OP
OP

mandoyoda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
I don't understand this, it should be heavier because there's more weight up front?
Before driving the 4S, I thought the same. My sales agent told me the 4S steering would be lighter, and he was spot on - it's subtle but it's there. I thought the 4S was equipped with Power Steering Plus, but according to the sales agent, the front motor pulls the front wheels.

Maybe someone else can shed some light.
Sponsored

jimithing

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Macan Turbo, 2014 Panamera GTS
Country flag
I don't understand this, it should be heavier because there's more weight up front?
It's all computers anyway. Just a design decision of how to tune the steering for each model. Probably more boost on the 4S to counteract what would otherwise be a heavier feel due to the front motor weight.

Icyfraser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 2WD
Country flag
My first Porsche is the RWD Taycan. I've had powerful cars before and most recently a Jaguar F Type. I always felt the traction on that Jag was not as good and never felt as confident in corners. With the Taycan, it's properly planted and feel you can use all the power. I test drove the 4S but couldn't the RWD as there was no demo so it was a bit of leap of faith. No regrets about the power as unless you're a boy racer off the lights, you've way more than enough power when you need it

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
My first Porsche is the RWD Taycan. I've had powerful cars before and most recently a Jaguar F Type. I always felt the traction on that Jag was not as good and never felt as confident in corners. With the Taycan, it's properly planted and feel you can use all the power. I test drove the 4S but couldn't the RWD as there was no demo so it was a bit of leap of faith. No regrets about the power as unless you're a boy racer off the lights, you've way more than enough power when you need it
I am coming from a 2016 BMW M2 (manual) to a Taycan RWD and just comparing some stats.....

The Taycan is heavy and hence 0—60 times aren't flattering.

Real World comparison I found (80-12kmh) the Taycan is actually slightly faster.

RWDGen

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Small world, I'll give you a wave if I see you on the M8 ?

RickDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
0-60 5.4 seconds is slow, very slow, however once is going it’s feel fine. Perhaps an OTA update will make the car faster In the 4“ ish ( wishful thinking as happened to Tesla S 75D 1“ second less faster after update from 5.1 to 4.1)

OP
OP

mandoyoda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
4S is probably the sweet spot in the range.

Here’s hoping Porsche can do some magic with a software update. I’m happy to cruise in the meantime.

MeMyselfAndI

First Name
Pieter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan (MY 21)
Country flag
I’m currently driving a M2, ordered my RWD, but still doubting to change to 4S because I’m reading mixed reviews.
Upgrading to 4S would cost me an additional 15000€ and I really don’t know if that would be worth it…
Now with my M2, after a couple of weeks I didn’t mind dragging at red lights…
Doubting… ?

Last edited:

RBGtaycan

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia EV6; Taycan RWD....Past: 356, Cayman S
Country flag
I’m currently driving a M2, ordered my RWD, but still doubting to change to 4S because I’m reading mixed reviews.
Upgrading to 4S would cost me an additional 15000€ and I really don’t know if that would be worth it…
Now with my M2, after a couple of weeks I didn’t mind dragging at red lights…
Doubting… ?
I actually traded in my 2020 M2 for a Taycan RWD..M2 slightly faster off the line but I find the Taycan a much better car overall so far (among other things, the M2 ride was very harsh). Ask me in a year if I still feel this way!

MeMyselfAndI

First Name
Pieter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan (MY 21)
Country flag
I actually traded in my 2020 M2 for a Taycan RWD..M2 slightly faster off the line but I find the Taycan a much better car overall so far (among other things, the M2 ride was very harsh). Ask me in a year if I still feel this way!
I don’t have a year, only until end of June. ? probably will stick to rwd taycan. Being faster at the red lights a dozen of times probably isn’t worth 15k imho… ?

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I don’t have a year, only until end of June. ? probably will stick to rwd taycan. Being faster at the red lights a dozen of times probably isn’t worth 15k imho… ?
Plus Taycan has so much more to offer in terms of driving dynamics. Tried drifting?

ives

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 4 Gran Coupe, Taycan 4S on order
Country flag
Had the opportunity to drive the RWD and 4S back to back today. In either trim, it's a fantastic car that drives and handles extremely well, feels premium and turns heads. However, the pace of the base model, even in sport mode, felt a bit disappointing, even without having driven the 4S. Maybe if you are an experienced journalist, you'll drift this car around the corner but as your average driver, I preferred the faster response and agility of the 4S. If it's worth 20k extra is each to it's own, of course!

OP
OP

mandoyoda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
I felt the speed of the base model was okay, but for the cost, I guess was expecting a little more punch. I still went with the RWD because I cruise and I wanted to get some options.

Gubbjaevel

First Name
F
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TaycanT'20
Country flag
Before driving the 4S, I thought the same. My sales agent told me the 4S steering would be lighter, and he was spot on - it's subtle but it's there. I thought the 4S was equipped with Power Steering Plus, but according to the sales agent, the front motor pulls the front wheels.

Maybe someone else can shed some light.
Taycan base (RWD): 2050 Kg / 344 Nm = ~6 Nm/kg (or ~160 gram performed work for each Nm)
Taycan 4S (AWD): 2220 Kg / 650 Nm = ~3,4 Nm/kg (or ~290 gram performed work for each Nm)

<3 Science.

Ps. The math > 4S doesn't justify the price. But the experience do.
Sponsored

Last edited: