've had my 4S for just over three weeks now. With no work commute currently and our region covered in smoke recently, I've accrued 314 miles to date with driving mainly on weekends. My car is now in for PPF and tint, so it's a wait once more before I drive it again.

Here's my build: http://www.porsche-code.com/PL1WTIF1

Attached are a couple pictures of the interior... I went with a red leather + neodyme combination that doesn't seem to be too common. All black was too monochromatic to me, and the dark silver highlights didn't look too different than the default black.
Porsche Taycan Taycan 4S First Thoughts APC_0279

Porsche Taycan Taycan 4S First Thoughts APC_0278

Features I would omit
- LKA, but that wasn't an individual line item

Features I didn't choose, but maybe I should have
- You all seem to like the massage function. Maybe I should have sat in a car in the dealership that had this function (not necessarily Taycan) to check it out.
- Burmester? Again, maybe I should have taken the time to listen to this. But the Bose certainly seems more than 'good enough', and I think the Burmester may be overkill for the streaming and default quality Apple Music files that I would be playing.

Taycan / Model X Comparison
For comparison, we've had a Model X 100D for about two years now, and even after having the Taycan I will say that the Model X is still a great car. It could be because we haven't had any major issues with it, but that's our experience.

Comparison of the Driving experience
Taycan
- It's a much more engaging driving experience - the car being low to the ground, the tight coupling of the steering wheel, PDCC keeping the car flat, even the default motor sound. It's much more fun to drive, even though the Model X is not pedestrian by any means.
- I've used the traffic aware cruise control briefly, seemed to work fine
- LKA is a nag. At least the sound it makes is subtle.
- RWS is excellent for both winding curves and for parking lots

Tesla Model X
- It's no slouch, even though this is not the Performance version. If you want a spot in highway traffic, you just think it and you are there.
- One pedal driving is great. I get Porsche's opposition to this philosophy, but it's a driver friendly feature.
- Automatic hold when stopped also is a great commute-friendly feature
- The Model X is in no danger of flipping, but you do sense the weight when going around corners at speed
- After driving with the Taycan's motor sound, the Tesla does sound oddly quiet and perhaps a little disconnected, although this is countered by the immediacy of the motor response
- Traffic aware cruise control works very well
- The Model X has a worse nag in the front collision avoidance function. It's both much too sensitive (goes off when a car ahead is slowing to turn, for example), and the sound it makes is a shrill klaxon.

Comparison of Infotainment
Taycan
- I like dedicated buttons/switches for key items, which the Taycan has. I don't have to go through menus to change the fan speed or turn on seat ventilation. Raising the car is a dedicated button. And so on.
- Haptic feedback is great to confirm that your press was registered.
- There's a bit more of buried menus for the low level options, but overall I think Porsche has done a good job to give dedicated buttons to those options you'd use on the fly or change frequently, while burying those options you might set one time or rarely, into menus/submenus.
- I appreciate having Apple Music, as a current subscriber. But it doesn't do a good job of buffering, so if you start the car in a garage where it may not see LTE, Apple Music won't show. Or if you park and come back later, it'll restart a playlist at the top, not where you left off.
- Apple CarPlay is a big positive, if to give more options for music and nav. Too bad it doesn't come over to the driver screens.
- No connection to your home wifi
- It has the problem a number of cars have where music via Bluetooth is played at a lower volume, so you must turn it up. But then if you switch to another source it will immediately be too loud

Tesla Model X
- No Apple CarPlay, so you're reliant on Tesla's nav. For the most part, it's fine, but sometimes you wonder if Waze might have found a better path for you.
- It's easy to look up directions on your phone in advance and send them to your car before a drive.
- Connection to your home wifi facilitates huge OTA sizes and makes it easy to interact with the car without having to go out to it (adjust charge level, send directions, precondition the temp, etc)
- Bluetooth is good in that music from Bluetooth vs radio vs data streaming all have the same volume gain levels
- No haptic feedback means if you're doing something while driving you may end up poking the screen a few times to get it to register, because your eyes are on the road and where you're pressing is just a little bit off
- Buried in menus: Changing vehicle height, suspension response, turning the lights on/off, seat heater
- OTAs have added new features over time
- Useful: Sentry mode, dashcam, small efficiency improvements
- Not useful: Lane change warning, Autosense wipers
- OK: Arcade games, Netflix when parked

Comparison of Charging
Taycan
- I haven't tried to use EA yet. Although the stories here from others don't quite inspire confidence.
- The charging experience at home is needlessly overcomplicated. You need to set up a Profile and you need to set up a Timer in order to identify a final charge level. It's not as intuitive as Tesla's approach. Want to change on the fly? No, you have to change the profile or timer settings, diving into menus each time. And then hope those 12V problems have truly been solved.

