Klepper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
Indeed - as I have commented in the forum before, based on forum reports, CA seems to have the worst experiences with EA's infrastructure and not at all sure why (were these the first deployed?).

But here in TX I've used 8 different EA stations and 13 charging sessions in my first year of ownership and to my recollection I only encountered one station with charging unit down (actually working but at half power) and on one other occasion saw a service tech servicing two units in a 10 bank layout. Further, every single PnC session has worked seamlessly for me.

So clearly EA's issues are either not universal or there is a lag and TX is about to get hit - who knows :) - but def hoping for a better nationwide fix with time!
I have had almost the identical experience. Texas EA stations seem to be working well.
Sponsored

JRNJTAYCAN

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan, 22 Q5, 95 F150 Flair Side
Country flag
These can not come fast enough! In 2022 one of every five cars sold in the US was an electric vehicle. I am having to now wait most of the time when I pull up to an EA station. The two stations near my house only have 4 chargers each and within the past few months both places I charge I now have to wait.

Bring on the larger stations......

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
These can not come fast enough! In 2022 one of every five cars sold in the US was an electric vehicle. I am having to now wait most of the time when I pull up to an EA station. The two stations near my house only have 4 chargers each and within the past few months both places I charge I now have to wait.

Bring on the larger stations......
why are you using EA to charge near your home?
is it because you do not have a charger at home?

JRNJTAYCAN

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
why are you using EA to charge near your home?
is it because you do not have a charger at home?
I do but the stations are 5 mins from my house and free for the first three years so I would rather use the free stations than use my own energy right now. Once my free charging is up I will use my home charger. It's just me being "cheap"!

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
I do but the stations are 5 mins from my house and free for the first three years so I would rather use the free stations than use my own energy right now. Once my free charging is up I will use my home charger. It's just me being "cheap"!
what is your time worth?
I don't drive very much so my charging is minimal, I have two EVs and my electric bill is minimally impacted by my charging, maybe $40 a month.
it is worth it to me to plug in at night and have a full charge in the morning.

JRNJTAYCAN

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
what is your time worth?
I don't drive very much so my charging is minimal, I have two EVs and my electric bill is minimally impacted by my charging, maybe $40 a month.
it is worth it to me to plug in at night and have a full charge in the morning.
It's not a big deal, I work from home and have a routine one a week where I go to the lot get my lunch (place next to the stations) and do a work call while sitting in the car. Breaks up my day sitting in my house doing work calls (-:

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
In 2022 one of every five cars sold in the US was an electric vehicle.
Citation needed. By any source I can find, EVs were between 5 and 6% of US car sales in 2022. It's a sizeable (and growing) share for sure, but far from 20%.

Still, the point is well taken - not everyone can or will charge at home.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Citation needed. By any source I can find, EVs were between 5 and 6% of US car sales in 2022. It's a sizeable (and growing) share for sure, but far from 20%.

Still, the point is well taken - not everyone can or will charge at home.
I think it's california - 20% EV sales for all new cars recently

https://evstatistics.com/2022/12/california-surpasses-20-percent-ev-sales-share-in-q3-2022/

not quite nationwide, but California is one of the largest vehicle markets by itself in the world - so indicative of future trends…potentially.

Porsche Taycan 1,000 Electrify America Chargers Coming to 200 TA Rest Stops Across the U.S. 25D09E10-390C-4296-9345-9BEECBA843B4

Last edited:

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
I think it's california - 20% EV sales for all new cars recently

https://evstatistics.com/2022/12/california-surpasses-20-percent-ev-sales-share-in-q3-2022/

not quite nationwide, but California is one of the largest vehicle markets by itself in the world - so indicative of future trends…potentially.
That's Q3, and it may be due to either the revised IRAct, the end-of-year push for fleet carbon emissions etc. Note I'm not disputing the trend, nor the need for improved infrastructure - just being pedantic about numbers.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That's Q3, and it may be due to either the revised IRAct, the end-of-year push for fleet carbon emissions etc. Note I'm not disputing the trend, nor the need for improved infrastructure - just being pedantic about numbers.
I agree about being accurate about the numbers

but the trends is clear, and we're already selling more EV's each unit of time measured that anyone would've guessed (other than those in the EV community) - I believe it's becoming increasinging clear purchasing an EV vs. gas car is about a 50/50 proposition for most new car purchasers in the next 2-4 years - i.e. they are very open to the idea and there are good choices - and it's also probably safe to assert that _IF_ they do not buy an EV - they are about to buy their last ICE vehicle - and probabilty increases to nearly 90% that their 2nd car purchase in the next 8-15 years will be an EV…

california has flirted with 20% EV sales now I believe for Q3 and Q4 - and I be surprised to see that trend go the other way…sideways to up is I believe a reasonable bet from here on out…

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I agree about being accurate about the numbers

but the trends is clear, and we're already selling more EV's each unit of time measured that anyone would've guessed (other than those in the EV community) - I believe it's becoming increasinging clear purchasing an EV vs. gas car is about a 50/50 proposition for most new car purchasers in the next 2-4 years - i.e. they are very open to the idea and there are good choices - and it's also probably safe to assert that _IF_ they do not buy an EV - they are about to buy their last ICE vehicle - and probabilty increases to nearly 90% that their 2nd car purchase in the next 8-15 years will be an EV…

california has flirted with 20% EV sales now I believe for Q3 and Q4 - and I be surprised to see that trend go the other way…sideways to up is I believe a reasonable bet from here on out…
I dont' agree with "a lot worse" - I do agree I don't anticipate it getting dramatically better "soon" but it has to get better otherwise _ALL_ CCS vehicle sales will stall out…

also the supercharger network opening to CCS vehicle in North America would be a game changer, and that's not imposible to happen sooner rather than later, but also not certain to happen...

in any case it will be interesting and we're still in early days…

the CCS network is a disappointment and it will have to get better otherwise "houston we have a problem"...

BayAreaKen

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 650i Convertible
Country flag
I'm really much more interesting in EA announcing some sort of "you can charge" guarantee vs. continuously touting what unreliable sites they are building out…

I want to arrive at a site and:
  • find most/all of the stalls "in service"
  • a strong cell signal or free wifi to aid activation
    • point-of-sale readers actually functional for direct payment
  • all stations providing at least 120 kW charge rate
  • activation in 2 min or less after I initiate "charging/session-activation"
  • completion of the charging session with low probability of interruption
none of the above bullet points are true most of the time at most CCS stations…this is the core problem.

Doesn't seem like unreasonable requests.

TYKHAAAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Ram 2500, Kia EV9
I would say that as long as you aren’t having other cars waiting to charge up, go for it. But if you are charging at a fast charger AND you have the ability to charge at home AND cause other folks to have to wait on you to charge, that’s not good charger etiquette IMO. It adds to the problem (of which yes, if they get those stations rolling out, then its problem solved anyway). Just my 2 cents.
Sponsored