KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
Well, this has been strange for me.

• Wireless CarPlay. I connected my phone to Bluetooth - CHECK. I then I used the phone via wired CarPlay for a different trip - CHECK. I check devices, and I see an option next to my phone for CarPlay. I touch it, nothing happens. The next time I am in the car, wireless CarPlay works! Weird.
  • Passenger Display. Funny thing for me is that the standby mode check box stays unchecked. However, the Passenger Display will revert to the Taycan screen whenever the car is moving. Peculiar behavior, but I will look to see if that behavior changes over time like the CarPlay.
  • Speedometer Enhancements. The speedo seems to have slight enhancements, with more information in the ring of the central speedo, as it dynamically shows you when you are regenerating and using power. It is certainly possible that I just never noticed this before, but that is what I am seeing now.
  • Central Display Menu Change. I thought it interesting that they removed the "partially shown next row" in the icon view. I didn't feel strongly about this one, but I know others did.

Overall, however, I am pleased with the update. Although I wasn't really having any problems before, so it is kind of difficult for me to even evaluate fixes.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Whooohaaa!
It seems Porsche listened to my email.
Great!
I'll try it asap!
In fact...... I'm off RIGHT NOW!
Ok, I'm back.
I managed to get it working!
But.....
Second time, no luck.
After several attempts (with some time between them) it did work again.
Hmmm, very random behavior...
Someone knows a step by step procedure?
On middle screen? on passenger screen?
In reverse? In drive?
What when reverse, stop and back to drive?
I tried so many things I don't know the right order anymore...

dnanian

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Tesla Model S, BMW i3
Country flag
So, having spent a day with the new update, I think they've made a ton of changes here. A lot of it is subtle (better and faster animations, more responsive to touch, suggested content, proper CarPlay tile in the Home screen and binnacle) and a lot is purely visual (proper car status picture when you manually raise the spoiler, subtle use of translucency in some areas like the "Stop" button in Navigation, animation when first booting PCM with spectral highlights on "Porsche", different handling of exits in navigation), but all together there's almost nothing that hasn't been touched in some way. Even Comfort Access works better.

From a driving perspective, it's clear they've tweaked power distribution a bit, there's less motor whine, dynamics are tightened up a bit, hill hold "releases" much more smoothly. Lots of little things that are hard to quantify here.

Not to mention the OTAs that are enabled, at least for PCM's own functionality. Just got another one today. So fixes can be rolled out, at least for non-drivetrain stuff.

Whereas before the new PCM was "functional-but-rough" and felt like they just had to ship it or delay the car's first year release, now it feels like it's had an appropriate polish. It's a huge improvement.

That said, a few disappointments:
  • The Connect app's lock/horn/flash buttons aren't there for 2020 models, even though they really should be. This feels like they're checking the wrong thing (eg MY=2021 instead of "Software version x"), since it'd be dumb to withhold something so small from 2020 users.
  • No new FODs available for 2020. Even though we've got the hardware for it, we can't buy 2021s new parking assistant, power steering assist, etc. You'd think they'd want our (potential) money
  • Along similar lines, even though someone else on the forum (can't find the post) said they were able to purchase the tethering data package for their 2020, it's not available to me...it's in the PCM, but it says it needs a data package purchase, but that's not in the connect store for my VIN.
  • The Calendar doesn't properly handle repeating events (eg "every thursday from 4/1 -> 5/7" skips 4/1)
  • The News section has nothing in it, and searching for sources does nothing. Which I guess is better than before, when it only had stuff in German.
  • Wireless CarPlay works for me, but usually doesn't reconnect after returning to the car.
  • SmartLift doesn't seem to work for me. I can "memorize" going up at the bottom of my driveway, but, well, it doesn't go up. I don't know why.
I could go on with some of the more obscure stuff, but as you can see, the majority of things are either "aww" or "minor" things.

Point being, kudos to Porsche for following through and making a great car even better.

Last edited:

RRVV17

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, GLS580
Country flag
Ok, I'm back.
I managed to get it working!
But.....
Second time, no luck.
After several attempts (with some time between them) it did work again.
Hmmm, very random behavior...
Someone knows a step by step procedure?
On middle screen? on passenger screen?
In reverse? In drive?
What when reverse, stop and back to drive?
I tried so many things I don't know the right order anymore...
seems to default back to standby mode after turning car off/on again. I had to uncheck the "standby" box for the passenger screen again, via the middle screen, under settings/displays. I can only do it while in park and not once I put it into drive and start moving. Maybe they only read "half" of your email :)

Reactions: Dee

RRVV17

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, GLS580
Country flag
Sorry to say this, but I still feel no use of the display. All my passenger use their phone all the time.
I don't necessarily disagree. Was just pointing out the change in functionality.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
So, having spent a day with the new update, I think they've made a ton of changes here. A lot of it is subtle (better and faster animations, more responsive to touch,
Point being, kudos to Porsche for following through and making a great car even better.
Thanks! Now you really get me excited about this update...

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
seems to default back to standby mode after turning car off/on again. I had to uncheck the "standby" box for the passenger screen again, via the middle screen, under settings/displays. I can only do it while in park and not once I put it into drive and start moving. Maybe they only read "half" of your email :)
I can understand why and how they've designed it now.
It's a safety issue in many countries.
You have to specifically go through a procedure manually to activate it every single time.
Indeed, it goes automatically into a checked state once you'll go into park (not "Hold").
Maybe that's what I did wrong.
It felt like you can only do this once, not sure yet.

WalterG

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4S
Country flag
OMG - PLUG AND CHARGE WORKS WITH EA!!!
I went to an EA station today, plugged in, the station immediately started whirring, and it quickly and successfully initiated a charging session. No fumbling with the app etc. Just plug and charge :)

I brought the car in for the update Monday. They found a bad OTA but were able to upgrade everything else and I got the car back Friday. Pretty happy with the update so far. I can't do anything from the app due to the bad OTA module but everything else seems to be working. I won't repeat the comments here but the PCM is noticeably more responsive. I also noticed that when the PMCC completes a charge now the handle unlocks - no need to push the release button.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
MY 2020 or 2021 notes please for people reporting plug & charge is ”working”

and I thought it was confirmed Plug & Charge can’t be retrofitted on to MY 2020 vehicles

I’m very very please this is working for some people - just trying to get the facts of the situation so we all know what to expect.

raymort

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo 2020
Country flag
MIne now works while driving. I will say, however, that after having another day with it, the setting seems to default back to standby mode when car is turned off/on again. I can only turn it on (disable standby) when car is in park, but once you do, it keeps working while driving.
Same for me!

I think this feature is disabled in the US. I can't get it to work once in drive.

raymort

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo 2020
Country flag
Well, this has been strange for me.

• Wireless CarPlay. I connected my phone to Bluetooth - CHECK. I then I used the phone via wired CarPlay for a different trip - CHECK. I check devices, and I see an option next to my phone for CarPlay. I touch it, nothing happens. The next time I am in the car, wireless CarPlay works! Weird.
  • Passenger Display. Funny thing for me is that the standby mode check box stays unchecked. However, the Passenger Display will revert to the Taycan screen whenever the car is moving. Peculiar behavior, but I will look to see if that behavior changes over time like the CarPlay.
  • Speedometer Enhancements. The speedo seems to have slight enhancements, with more information in the ring of the central speedo, as it dynamically shows you when you are regenerating and using power. It is certainly possible that I just never noticed this before, but that is what I am seeing now.
  • Central Display Menu Change. I thought it interesting that they removed the "partially shown next row" in the icon view. I didn't feel strongly about this one, but I know others did.

Overall, however, I am pleased with the update. Although I wasn't really having any problems before, so it is kind of difficult for me to even evaluate fixes.
My pax display does the same as yours. I think this may be a US requirement.

I haven't seen any changes to the speedo. I have noticed the right dial showing enhance lane change designations from the navigation unit helping you know which are the turn lanes.

raymort

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo 2020
Country flag
It's indeed a bit of fiddling but I can confirm it works.
Today I drove with it on all the time.
Can someone provide some instructions for how you get it to work?

When I start the car, press the button on the lower console display and turn off standby mode. As soon as I put the car in drive, it immediately turns on standby mode and won’t allow you to disarm it.

Maybe there is an additional setting some where.
Sponsored