100% charge showing 175 mile range

Doc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I should really document each journey in detail, as of late, my half hearted observations have been to satisfy my curiosity.

I've been unable to control what temperature the battery preheats achieves. I'm just about to finish work and the car has been charged to 82% on a 7Kw charger. I've just looked and the battery is reporting 22 Celsius. The other day when I charged overnight at home, the next morning the battery was at 28! I believe charging is what heats the battery because I've plugged the car in overnight without needing a charge and if I recall correctly, the next morning the battery temp was in the high teens. I'll have to test that out again sometime!.

I have two timers and two profiles set-up (work and home). Recently I've switched the battery to min charge to 55% and optimised thereafter with a target of 80% on departure/preheat cabin to 22.
Thanks. It would be great if we could find a way that works consistently to pre-heat the battery. I think you are right that an extended charging session seems to heat the battery which probably means it is just the act of charging that heats the battery rather than the car actually pre-conditioning the battery, which is annoying since it would mean having to ensure the car has been charging for an extended period of time immediately before leaving. As per some of the other posts on this thread, since temperatures started to dip below around 20C/70F, my range has progressively begun to suck - currently much closer to the Turbo EPA estimates, and sometimes a fair bit below.
Sponsored

GEE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan
Country flag
Just finished my journey home.

Started off with 82% battery, warmed to 22 but dropped to 21 when I left.

I went A roads (70%this time, so it was 28.2 miles in total. Max speed 65mph due to smart motorway/highway speed was 60.

Outside temp 8.0 Celsius.
38.3 kWh / 100 miles reported for trip
avg speed 43
31 mins journey time
battery temp increased to 25 Celsius

I finished journey with 71% (more likely to be closer to 70%).

Range mode was used this time with auto regen (I don’t used the standard regen).

GileP

First Name
Giles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I've been switching between sport and normal but mainly in sport. Not tried range, I'll give that a try. Yes pretty damp and cold up here in Manchester. Thank you for replying
Some more real world experience. I have a 4s, battery plus, 6,000 miles on the clock. went from Leeds to Mancherster airport last night so about 130 mile round trip mostly motorway. three people on the way there and four plus some luggage on the way back. temperature was about 9 degrees and there was little wind. Car was driven on normal mode and at normal motorway speeds in light traffic. Started with 100% charge which was down to 33% by the time I got home which suggests a total range of 194 miles.

I decided to get the car thinking I could just charge at home as long as I never travelled further than 100 miles from home. Thinking now that maybe this is too optimistic...

Last edited:

Doc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Just finished my journey home.

Started off with 82% battery, warmed to 22 but dropped to 21 when I left.

I went A roads (70%this time, so it was 28.2 miles in total. Max speed 65mph due to smart motorway/highway speed was 60.

Outside temp 8.0 Celsius.
38.3 kWh / 100 miles reported for trip
avg speed 43
31 mins journey time
battery temp increased to 25 Celsius

I finished journey with 71% (more likely to be closer to 70%).

Range mode was used this time with auto regen (I don’t used the standard regen).
That's really interesting, thanks for posting. So with a consumption of 38.3, if we assume the battery usable capacity is 83.7kwh as originally reported by Porsche, the extrapolated range is about 218 miles. Based upon battery usage though, 28.2 miles taking up 12% (let's assume the battery was more like 70% when you got back), is a range of 235 miles. That suggests perhaps that the usable capacity of the battery is more than 83.7kwh. Anyway, either way, that's pretty good range for a short journey when the temperature is only 8C. I certainly would not get that (even in range mode), so the battery being warm when you started has got to be the reason.

andyd

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Mclaren 570GT, Cayenne
Country flag
Thats worth a shot.
Cheers

I found mine would mist up too on eco (side windows and windscreen). So I directed the outer air vents to blast the side windows and for the windscreen, I also change the airflow from auto to being slightly higher. So far, it does the job.

Tonytones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S; Volvo xc90; Audi R8
Country flag
Some more real world experience. I have a 4s, battery plus, 6,000 miles on the clock. went from Leeds to Mancherster airport last night so about 130 mile round trip mostly motorway. three people on the way there and four plus some luggage on the way back. temperature was about 9 degrees and there was little wind. Car was driven on normal mode and at normal motorway speeds in light traffic. Started with 100% charge which was down to 33% by the time I got home which suggests a total range of 194 miles.

I decided to get the car thinking I could just charge at home as long as I never travelled further than 100 miles from home.
[/QUOTE]

That's pretty much the numbers I have here too.
4S with Performance Battery ; 6900 km so far (4,300 miles)
Commute of 200km (125 miles) total (return) twice a week plus little city trips during the rest of the week.
Profile set to 85%.
Today outside temp 5,0C (40F), pretty heavy rain, average speed of 110kmh (70mph) for the whole trip so that means highway strech at 130-140kmh (80-90mph) and city driving at 50-60kmh (30-40mph). Winter aero kit 20''.
Started at 85% finished at 15% , heated steering wheel, and seat and some massage and cabin heat at 22,5C (72F) Normal mode selected.
Total trip 201 km (126 miles)

As you can see, not ideal conditions, but will definitely get worse during ''real'' winter.
Extrapolated 100% range 287 km (180 miles)
Let's hope it doesn't continue to drop that much in the coming months...