Tesla
- Supercharger simply works. The problems I see Tesla owners having is mainly one of popularity, where a waiting line can form. We have yet to run into that issue.
- The experience at home or at a Supercharger is simple. Plug in and that's it, it gets going. Want to adjust the target level or delay the time? The screen that comes up in the car lets you. Or you can do that in the app by dragging a slider that is there.

Comparison of the interior
Taycan
- Armrest is set too far back to access conveniently. It's easier to use your opposite hand (left hand for U.S.) to open it.
- The rear window is small, but you quickly get used to it. It isn't a problem to me.
- Some reviews have commented that the B pillar can get in the way upon exit, but I haven't found that to be the case at all. Maybe if you are taller and sit farther back? For reference, I'm 5' 10" (1.79m).
- Rear passenger floor vents seem prone to collecting dirt down in there

Tesla Model X
- Armrest has no storage
- High forehead windshield can get warm, and a bit bright when the sun is positioned there
- Vegan leather interior is fine. You don't get stuck to them in the summer like car interiors of decades past.

Comparison of Utility, Comfort/Assistance
Taycan
- The Connect app could do a lot more. Being able to turn on the climate remotely is a useful function, as is having other items like position, battery state, recent drive efficiencies. But otherwise you can't do a lot with it.
- I feel that not being able to connect to your home wifi is a miss. My car can get an LTE signal outside the garage, but not always in it. This means that those functions that rely on LTE don't get enabled until I'm down the road long enough for the car to establish the connection.
- Missing OTA though
- I like surround view so far. The Taycan is white, like mine. The front view camera during parking is great to avoid scraping on a curb or concrete block.
- The rear view camera is fine, mainly it's the distorted perspective I don't like.
- Trunk power close is very sensitive, refuses to close even on paper grocery bags that are not full.
- Speaking of the trunk, the incessant beeping on both opening and closing is indeed annoying. Might look at unclipping it like @louv did.
- I'm very surprised that the doors don't have a soft close feature.

Tesla Model X
- Tesla app allows for control of climate, locking the doors if you forgot, opening the frunk/trunk
- It's a big car that can carry a good amount of people/items. The 2nd row captain's chair option doesn't fold, though.
- Powered front doors are interesting. On the flip side, the door motor works against you too much if there is a wall detected.
- Tesla app and in-car displays correctly show the car's color and even the wheels.

Comparison of Quality/Reliability
Taycan
- Got a message once about a rear light bar problem. Hasn't come back after parking.
- Music playback abruptly changed to satellite radio once.

Model X
- No quality issues we could see. The black plastic trim over the front wheels seems like you can push on it a bit more than you should. The outside door buttons feel a bit thin.
- MCU has crashed on occasion, but not in some time. The frequent OTAs give some sense that bugs are getting fixed often.
- The seal on one falcon door needed adjusting to stop pouring water inside when opening after rain, and one proximity sensor was a bit balky, but that's about it.

Overall... more than happy with both.

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
The Taycan doesn't have brake hold by just stepping on the brake firmer when stopped like my Macan? Any other folks who've had other Porsche's try it with the Taycan?

Persuader

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s, Range Rover Sport, Jaguar F-Type, Renault Kangoo
Country flag
The Taycan doesn't have brake hold by just stepping on the brake firmer when stopped like my Macan? Any other folks who've had other Porsche's try it with the Taycan?
Mine does.

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag

taycantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model X, 2020 Taycan 4S+
Country flag
Mine does.
My understanding is that there is a Hold function in the Taycan, but only for upward slopes. The Model X will Hold at any stop regardless of the grade. Are you able to get your Taycan to hold at any stop (maybe I'm not jamming firmly enough on the brake pedal)?

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
My understanding is that there is a Hold function in the Taycan, but only for upward slopes. The Model X will Hold at any stop regardless of the grade. Are you able to get your Taycan to hold at any stop (maybe I'm not jamming firmly enough on the brake pedal)?
I had to chuckle a bit. I didn't think that having to keep your foot on a car's brake was a bad feature. In any event the Taycan can hold at any stop regardless of the grade. Just hit the button with the big P.
Sponsored