199 miles in the winter?

AR2017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Macan Turbo
Country flag
Hi new on here. Considering switching to TCT, have to regularly drive between Peak District and Essex, 199 miles. Is this realistically achievable on a single charge in winter months???
TIA
Sponsored

Caraholic

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F430, Cayman S, JKU
Country flag
Not sure I have a turbo sedan and in the summer I am only getting 210 miles. This is with mission E’s

DoctorLife

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Like Caraholic, I have a Turbo saloon 2023, 2000 miles on the clock. I get 210-220 miles doing 12 miles round trip to and from work and have no issues with the occasional longer journey for holidays. That's in Summer, no AC (hardly use it in Summer in the UK).

In winter, using AC, lights, heated seats and steering wheel etc I expect that to drop especially as the Taycan is there to be driven hard and enjoyed, not hypermiled.

I would say depending on conditions, tyre size, model, using PB+ and a wearing a very thick coat to keep warm, you might get 199 miles in winter on a single charge using Range Mode...but you may end up at <5% SOC when range anxiety will probably kill your nerves. Best to factor in a quick charge at some point in the journey at an Ionity or alternative, especially as it may need to be charged daily to 100% if that's the journey you are doing regularly.

I would expect the upcoming Macan EV to have better range, with larger battery so if there is concern, you could wait for that as you already have a Macan. For me the Taycan works brilliantly.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
Hi new on here. Considering switching to TCT, have to regularly drive between Peak District and Essex, 199 miles. Is this realistically achievable on a single charge in winter months???
TIA
the answer depends on factors not given, speed, temps, rain or wind. my 4s only shows about 215 miles @ 100 soc and that will be cut in temps below freezing. so in a general sense you would probably need to stop for a short charge on a 199 mile trip

JAGMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 CT4
Country flag
I’ve had a 4CT through one winter. My experiences are that 199 miles is at the upper end of the range limit in winter. This is at 25F and on 20” winter Aero wheels.

When I say upper limit, I mean you may have 180-199 of range depending on some of the factors mentioned by others.

It’s not a good fit. Now, If the temperature is 40 degrees F, no problem.

Amelio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Older Tesla P85DL+, Shopping for a Taycan
Country flag
Weighing in with my EV experience only but my older T gets 388km in hot summer weather and takes up to a 30% hit in -10 to -20 cel winters here in Canada. As others have said, I think a mid trip top up would reduce this white knuckle drive!

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
It seems we may have lost OP's interest, but here it goes anyway: my most consistent data comes from a regular trip I make at least once per week during wintertime - distance, average speed etc. is all within ~10% (worst to best). Temperatures vary a bit, and the worst impact will be weather itself - if there's snow on the ground efficiency drops significantly.

Based on a quick look at the data, I'm using between 55 and 60 kWh for a round trip of between 126 and 136 miles. I can make this with a starting SoC of 85% and return with a comfortable SoC level. 200 miles on a single charge is really borderline (comes to ~87kWh) and leaves no room for error/deviations of any kind (weather, traffic detours etc.)

DougFrisk

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No longer awaiting a 4CT
Country flag
I’ve had a 4CT through one winter. My experiences are that 199 miles is at the upper end of the range limit in winter. This is at 25F and on 20” winter Aero wheels.

When I say upper limit, I mean you may have 180-199 of range depending on some of the factors mentioned by others.

It’s not a good fit. Now, If the temperature is 40 degrees F, no problem.
Is that on large highway type roads for a single trip, or across multiple trips? Because for the type of trip the OP has proposed it's 200 miles of what looks like limited access highways where adaptive cruise and a speed not far above the limit could combine to give a very good range.

For me, I'm looking at it being 150 miles between Duluth and Minneapolis but it's a straight shot along I-35 and I'm anticipating that the car will overperform on that route if I set the ACC to 75 and just go with the flow.

JAGMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 CT4
Country flag
My statement of 199 being at the upper limit was based on a longer road trip. In winter, it’s a double-edged sword: short trips use far more energy for the first 10-20 minutes of driving as it attempts brings the battery up to temperature and heat the cabin. It takes me 5% to do my 4 mile round trip commute, which is obviously very short.

My experience was that longer trips fair better than short in the winter, but still suffer the 20% range reduction. For me, it’s not a range problem, its a charging availability problem. A greater abundance of charging would make these issues moot.

If I had a 199-mile daily commute, I would not want to have to stop and charge, and for that commute, it might be too close for comfort…
Sponsored