Doc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag

I decided to get the car thinking I could just charge at home as long as I never travelled further than 100 miles from home.

That's pretty much the numbers I have here too.
4S with Performance Battery ; 6900 km so far (4,300 miles)
Commute of 200km (125 miles) total (return) twice a week plus little city trips during the rest of the week.
Profile set to 85%.
Today outside temp 5,0C (40F), pretty heavy rain, average speed of 110kmh (70mph) for the whole trip so that means highway strech at 130-140kmh (80-90mph) and city driving at 50-60kmh (30-40mph). Winter aero kit 20''.
Started at 85% finished at 15% , heated steering wheel, and seat and some massage and cabin heat at 22,5C (72F) Normal mode selected.
Total trip 201 km (126 miles)

As you can see, not ideal conditions, but will definitely get worse during ''real'' winter.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the data. I am really hopeful that maybe the Taycan hits its “floor” quickly, since I seem to remember (could be wrong) that way back Don Louv’s consumption figures in the real depths of the Canadian Winter extrapolated out to around 180 miles total range. What has surprised me though is that the car has very quickly approached the EPA figures even with only a small dip in temperature to fairly mild temps. That is of course if you don’t precondition the battery which just doesn’t seem easy to do at home without charging for a significant period immediately before leaving (will carry on testing!).

GEE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan
Country flag
I didn't plug in my car last night. This morning, battery reported at 70% (slight drop due to preheat).

I did the same journey as last night, but the opposite way (28.3 miles).

Outside temp 4.5 Celsius.
39.9 kWh / 100 miles reported for trip
avg speed 40
42 mins journey time
battery temp started at 12 and increased to 16 Celsius by the end of the journey.

Finished with 54% remaining.

GEE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan
Country flag
Thanks for the data. I am really hopeful that maybe the Taycan hits its “floor” quickly, since I seem to remember (could be wrong) that way back Don Louv’s consumption figures in the real depths of the Canadian Winter extrapolated out to around 180 miles total range. What has surprised me though is that the car has very quickly approached the EPA figures even with only a small dip in temperature to fairly mild temps. That is of course if you don’t precondition the battery which just doesn’t seem easy to do at home without charging for a significant period immediately before leaving (will carry on testing!).
I've been meaning to carry out some tests to see if I can increase the battery temp without charging. One thought I've had is to load a long journey into the sat nav via the connect app just before my scheduled preheat is due to start. I'm hoping the car reacts to the journey by preconditioning the battery more.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I didn't plug in my car last night. This morning, battery reported at 70% (slight drop due to preheat).

I did the same journey as last night, but the opposite way (28.3 miles).

Outside temp 4.5 Celsius.
39.9 kWh / 100 miles reported for trip
avg speed 40
42 mins journey time
battery temp started at 12 and increased to 16 Celsius by the end of the journey.

Finished with 54% remaining.
Would be interesting to see what the result would be if you plug in and set both charge and preheat at a time before you plan to leave. And similar temperatures. I have seen that it takes a long time to heat the battery a few degrees since it’s mass is some 700 kg. It is also not known how Taycan will preheat the battery. Will it use only the heater or also the the motors in some stage?

GEE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan
Country flag
Would be interesting to see what the result would be if you plug in and set both charge and preheat at a time before you plan to leave. And similar temperatures. I have seen that it takes a long time to heat the battery a few degrees since it’s mass is some 700 kg. It is also not known how Taycan will preheat the battery. Will it use only the heater or also the the motors in some stage?
It is going to get colder here over the next few days so I'll do some more tests.

Never thought it might use the motors to assist with preheat. I always thought it just required electricity.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
It is going to get colder here over the next few days so I'll do some more tests.

Never thought it might use the motors to assist with preheat. I always thought it just required electricity.
You are correct, it requires electricity of course. But for my model 3 Tesla it does something with the motors even if I do not drive the car. And that preheats the battery. It can draw up to my max 11kW of power but then the temperature of the motor can increase quite a lot! I have seen quite high temperature from the motor. It only draws 11 kW for a limited time and then settles in at 2.7 or 2.9 kW. Perhaps uses 3 phase in the beginning and then continues with just one phase. But it certainly can heat t he battery from 8 degrees to about 20 degrees in about 30 to 40 minutes!

I guess the same happens when you start driving the car and this will bring a very high consumption for short trips in the Tesla.

I have no idea on how this is implemented in the Taycan and I can not test it as yet since it is too warm still. Maybe I can do this later in the week as we are said to be in for some colder weather shortly. Will park the car outside and plug it in there to see?

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I have just had my Turbo for around a week and done 330 miles from new. I charged it fully at home and at 100% I was showing a range of 210 miles. I was told that this sort of range is expected in normal use and that around 240 could be expected in long runs on the motorway.
You can expect up to 100 miles more, but it all depends on your driving style use of AC and outside temp.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Dress up super warm and don't use AC/heater for the trip and check consumption. What is the difference? :)
Sponsored