4S Range is never more than 170 miles on a full charge.

lornes

First Name
Lorne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 Targa, Panomera and Taycan
Country flag
I live in Toronto and I have found that I rarely get more than 170 miles on a full charge. I have the Performance battery plus version. I usually keep the car on regenerative and rarely use the seat heaters. Any suggestions on the disparity of range compared to other postings? . I have seen many postings of 200 miles plus. Can the cold weather have anything to do with this?
Sponsored

Bsteffes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 S (s) Cayenne S, Taycan 4s, GT4 clubsport
Country flag
I only get 185 miles @ 85%. I have had mine since late August. But it’s normally pretty warm here (FL). I’ve not had to use the seat heaters until this week. I have the exclusive wheels with sunmer tires. About to tick 3k miles. my individual mode is with the sport plus chassis and sport suspension. Low height.
it is what it is....kept waiting to get more....but I don’t drive conservatively.

r553

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
981 Spyder, 2015 Cayenne Diesel, 2020 Taycan 4s
Country flag
What size battery do you have in your car(s)? In the US we were forced to buy the Performance Plus battery ( 93 KW ). I'm in FL and regularly see over 300 miles on a full charge. I agree the winter is probably the cause.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
What do you mean by 170 miles?

How are you measuring? What's the temperature?

Seems very very low.

Last edited:

robdds

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, Tesla Model S, soon Taycan 4S
Country flag
I live in Toronto and I have found that I rarely get more than 170 miles on a full charge. I have the Performance battery plus version. I usually keep the car on regenerative and rarely use the seat heaters. Any suggestions on the disparity of range compared to other postings? . I have seen many postings of 200 miles plus. Can the cold weather have anything to do with this?
From my experience with Tesla I lose about 20%-25% in range during winter. It gets worse if I go uphill during the colder temps. I notice this if the temperature dips below 40 degrees Fahrenheit. What helped for winter months is to prep the battery to have it warm prior to driving in the cold. By having the car plugged in and charging up to the point of driving keeps the car's battery warmed up.

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
Posted them several places, but I have another datapoint at 20F ( -7C) today. All datapoints on highway on range mode, cruise control at 73 mph (118 km/h). Estimated total range at 20F: 213 miles.

Porsche Taycan 4S Range is never more than 170 miles on a full charge. 1608935487837

Porsche Taycan 4S Range is never more than 170 miles on a full charge. 1608935552174

Wendal

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan, Taycan 4s
Country flag
I would say its because of the cold. But there are some other factors:

-Did you just buy the car?
-Is the car parked indoor/outdoor?
-Do you use the preheat?

Also wondering why you’re running in miles?

OP
OP

lornes

First Name
Lorne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I would say its because of the cold. But there are some other factors:

-Did you just buy the car?
-Is the car parked indoor/outdoor?
-Do you use the preheat?

Also wondering why you’re running in miles?
Car parked indoors. I have had the car since September and rarely use preheat.

I just used miles for easier feedback. But the range rarely exceeds 300 KM

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Car parked indoors. I have had the car since September and rarely use preheat.

I just used miles for easier feedback. But the range rarely exceeds 300 KM
What range are you referring to? The range meter? Trip computer calculations? How did you calculate that number?

Also are you talking about single long trips or cumulative city driving?

OP
OP

lornes

First Name
Lorne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
What range are you referring to? The range meter? Trip computer calculations? How did you calculate that number?

Also are you talking about single long trips or cumulative city driving?
Cumulative city and highway driving. I am using the trip computer/Porsche connect app (since charging) to get the data.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Cumulative city and highway driving. I am using the trip computer/Porsche connect app (since charging) to get the data.
So, for cumulative driving the range will be much lower than "max distance" range. Every time you turn off/on the car you get a massive spike of inefficiency, in the cold this alone can burn 2-5% of the battery.

I get about 170-180 "range" on cumulative daily driving but 230 "max range" for trips with no or one stop in about 40 F weather. That will drop if colder but I'd be surprised if anyone had sub 200 mile "max range" unless single figits or below 0 F.

You should also find long drives to be very consistent, once the battery is warm & at a steady speed it's very efficient. This can take 15 or 20 miles before you see better numbers.

OP
OP

lornes

First Name
Lorne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So, for cumulative driving the range will be much lower than "max distance" range. Every time you turn off/on the car you get a massive spike of inefficiency, in the cold this alone can burn 2-5% of the battery.

I get about 170-180 "range" on cumulative daily driving but 230 "max range" for trips with no or one stop.
thank you. That make's sense

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
Use also the timers in order to get the battery warmed up before you leave in the morning. As pointed our by @PanameraFrank efficiency increases substantially with a warm battery.

OP
OP

lornes

First Name
Lorne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Use also the timers in order to get the battery warmed up before you leave in the morning. As pointed our by @PanameraFrank efficiency increases substantially with a warm battery.
are you referring to departure timer in Porsche app? Should I engage it even If I am not charging the battery? I usually charge the battery ONLY when it's low ?
Sponsored